Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Codi got neutered about 2 weeks ago. Ever since then, his potty-training has gone down the tubes. He is pooping all over the place, especially at night. My desk is right next to the bed, and twice this week I have woken up to poops all over the desk... including my keyboad. I have tossed out 3 keyboards this week because he keeps pooping on them. Plus, they are extremely runny. I think it might have to do because I switched to a different canned food, which I am going to switch back to the original one tonight since we were problem free then.

But What to do about having to re-train? He knows where to go to the bathroom, and will go outside... he's just being frustrating!! UGH!! My mom doesn't want me to leave him alone cuz he keeps leaving her messes that she has to clean up!

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks for all the help, and just listening!

PS -- had a great interview this morning, (after cleaning up 3 HUGE separate messes and taking everything off the bed) with a company that I would really LOVE to work for. So please, wish me luck and hope that I get it. I'll hear on Tuesday!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Anytime you switch food you need to do so gradually. His little tummy is probable upset due to the food change. If the stool is really soft and loose you can try putting him on a boiled rice and hamburger/chicken diet for a day or so. That will give his tummy a rest and help firm everything back up. If after being on the rice & meat diet it is still loose I would take him to the vet to make sure nothing is wrong. Oh, and when you start switching him back over to his food do so gradually over a few days. If the stool start getting runny again back off the new food for a day and then try again.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
EEEEK!!!!!!!!! Are you using a crate?? Sounds like you need to! Why are you feeding canned food? Switching food is hard aon their system. If he is old enough to be neutered he's old enough to be on dry kibble with very little wet. Really can't explain the poooping on the keyboard except ot say don't give him the opportunity. Why is he allowed on the key board? It's really easy to let these guys wrap us around their curly little tails but maybe it's time for some tough love

Good luck with the job.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Good luck with the job interview!

With the food, you should mix half of his old stuff with the new stuff, so that his body adjusts.

As for the keyboard, either spray that doggy "Off" stuff and/or:
http://www.rcubed.com/KeyboardCover.htm

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Codi is feeling much better today. I think part of the reason is that its just been too hot around here lately. It's been between 80 - 90 degrees this week. Got to love our sunny SoCal weather. LOL. It's funny, people move to Los Angeles because of our great weather, and then complain when we have that great weather all year long! They complain about it not getting cold enough around the holidays!! It's rather funny when you think about it.

But back to topic, Codi is doing much better. I think it was a combination of everything... neutering (he's been going to the bathroom wherever since that, but we're working on retraining), changing foods too quickly (we use the canned food to entice to eat the kibble, because it is very rare he'll eat the kibble dry. usually i'll mix with chicken, rice and baby food, but i've been busy so he's been having canned food) and he found a greenie and ate that up, plus the heat... so just everything probably upset him. But like I said, he's doing much better, which makes me very happy!

Thanks for the help and suggestions!!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I would guess it could be the canned food? The vet recommended that since I was so worried about putting Rex's heart worm pill in a tiny piece of cheese, to make a meatball with canned food. I got the same brand and flavor as his dry food, but it did something awful to his stomach and he only had a few spoonfuls. Never again! I dont think Rex can handle canned food, maybe Codi can't either...just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts