Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i can not get rid of fleas on Sunny. Yesterday I gave him a bath with this really strong flea shampoo I got from the vet (everytime I read the warning label on that bottle I feel awful for having to cover Sunny in that stuff) just every flea on him dead then went there every inch of him with a flea comb. I blow dried him and put on frontline and now just a day later i already see 3 fleas on him !!! I am going crazy trying to get rid of them I put frontline on the cat even though I have never seen a flea on her, i clean my sheet....i got new sheets. I vacumed the rugs, used a carpet cleaner in my room. I just dont know what to do should i try a differnt product? I cant get the law sprayed because its HUGE so that isnt really an option, but I dont see why if he is outside for maybe 20 min a day total it would be such a big deal. I am putting the frontline on him every 2 weeks becuase the vet said I could and if I give him a bath and it hasnt been long enough to put on more frontline I have soap free shampoo I use so the frontline wont wash off

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We had a flea issue this fall and Brinkley hardly EVER went out b/c he potties on the wee pads! The Frontline just wasn't cutting it for some reason. I finally switched from Frontline to Advantage, and it did the trick. I don't know why. We also had the house sprayed by the exterminators a couple times. Fleas are included in our quarterly contract...they will come back and spray as many times as needed. I put some flea collars on the cats for awhile and put TWO in my vacuum bag. I was getting REALLY irritated. Those are as bad as my ants in the other thread to me....
Anyway, we JUST got them OUT...I haven't seen any in several weeks on him-and spring is here...
so hopefully we can keep them at bay through spring.

I will say that the Capstar pills work great to kill them instantly when you have a big problem. Then you can bathe them and apply the Advantage. Another reason I switched to Advantage was for cost effectiveness. LadyM told me that the cat/dog formula of the Advantage is exactly the same....so I now buy the doses for the LARGE dogs 55+ and split one tube b/w my three cats and Brink...it is MUCH cheaper that way.

Good luck!
I know those little boogers can irritate ya!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright I will give advantage a try since I pretty much out of frontline anyways,3 months worth is lasting me a month and a half lol

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I was using Advantage and it was not working for me. So I switched to Frontline just this month.

I talked to the vet about the flea problem and she said it would be a battle with all the hair and the area I live in. She asked me step by step of how I put the meds on. I always give Puddles a bath, blow dry him, comb down and then was putting the Advantage on. She thought that was my problem, there wre not enough oil on the skin for it to work. That he should not be bathe for 3 days prior to putting on any flea meds. So I have tried that, we will see what happens.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Apr 16 2005, 09:11 AM
I was using Advantage and it was not working for me. So I switched to Frontline just this month.

I talked to the vet about the flea problem and she said it would be a battle with all the hair and the area I live in. She asked me step by step of how I put the meds on.  I always give Puddles a bath, blow dry him, comb down and then was putting the Advantage on. She thought that was my problem, there wre not enough oil on the skin for it to work. That he should not be bathe for 3 days prior to putting on any flea meds. So I have tried that, we will see what happens.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53231
[/QUOTE]

I was doing that because i have always heard you have to wait 3 days but in the 3 days between the bath and putting on the frontline he got full of fleas so i just starting putting it right on, sometimes when i am putting it on him it isnt right after a bath though

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521+Apr 16 2005, 09:21 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Puddles Mom
@Apr 16 2005, 09:11 AM

I talked to the vet about the flea problem and she said it would be a battle with all the hair and the area I live in. She asked me step by step of how I put the meds on.  I always give Puddles a bath, blow dry him, comb down and then was putting the Advantage on. She thought that was my problem, there wre not enough oil on the skin for it to work. That he should not be bathe for 3 days prior to putting on any flea meds. So I have tried that, we will see what happens.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53231

I was doing that because i have always heard you have to wait 3 days but in the 3 days between the bath and putting on the frontline he got full of fleas so i just starting putting it right on, sometimes when i am putting it on him it isnt right after a bath though
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53234
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is the problem we were having with waiting too...my grandmother told me that HER vet said it was possible for fleas to build up immunity
to products...and that is why it sometimes works to switch brands.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I have definately heard of cases where Frontline doesn't get the fleas. Try the Advantage. I would also have the house treated. If the house and/or yard in infested, no medication is going to be able to keep him free of fleas. You may have to have a portion of the yard treated. We have to have ours treated for ticks every year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 16 2005, 02:42 PM
I have definately heard of cases where Frontline doesn't get the fleas. Try the Advantage. I would also have the house treated. If the house and/or yard in infested, no medication is going to be able to keep him free of fleas. You may have to have a portion of the yard treated. We have to have ours treated for ticks every year.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53298
[/QUOTE]

I've always had success with Advantage. When I first used it, I still saw fleas for 3 days on both my dogs. I called the Advantage people and was told that you "may" see fleas for up to a week but the Advantage prevents them from laying eggs and further infesting your pup. Sure enough it stopped and I've been faithful to Advantage ever since.

My vet told me that it is useless to use a flea shampoo and a topical flea product as it is simply overkill and the topical product will reduce the effectiveness of any shampoos.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i use advantix and its supposed to kill fleas immediately. and revolution is supposed to be great---but ellie got a reaction from it and lost hair.

good luck!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i honestly think that a flea med is the best thing possible. and some people are freaks about flea meds (like caseys parents)...but we're getting into summer...and fleas and ticks are going to be bad this season because of all the rains.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I had the opposite problem. With Advantage, I see fleas again in a week. I'm sure it's because I bathe Lady weekly and it's not waterproof. I have much better luck with Frontline here in the flea infested Southeast!

You've probably got fleas breeding in your carpet. You can either get your home professionally exterminated or try a carpet powder. I read that Adams carpet powder (not the spray) is the best, with Zodiac second. You sprinkle it on, then work it in with a broom. I tried it for a stubborn flea problem a few years back (I think they had come in from the porch) when just Frontline wasn't enough and it worked great!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am goibng to start looking more into getting part of the yard sprayed becuase my new theory is that every yard around me gets sprayed so every flea in teh neighborhood is coming into my yard lol.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted to let yall know i used advantage on Sunny on Friday and so far we are 100% flea free, even if it has only been a few days thats an improvment for us lol

·
Registered
894 Posts
My kitty, Houston (as in "Houston, we have a problem" cause she's nuts), was allergic to flea medication of ANY kind. Our Vet at that time was a Holistic Vet and told us to sprinkle a teaspoon of Brewers Yeast into her food every week. It worked, she never had a flea again.....I don't know why it worked, it just did. Ask your Vet if they have ever heard of this before. As I said, ours was Holisitic and really tried to avoid any chemicals if at all possible....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Apr 25 2005, 02:09 PM
My kitty, Houston (as in "Houston, we have a problem" cause she's nuts), was allergic to flea medication of ANY kind.  Our Vet at that time was a Holistic Vet and told us to sprinkle a teaspoon of Brewers Yeast into her food every week.  It worked, she never had a flea again.....I don't know why it worked, it just did.  Ask your Vet if they have ever heard of this before.  As I said, ours was Holisitic and really tried to avoid any chemicals if at all possible....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56336
[/QUOTE]

Alright I will ask about that, one day I came home and my mom had fed Sunny like 3 cloves of garlic becuase she heard it got rid of fleas lol he smelled so awful. Brewers Yeast would be a lot better, not garlic smell.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I use Frontline Plus & Sentinel (about 2 weeks apart for the dosage during the month).

If I may offer a suggestion (I recently learned this myself), Frontline uses the natural oil in our babie's skin to carry throughout the body. So when you said that you dried your baby off and put on the Frontline, that may be a reason the Frontline isn't as effective as it could be. Flea shampoos are so drying, you know, so perhaps you can wait a couple of days, or even up to 1 week before putting Frontline on...

The reason I use Frontline and Sentinel is that Advantix has a higher rate of adverse reactions are lead to death. (I also learned this from Spoiled Maltese Forum, love u guys!) There is a chart in the forum somewhere that shows the cases... Advantix is really up there. I was only on Sentinel but then it does not prevent adult fleas that just want to "chill-out" and eat my Paris :new_Eyecrazy: and not to mention useless against Ticks... that's why I chose Frontline Plus.

Overall, it's very affective for me. He's sleeping next to my leg right now (I'm sitting on the sofa...thank goodness no fleas that are jumping off and getting on me...
Love my little boy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts