Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my heart is still pounding nearly an hour later. :crying: I opened the store by myself this morning. Went back out a few times, carrying the outdoor signs, getting laptop out of the car, etc. Piper sat on a little rug and watched me. That is what she has always done.

Last trip back in....no Piper. I called, went back outside and looked up and down the street. Nothing. Back inside, all over the store, in the back. Nothing.

So I stepped outside again in time to see her go off the curb into the (4lane) street. This is a busy downtown area. I was afraid to run at her, so I walked toward her, opened my arms and called her in my happiest (shaky) voice. lol She just looked at me but she stopped so I was able to grab her. Just then someone from the business next door ran out...she'd seen Piper in the parking lot and was coming to help. Sheesh.

We've practiced sit-stay on the rug by the door a few times now. The mailman helped by letting me get her in position before he went out. Hopefully we'll get thru this teenager stage unscathed.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
YIKES!!!! Heart attack city for sure...thank God for a happy ending!!! Maybe you need to babygate her or crate her til the store opening stuff gets done just in case it could ever happen again

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
They are such little stinkers, sometimes. I think we've all been there at one time or another. We have a fenced in yard. There's been a few times I couldn't find one of the fluffs outdoors in our yard. (On a nice day, it's in and out...in and out. They were back in the house sound asleep.) :blush: :smilie_tischkante: I know the feeling, it feels like your heart sinks into your stomach. So glad all ended well. :aktion033:

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
AAH! Yikes!!! That is so scary!!! Thank goodness you were able to get her off the street safely!

That is so great that you are able to take her to your store with you! Do you have a section of the store that you can gate off (behind the counter maybe?)...that would be good for times when you have to run out, or when there are a lot of customers going in and out.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Oh Tanya :w00t::w00t: These little guys and gals are trying to kill us. How many heart attacks can we have?:angry::HistericalSmiley: So glad you got a happy ending. Maybe if you attach Pipers harness and leash to something in the store while you load in it might help avoid Piper's adventures.:new_shocked:

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Oh, I'll bet your heart skipped a beat. You never know what a little one is going to do.......so glad you got her back in!!!! :chili:

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Oh my word! What a scare that must have been for you.:eek: I'm so glad she stopped!:smheat: "Stop" is a command that my girls know and we practice it from time to time. Their lives just might depend on it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks you guys. Thanks for your kindness, and for not berating me. Believe me, I have watched so carefully, but she never wanted to go out (til today). The lady next door said if she EVER sees her again she will nab her. Word has it that this lady, who owns 3 dogs, vaulted across the counter to run outside when she saw her --> in the REFLECTION in the bank across the street! Imagine!

I know you're right, I need to confine her. We have wide open spaces so the only thing I can do is close her in the carrier or shut her in the back room, which I do if we're busy. Also I have called the pet store owner, who thankfully is a friend and asked her to make a delivery--she is bringing harnesses for me to choose from! How's that for service? That way I'll have one at each place (home/work). Today I have a leash, but no collar or harness with me....who knew how the day would go.

And as word is spreading and everyone is coming in to talk to Piper about it, I'm having them go out the door while we practice a good solid sit-stay. She really wants to bolt. *sigh*

April -- "stop" sounds useful. I'll add that to our repertoire.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Wow, that is heart stopping!!!! My imagination went into overdrive........
Glad she is not hurt and learns to stay put.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'm so happy that she's safe! It only takes a second for them to run off, and they can be so unpredictable. A harness and leash sounds like a great idea. Give that little girl a hug from us.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Tanya, how about a pen? Not sure if you've used the Iris pens, but we had a couple of threads about them recently. I have two, one in each size, and I love them both. If there's no corner in your store that would work with a gate, a pen might work well. Amazon.com: Iris CI-604 Indoor/Outdoor Plastic Pet Pen, 4 Panels: Home & Garden

If not, I also think securing her with a harness and leash sounds like a good idea too!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I am sure most of us here have gone through that scare one time or another. As much as you try, you have to be realistic, nothing is 100% foolproof. Accidents happen. Be just happy you were able to catch her before something happened to her.:grouphug:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thank goodness she's okay and nothing happened! I can only imagine how you felt :( I would be a wreck if I couldn't find Butters too. I always get scared whenever someone opens the front door because he likes following people out as well!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts