Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Would you please tell me if three months is to young for professional grooming? I bathe Lucy one a week and brush her daily (somtimes twice, because she loves to be brushed.)

However, I worry about the hair around her eyes, I know nothing about clipping the hair myself, hence the grooming.

I would like to keep her hair in the "puppy cut" style as we live very close to the ocean, and that's where we take our daily walks.

I have to admit, she's the baby girl that I never had - - - I am looking forward to seeing her in dresses :wub:

Thank you for the help,

Allie

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
The general rule of thumb is to wait until she's had all of her vaccinations + an additional 2 weeks. After that, she is fine to go in public places, on the ground, in grooming salons, etc. :)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
It will be closer to 16-18 weeks before she is fully immunized. The effectiveness of those early vaccinations are blocked by the antibodies she got from nursing. At 12 weeks, her chances of being immunized are only about 50%.

In one study of a cross section of different puppies the age at which they were able to respond to a vaccine and develop protection covered a wide period of time. At six weeks of age, 25% of the puppies could be immunized. At 9 weeks of age, 40% of the puppies were able to respond to the vaccine. The number increased to 60% by 16 weeks, and by 18 weeks of age, 95% of the puppies could be immunized.

Parvovirus: Serious Diarrhea in Puppies & Dogs

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my, yes, that makes perfect sense -

I did interview several groomers - the only thing that they required was a rabies certificate. I will check with our Vet.

Speaking of groomers, (I did all of my own grooming for my cockers) - but Lucy is so very tiny, I wanted to leave it to someone who was replete in that area. What an awakening to the different styles in which groomers use - some were down right freighting.

Thank you!

Allie

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read through the site and decided that I was competent enough to trim Lucy's hair around her eyes. It actually came out pretty good.

Thanks again for the assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts