Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if any of you can give me some direction with both the Flea & TIck prevention and the Heartworm. I have heard that it is different with each dog, but I was wondering if the maltese breed has one they tolerate and respond the best to. THanks for all the guidance that I recieve from all of you. My Bentley is so wonderful and we will mark our 1st month of having him brighten our home tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I use "Sentinel Flavor Tabs" for both Kallie and Catcher... the 2-10 pound dose. It is for fleas and heartworms and KNOCK ON WOOD, I've never had any problems.....

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It depends on what you need protection from. We have ticks here as well as heartworm so I use Interceptor and Frontline. If you just have fleas, Sentinel or Interceptor and Advantage will work.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I use frontline on sunny and i am really NOT happy with it, when it runs out i am going to try something else.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
do you have to worry about heartworm in your area? i got advantix and no fleas here. and i dont have to worry about heartworm or lyme disease in my area. i dont really have to worry about fleas....but just in case, you know? i hope someone can help you more about this.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I've been wondering about this too-were suppose to get 80 degree weather this week and it seems we get fleas as soon as it heats up a bit-can you buy these products at Petco or Petsmart or do you have to get them from your vet?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Feb 27 2005, 03:05 AM
I use Sentinal for both Wally (Beagle) and Toby (Malt) and have never had a problem.  In fact, I just switched vets, and she was asking me questions about both dogs and asked about heartworm and I told her that they were on Sentinal and she was very pleased; she said it is one of the better brands.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38076
[/QUOTE]
Glad to hear that since that is what K & C are on. My breeder uses one of the types you put on their bodies and I know that my vet is not "sold" on that type. He said he prefers to wait until a certain number of doses are out there (or something like that) to make sure no unexpected problems come up.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I am having a really bad flea proublem, its so hard to go threw all of sunny's hair with a flea comb but i usually end up having to do that. I will have to try some of this other stuff you guys mentioned becuase the fleas are just awful here, at least we havnt been having tick proublems those things gross me out so much.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Feb 27 2005, 12:42 PM
I am having a really bad flea proublem, its so hard to go threw all of sunny's hair with a flea comb but i usually end up having to do that.  I will have to try some of this other stuff you guys mentioned becuase the fleas are just awful here, at least we havnt been having tick proublems those things gross me out so much.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38155
[/QUOTE]

We have flea probs too...I have JUST about kicked it over the winter...and they will be back again in a few weeks!

Here are my suggestions!

1) Get a couple Capstar tablets from the vet-it kills the fleas on the body within a few minutes

2) A good flea/tick bath and wash all bedding/blankets etc...

3) Advantage or Frontline (advantage worked better for me)

4) Have the pest control people come and spray down the house REALLY good for fleas!

5) Follow their directions to vacuum the carpet...throw out the vacuum bag and put a flea/tick collar in the new bag.

6) Don't bathe as often, as LadyM told me that Advantage is more succeptible to being washed off than Frontline is

7) Repeat all steps until the problem is gone

They are tricky little suckers! I just thought I had them licked and the other day I found ONE flea on Brink....but when I gave him a bath the same day, there were no more on him. I just don't get it! They are evidently still hanging out SOMEWHERE! ugh! But, doing all this has definetely helped !!!! I DREAD spring and summer for this very reason!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Feb 27 2005, 12:48 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Feb 27 2005, 12:42 PM
I am having a really bad flea proublem, its so hard to go threw all of sunny's hair with a flea comb but i usually end up having to do that.  I will have to try some of this other stuff you guys mentioned becuase the fleas are just awful here, at least we havnt been having tick proublems those things gross me out so much.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38155

We have flea probs too...I have JUST about kicked it over the winter...and they will be back again in a few weeks!

Here are my suggestions!

1) Get a couple Capstar tablets from the vet-it kills the fleas on the body within a few minutes

2) A good flea/tick bath and wash all bedding/blankets etc...

3) Advantage or Frontline (advantage worked better for me)

4) Have the pest control people come and spray down the house REALLY good for fleas!

5) Follow their directions to vacuum the carpet...throw out the vacuum bag and put a flea/tick collar in the new bag.

6) Don't bathe as often, as LadyM told me that Advantage is more succeptible to being washed off than Frontline is

7) Repeat all steps until the problem is gone

They are tricky little suckers! I just thought I had them licked and the other day I found ONE flea on Brink....but when I gave him a bath the same day, there were no more on him. I just don't get it! They are evidently still hanging out SOMEWHERE! ugh! But, doing all this has definetely helped !!!! I DREAD spring and summer for this very reason!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38158
[/B][/QUOTE]

I never had flea proublems with past dogs, but this if the first dog i have had at this house, so its just getting really frustration. Expecially because i always and hugging sunny and having him on the couch and stuff with me lol. Right now he is flea free but i dont know how long its gonna last, the vet told me i could put the frontline on him as often as ever 2 weeks so i have been putting it on ever 3 weeks but it just dosnt seem to effect them at all. I am thinking its my cat that brings them into the house becuase she is indoor out door and we dont use flea stuff on her becuase she will scratch the heck out of you if you even try something like that.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@Feb 27 2005, 01:17 PM
I use Frontline for fleas,ticks & Heartgard Plus for heartworm.You have to treat any cats that you have also.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38165
[/QUOTE]

OH yeah...I did that too!!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
This post is actually from LadyMontava, her computer will not let her post on here for some reason. She emailed me this comment to post here.
:

this is a post from ladymontava, if u are having a flea problem, sentinal isnt the best for fleas. it contains the products program and interceptor in it. program just sterilizes the flea so she cant reproduce. so if u have lots of fleas they will continue to bite ur animal. other wise it is a good product. if u live in an area where fleas are a problem, i recommend frontline or advantage. i personnaly prefer advantage, but its fault is that it washes off. if u bathe ur pup more than once a month, you would have to use a soap free shampoo with advantage. but it is the safest, and the dermatologists at the vetschool prefer it also.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Feb 27 2005, 01:52 PM
This post is actually from LadyMontava, her computer will not let her post on here for some reason.  She emailed me this comment to post here.
:

this is a post from ladymontava, if u are having a flea problem, sentinal isnt the best for fleas.  it contains the products program and interceptor in it.  program just sterilizes the flea so she cant reproduce.  so if u have lots of fleas they will continue to bite ur animal.  other wise it is a good product.  if u live in an area where fleas are a problem, i recommend frontline or advantage.  i personnaly prefer advantage, but its fault is that it washes off.  if u bathe ur pup more than once a month, you would have to use a soap free shampoo with advantage.  but it is the safest, and the dermatologists at the vetschool prefer it also.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38178
[/QUOTE]

Caesar's Mommie, Ask her if she's using a Mac. There are times when the only computer I have available is a Mac and I can't get SM to work right sometimes...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Feb 27 2005, 01:56 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Caesar's Mommie
@Feb 27 2005, 01:52 PM
This post is actually from LadyMontava, her computer will not let her post on here for some reason.  She emailed me this comment to post here.
:

this is a post from ladymontava, if u are having a flea problem, sentinal isnt the best for fleas.  it contains the products program and interceptor in it.  program just sterilizes the flea so she cant reproduce.  so if u have lots of fleas they will continue to bite ur animal.  other wise it is a good product.  if u live in an area where fleas are a problem, i recommend frontline or advantage.  i personnaly prefer advantage, but its fault is that it washes off.  if u bathe ur pup more than once a month, you would have to use a soap free shampoo with advantage.  but it is the safest, and the dermatologists at the vetschool prefer it also.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38178

Caesar's Mommie, Ask her if she's using a Mac. There are times when the only computer I have available is a Mac and I can't get SM to work right sometimes...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38179
[/B][/QUOTE]

LadyM said she is not using a Mac...Joe is trying to help her figure out the problem. She can read, but she can't post...

·
Registered
416 Posts
I fortunately never have problems with any of my Macs

Anyway, Boom is on interceptor now and I'm trying to figure out what to use flea wise..
He gets a bath about weekly in the summer (he likes to play outside) so whats best? Last year I used hartz 4+ and learned a nasty lesson there...

is frontline ok?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I use Interceptor for heartworm preventative and Frontline spray for fleas and ticks. I have been using the spray for years and it used to be harder to find, but I see it in all the catalogues now. (Even PetEdge). It's much more economical since I can use it on my cats, too. I think the $$ is in the little disposable applicator.

As far as a house infestation, get some Adams carpet powder (not the spray). I read that it's the best and I totally agree. You sprinkle it on, work it in with a broom, then vaccum it up. It lasts for year.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Feb 26 2005, 07:32 PM
It depends on what you need protection from. We have ticks here as well as heartworm so I use Interceptor and Frontline. If you just have fleas, Sentinel or Interceptor and Advantage will work.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38008
[/QUOTE]

I too use interceptor brown and frontline on Abby. Also, because I'm a worry-wart mostly, I give Abby a dose of Drontal Worming Suspension liquid about every 2-3 months - just to make extra sure! It's the same thing she was given from 4 weeks old by the breeder until she was old enough to have her shots and go on normal preventatives.... I checked with the vet and he said it wouldn't hurt to do it (but he did have a bit of a chuckle that I was so desperate to keep giving it to her!
)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Mar 1 2005, 08:26 AM
I use Interceptor for heartworm preventative and Frontline spray for fleas and ticks. I have been using the spray for years and it used to be harder to find, but I see it in all the catalogues now. (Even PetEdge). It's much more economical since I can use it on my cats, too. I think the $$ is in the little disposable applicator.

As far as a house infestation, get some Adams carpet powder (not the spray). I read that it's the best and I totally agree. You sprinkle it on, work it in with a broom, then vaccum it up. It lasts for year.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38845
[/QUOTE]

LadysMom what about with wooden floors? And yards?

I haven't had any major problems with Abby and fleas and ticks etc but I would like to start doing the house and yard on a regular basis - there has been a bit of an influx in the horrible little vermin in this area because of the weather etc... I haven't really noticed any but want to make sure!!

And should I wash her blankets etc with a certain product or just keep washing them regularly?

Just asking because I know you know so much about all of this type of stuff!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts