Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming to all of you since you are much more knowledgeable that I am. She has indicated she is thinking of getting her 10 year old daughter a dog. She is worried about puppy mills, illnesses etc... with small dogs. She asked about Maltese. I explained all I've learned from all of you about these things but I don't know what to recommend for her to do.

I'm assuming any dog you get from a pet store will be puppy mill. However what if it's a mutt or not a pure bread? I don't really think she is concerned about that.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
Stay away from pet stores - all of the puppies - no matter what breed (or crossbreed) are from mills.

If she wants a maltese - tell her to go to a reputable show breeder.
I know there is a list but not sure where - someone eles will post it :)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Hi Lisa. So nice of you to help your friend with her search. I would strongly advise against getting a dog of ANY kind, purebred or not, from any sort of pet store. I would recommend your friend start visiting local shelters and speaking with rescues to find a dog that would be the best match for her family...a good place to start is Petfinder.com. That is where I found my Bailey. In my experience, most rescues are very careful about placing small dogs in homes with kids, but if she starts speaking with rescues in her area, they can help match her with a dog whose personality is the best match for her family.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
A breed rescue is the better then the pound. I know with the Maltese and Golden Rescue's they are fully vetted - just add food and love!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Lisa. So nice of you to help your friend with her search. I would strongly advise against getting a dog of ANY kind, purebred or not, from any sort of pet store. I would recommend your friend start visiting local shelters and speaking with rescues to find a dog that would be the best match for her family...a good place to start is Petfinder.com. That is where I found my Bailey. In my experience, most rescues are very careful about placing small dogs in homes with kids, but if she starts speaking with rescues in her area, they can help match her with a dog whose personality is the best match for her family.
Thanks for the info. What exactly is petfinder.com? I have heard of it and another friend found her puppy on there but don't really know what it really is.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Her daughter is extremely gentle and 10 years old. They had a cat for 14 years and recently lost it. The mother loves animals but I think getting a cat is too much for her right now. Her daughter is probably one of the sweetest and kindest children I know.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So how does she find a rescue? Sorry to be so dumb. But I never heard of this until I found all of you here.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
You could go to www.petfinder.com and then you can put in your search criteria. Most rescues will not place smaller dogs in a home with children under 10, but you mentioned her daughter is 10 so I can't imagine this would be too big of an issue. If you do not want to use petfinder you can suggest she go to her local shelter and see what is avaliable there. I wouldn't suggest getting an animal as a gift but making the person for whom the pet is for part of the search and selection - especially if it's a child - they may feel more responsibility for the animal that way. Please don't apologize for asking questions - they are always welcome!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
You want to be careful no matter where you go. With a 10 yr. old you don't want to wind up with a dog with aggression issues. Petfinder.com leads you to rescue dogs in your area. You just plug in your city and preferences in a pet, etc. It will show you lists and info on each dog.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
As for breed rescues if it's Maltese they are interested in there are two:

American Maltese Assoc. Rescue - some of their rescues are here in the Rescue sub-forum Rescue Maltese For Adoption, and on Petfinder.com.

Northcentral Maltese Rescue - currently they have 20 adoptable dogs.
Maltese Rescue Available Dogs

Other breeds have their own rescue. Just choose the breed and enter it with the word rescue in the keyword search area and it will list the rescue. :)

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
The good thing about some of the Maltese Rescues is sometimes they are a little bigger so not quite as fragile and better for kids. I would think if your friend had a cat and the daughter helped care for it, there won't be much of a problem since she's over 10. What cute adoptees Marsha just posted at NCMR.:wub:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts