Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a almost 5 month old female Maltese pup (DOB 02/24/22). My puppy apparently has a VERY sensitive tummy (maybe all pups are like this, first time pawrent) and I was hoping for some advice because I feel like I've been having GI issues for a month now.

Recent episode (this week): she went to a puppy play group, where the session involved nose work and lots of different treats (some treats had fish, i was told that pups may have difficulty digesting fish at a young age). I will never allow this again... b/c few hours later, she pooped loose stool with lots of mucus. It's been about 5 days since, and her poop is still loose. But it's weird. She would sometimes poop somewhat firm poop... then shortly afterwards dump out loose stool (which requires me to clean her bum b/c it smears on her fur). I've been feeding her bland chicken, rice and little pumpkin (with some added water b/c it's summer and I don't feel like she drinks enough) for about 3 days and then switched over to her normal food just yesterday (JustFoodForDogs Chicken and Rice).

This morning she threw up with yellow liquid and little bits of her food from last nights dinner. Then she pooped her usual, somewhat firm poop, then shortly afterwards dumping loose stool in larger amounts. Had to wash her bum again. Other than these issues, I feel like she is fine. Is she having problems with her fresh food? (She was fine for the first two weeks of it).

Few weeks ago, in the morning she threw up her prior nights dinner in yellow liquid. She was also pretty restless at night too and shortly after taking her out of her crate, she threw up like more than half her dinner, undigested, that's been in her tummy for like almost 12 hours? (6pm - 5am) Other than vomitting... she seemed normal. But I put her on bland diet for few days and then switched back and seemed normal. I feel like this was just a one off thing, I have no idea what could've caused this one. Maybe the heat? Stress from new environment I created few days prior? (I've been having potty problems so I created a play pen that she doesn't like)

It all started with her not wanting to eat anything, diarrhea, and vomiting yellow liquid in the afternoon, which was... almost a month ago now. I took her to vet next day, to get her blood test, poop test, and urinalysis which all came back normal and she didn't diarrhea or vomit after that one time. I don't think she ate anything abnormal, I live in a tiny apartment. I figured that maybe it started after her eating a tiny piece of treat that had clam in it from her puppy training class (but I'm not confident about this verdict b/c her symptoms didn't start until 24 hours later and she barely ate some).

So now here I am, with her poop just being normal... only a handful of days and vomiting (just 3 in one month, as I described). And I think I need to just restart her diet... like an elimination diet, but I don't know how to begin or if that is suggested. I'm going to vet today for her rabies shot (last shot) and I will ask her questions, but I don't feel like they can help much with diet.

I'm pretty positive that she has some sort of food allergy or intolerance because she also bites/licks her legs and paws. But I don't know how to go about ruling things out. I have a suspicion that she can't do fish. But her fresh food has some fish oil... and she was okay with her fresh food for the first 2 weeks before this whole thing started. Are there tests that can rule out fish intolerance?

Minus the first episode, the rest of the episodes I feel like the following could've contributed to the problems:
  • the heat, it's 80+ degrees in my apartment, I just ordered an AC that's coming Monday to solve this issue.
  • she's teething? she's been losing her teeth the last two weeks, saw tiny bit of blood on her chew toy just the other day.
  • easily stressed? I can't go to the bathroom without her whining, she is blocked off from following me b/c of her play pen. I've also been rearranging things around her play pen so maybe she perceives this as a stressor.

I'm so... frustrated. And lost... how do I get her back to normal? Or is this normal puppy journey?

First time seeing her have loose stool for this long (5 days). But the amount of random treat she ate that day was quite larger than normal, so maybe it's taking time?

Not sure how to go forward... I was going to do this: keep her on fresh diet, and replace all her treats with boiled chicken. If her symptoms don't approve for a week, I think her food needs to get changed. I'm not sure if it's chicken intolerance because her first treat for the first few weeks with me was boiled chicken and she was ok with it.

Any advice or similar stories would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: her vaccination timeline with her episodes
Another Edit: One thing I forgot to mention is that she doesn't seem to digest her food as well as she did before all this happened... i see more bits of her food in her poop (a lot more with loose stools).

·
Registered
345 Posts
Gosh doesn’t sound good. This warrants another vet visit to get Pepcid ac to give before she eats and a diarrhea pill to calm the stool. Careful the pup doesn’t get dehydrated from so much diarrhea. Maybe you can call the vet to give you this medication. I am not familiar with just for food dog food. I don’t give my dog fish either. Maybe some other SM family can help out with that. What ever your feeding obviously is not agreeing that’s why the stool is like that. Most likely the bile you see if from empty tummy. I feed my other dog Molly Royal Canin canned food and Royal Canin dry food. There is also food called honest kitchen that might help with the oatmeal in it. It’s kibble food and you can put plain cooked chicken mixed in it. I hope Maddy replied to this she feeds her pups that and does super well! So sorry your going through this and she is not feeling well.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,136 Posts
A couple of infos and ?s:
1.yellow vomit means bile---make sure she has something small before going to sleep. At the moment you could just give her a ritz type cracker.
2. mucus stool usually means colitis caused by many things including stress but my 2 get it from eating squirrel poop or rabbit poop---vet would need to prescribe meds if pup has colitis
3. has she been tested for parvo & parasites?
4. did she have a puppy shot sometime near the time this started?
5. is she on a probiotic?
6. there is a dog product which I sometimes have used called Glandex (used to help w/anal gland issues) which helps regulate the stool
7. i think pepcide AC is just from drug store
8. i use infant "gas x drops" bought at wallmart & that helps w/gut irritation
9. be careful adding anything to a diet if pup has loose stools & vomiting

I would start by starving her for 24 hours but make sure she is drinking lots during this time even if you have to carefully syringe water every hour or so--then I would transition her to white rice but only a teaspoon at first several times a day for about 24 hours (can give white cracker like ritz) & then add in a small amount of protein like soft cooked oatmeal or boiled chicken (again start very SMALL)---keep her on this for a few days & see how it goes. You can also use prepared baby food but just do one kind at a time for a few days---do not overload the system. Write down exactly what she gets & how much---remember a tsp. IS enough---she will not starve.

Reactions: mimoom

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,150 Posts
When my daughter got a new puppy a year ago, she had a lot of gastro problems at first and the vet put her on Royal Canin gastrointestinal food and a probiotic and this cleared her up. Vet said some puppies need the extra probiotic for a short period of time but I can't remember the reason why. Maybe you could ask your vet about this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1.yellow vomit means bile---make sure she has something small before going to sleep. At the moment you could just give her a ritz type cracker.
2. mucus stool usually means colitis caused by many things including stress but my 2 get it from eating squirrel poop or rabbit poop---vet would need to prescribe meds if pup has colitis
6. there is a dog product which I sometimes have used called Glandex (used to help w/anal gland issues) which helps regulate the stool
7. i think pepcide AC is just from drug store
8. i use infant "gas x drops" bought at wallmart & that helps w/gut irritation
9. be careful adding anything to a diet if pup has loose stools & vomiting
Yes, about a month ago with her first diarrhea and vomit (both one time) episode which she recovered the next day

No, she isn't on anything extra other than her food and treats (which i'm trading them for boiled chicken starting today).
She gets tiny bits of peanut butter (which wasn't a problem before).

I looked through my records here is the timeline:

First episode:
06/07/22 - Da2PP + L4 combo with Bordetella (i know... my breeder got upset that my vet overloaded my small pup and i felt bad b/c i didn't pay more attention)
06/19/22 - didn't want to eat, diarrhea, and then vomited yellow bile (probably from not eating). prior day she had puppy class and ate a small piece of new treat that had clam in it
Recovery: She was actually fine the next day, her poop was just a little mushy but wasn't like diarrhea, and was on bland diet for 5 days after, and she normalized.

Second episode
07/07/22 - Da2PP + L4 combo (last set)
07/12/22 - This just involved her vomiting her undigested dinner. This was probably a one off and I'm theorizing it's from stress (I had changed our layout and created her a play pen to help with potty training and she doesn't like it)
Recovery: She was fine after her vomiting, put her on a bland diet for two days, ate, pooped and played just fine.

Third episode:
07/17/22 - She attended a puppy play group and had tons of random new treats and few hours later loose stool with mucus. Haven't seen much mucus afterwards, but still loose.
Recovery: still trying to recover since.

In between these episode's her poop was okay for the most part, some off days (wouldn't consider it diarrhea), but now that I think about it, it isn't as excellent like it was before she began her vaccinations with her new vet (she had 2 DA2PP prior... according to my breeder my vet gave her 3rd set way too early). I'm just realizing that I'm expecting her poop to be pre-vaccinated days (with the new vet). Ugh... now i'm upset that her vaccinations might be to blame and were too aggressive and too much. Also I think I need to change her food...

Confusing part is... she seems normal despite all this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, about a month ago with her first diarrhea and vomit (both one time) episode which she recovered the next day

No, she isn't on anything extra other than her food and treats (which i'm trading them for boiled chicken starting today).
She gets tiny bits of peanut butter (which wasn't a problem before).

I looked through my records here is the timeline:

First episode:
06/07/22 - Da2PP + L4 combo with Bordetella (i know... my breeder got upset that my vet overloaded my small pup and i felt bad b/c i didn't pay more attention)
06/19/22 - didn't want to eat, diarrhea, and then vomited yellow bile (probably from not eating). prior day she had puppy class and ate a small piece of new treat that had clam in it
Recovery: She was actually fine the next day, her poop was just a little mushy but wasn't like diarrhea, and was on bland diet for 5 days after, and she normalized.

Second episode
07/07/22 - Da2PP + L4 combo (last set)
07/12/22 - This just involved her vomiting her undigested dinner. This was probably a one off and I'm theorizing it's from stress (I had changed our layout and created her a play pen to help with potty training and she doesn't like it)
Recovery: She was fine after her vomiting, put her on a bland diet for two days, ate, pooped and played just fine.

Third episode:
07/17/22 - She attended a puppy play group and had tons of random new treats and few hours later loose stool with mucus. Haven't seen much mucus afterwards, but still loose.
Recovery: still trying to recover since.

In between these episode's her poop was okay for the most part, some off days (wouldn't consider it diarrhea), but now that I think about it, it isn't as excellent like it was before she began her vaccinations with her new vet (she had 2 DA2PP prior... according to my breeder my vet gave her 3rd set way too early). I'm just realizing that I'm expecting her poop to be pre-vaccinated days (with the new vet). Ugh... now i'm upset that her vaccinations might be to blame and were too aggressive and too much. Also I think I need to change her food...

Confusing part is... she seems normal despite all this.
I know its difficult and frustrating. Been there and done that, lol! Peyton my 13 year old princess has been on Hills Prescription diet I/D hard food plus their treat and cooked chicken breast, since she was about 2 and a half. We follow a hard core no additions to the diet even though she begs for everything. Brianna my 1 year old will probably be going on that food as well. She has soft stools that smell HORRIBLE. She is currently on Royal Canin.

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
6,027 Posts
Five months is really young for a dog to have a food allergy.
The first thing I would want on her is a Giardia test. You need to do several stool samples in a week, because they dont always show up in every stool sample. Fresh stools, first thing in the morning is best.
I would also ask for the Giardia/Elisa test as well. This will show whether there are cyst waiting to hatch, whether its a month from now or 6 months from now, otherwise you will never know if shes parasite free, if ishe even has it. Giardia is extremely common in young pups and often goes missed, while in the meantime the dog is being treated for food sensitivity, or some other GI issue, when it is infact Giardia.
If you google Dr. Becker and Giardia, she explains all this very thoroughly.
The only other thing that comes to mind is the treats you are feeding maybe too rich for her, and you mentioned shes teething, which can cause nausea. Im not sure it would cause the diarrhea though.
i definitely wouldnt be switching her food around. Going forward, i would find a good quality food and stick to that. I would rotate the protein every 3-4 months, so that she doesn’t develop an allergy or sensitivity to any one protein. Ive always used Honest Kitchen or Sojos, which my girls do very well on. I do over boiled carrots, peas, green beans for a treat and try to stay away from all others because my girls cant tolerate them. i overboil because it’s easier for them to digest vs. raw carrots etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,396 Posts
One of my dogs has a severe chicken sensitivity (not a true allergy) and anything with chicken triggers exactly what you describe.

Sandi is right - the yellow is bile and the mucus is colitis. But many things can trigger colitis, including stress, food imbalance, parasites, and inflammatory bowel disease which is sadly a very common auto-immune disorder in dogs.

Vaccinations (too many at the same time and given too frequently) have been linked to a variety of issues including GI upsets and auto-immune disorders (like IBD) which can manifest with GI symptoms. My holistic vet believes that my girl's issues were caused by too many vaccines because of her vaccination history - she was a stray so the shelter and the first vet before me just pumped her full not knowing if she'd been immunized before. From here on, do NOT allow your vet to vaccinate for anything except rabies without a titer first - it's more expensive short run but trust me, it will save you ER visits over time. And unless you have a lifestyle where you dog routinely comes across urine and feces from wildlife (think walking in the woods) do NOT allow any more L4 vaccines. Reactions including GI upset are common with L4 in toy breed dogs. Additionally, there are something like 20+ strains of Lepto and the L4 only protects against (you got it) 4. It's one of the least effective vaccines out there but the vets push it.

Re food - probiotics is a must. My holistic vet recommends one by Animal Essentials and my sensitive tummy girl gets it twice a day. Second, if your baby is currently having a flare up, you want to let the gut rest with a diet of something bland. My vet recommends turkey and pasta over chicken and rice. Oatmeal or rice can actually be irritating depending on what the issue is, so some roasted or boiled turkey breast along with cooked plain pasta helps calm things down. Make sure you are using only turkey breast and that it is unseasoned - directly from the butcher is best.

Once things have calmed down, you may want to consider going with a limited ingredient food with a protein your baby has never experienced before. My girl does very well on turkey. One other thing to keep in mind is the percentage on a DRY MATTER BASIS of protein and fat in whatever food you are giving. The Just Food for Dogs calculates out to a little over 28% protein and 10% fat and that is usually good for a dog with GI issues, but be careful of foods that are higher in protein and fat. You might want to try turkey, fish, rabbit, bison, or some other protein she's never had before.

Adding pumpkin to the diet (organic canned pumpkin, NOT pie filling) can help regulate the GI system as well. One product my vet recommends that really knocks down a bout of colitis is called Colon Rescue (Phytomucil) from Animal Essentials. It's an all natural supplement that can regulate both diarrhea and constipation and works within a day. It's much safer than OTC meds or even prescriptions from the vet.

Finally, after you've gotten results of all blood work and test for parasites, I recommend consulting a holistic veterinarian who is educated in holistic, homeopathic, and TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicines). They can recommend supplements and feeding practices that can keep your pet healthy. My girl came to me in March 2009 with severe colitis. We battled it with my "traditional" vet for a couple of years, but after consulting with a holistic vet, we put her on a routine of supplements and appropriate feeding practices and, as long as we stick to it, she is symptom free. She's almost 15 now so this can be resolved with long-term solutions; it just takes patience.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you so much everyone, I've gotten some really great advice. Especially about giardia this is interesting and could be a possibility. And the diet of something other than chicken and rice. I was really wanting to try something different but didn't know how to start so this was really helpful, just now the only problem is acquiring turkey (off season). I found this ground turkey breast, but has rosemary extract but it looks like that is okay for dogs.

Does anyone know a good probiotic for puppy stage? I checked out Animal Essentials, but it is labeled for adult stage unfortunately. I am definitely going to get the Colon Rescue by Animal Essentials since it includes puppy stage. I was looking at zesty paws pumpkin flavored probiotics (all stages).

The titer suggestion is interesting, I never heard of this and will definitely do this and take out L4 (I regret so much that I didn't pay attention to vaccinations more...)

I am feeling very optimistic and excited now that I have some alternate solutions to try! Thanks again everyone!

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention is that she doesn't seem to digest her food as well as she did before all this happened... i see more bits of her food in her poop (a lot more with loose stools), so i'm really hoping the probiotics will help her out

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
I definitely agree with getting a stool sample and having it tested for giardia.

And I agree with avoiding the random mix of treats, maybe even stop the play group for a while because she might have picked up something there. My little glutton dogs are perfectly happy with extra pieces of good quality or prescription kibble as treats. One of my dogs (13 pounds) is on a prescription food for allergies, it is Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein, Small Breed kibble -- it comes in relatively small, thin kibbles that I can even break in half, but for meals I soak it in water until it is soft. The other dogs like it as a treat. I think it may come in a canned formula, but I'll have to check.

The theory of hydrolyzed protein foods is that the protein is broken down into such small chemical components that there is nothing that the dog's system will recognize as an allergen.

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
6,027 Posts
Thank you so much everyone, I've gotten some really great advice. Especially about giardia this is interesting and could be a possibility. And the diet of something other than chicken and rice. I was really wanting to try something different but didn't know how to start so this was really helpful, just now the only problem is acquiring turkey (off season). I found this ground turkey breast, but has rosemary extract but it looks like that is okay for dogs.

Does anyone know a good probiotic for puppy stage? I checked out Animal Essentials, but it is labeled for adult stage unfortunately. I am definitely going to get the Colon Rescue by Animal Essentials since it includes puppy stage. I was looking at zesty paws pumpkin flavored probiotics (all stages).

The titer suggestion is interesting, I never heard of this and will definitely do this and take out L4 (I regret so much that I didn't pay attention to vaccinations more...)

I am feeling very optimistic and excited now that I have some alternate solutions to try! Thanks again everyone!

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention is that she doesn't seem to digest her food as well as she did before all this happened... i see more bits of her food in her poop (a lot more with loose stools), so i'm really hoping the probiotics will help her out
My girls Internal Medicine Doctor put my girls on Proviable-DC. It doesn’t have chicken flavoring etc. Though, that being said, ill reiterate what I said earlier and that shes really young to have a food allergy. If she comes back negative for Giardia/Elisa test, i would stay away from any treats and focus on a food she can tolerate and is not sensitive too. Sensitive is a food or treat that doesn’t agree with her. A food allergy is a immune response to a certain protein, which is why I said to rotate every 3 or 4 months, so she doesn’t develop one. Every dog is different, so what works for my girls, might not work for you. Its all trial and error.
One other thing, if the vet put her on an antibiotic, sometimes they prescribe flagly (metronidazole) for the diarrhea, be sure to give the probiotic at least 2 hours after the antibiotic. This will give sufficient time for the antibiotic to work while not killing off the beneficial bacteria. You dont need a prescription for Proviable anymore. I get mine on Chewys.
Font Material property Publication Poster Wood

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a almost 5 month old female Maltese pup (DOB 02/24/22). My puppy apparently has a VERY sensitive tummy (maybe all pups are like this, first time pawrent) and I was hoping for some advice because I feel like I've been having GI issues for a month now.

Recent episode (this week): she went to a puppy play group, where the session involved nose work and lots of different treats (some treats had fish, i was told that pups may have difficulty digesting fish at a young age). I will never allow this again... b/c few hours later, she pooped loose stool with lots of mucus. It's been about 5 days since, and her poop is still loose. But it's weird. She would sometimes poop somewhat firm poop... then shortly afterwards dump out loose stool (which requires me to clean her bum b/c it smears on her fur). I've been feeding her bland chicken, rice and little pumpkin (with some added water b/c it's summer and I don't feel like she drinks enough) for about 3 days and then switched over to her normal food just yesterday (JustFoodForDogs Chicken and Rice).

This morning she threw up with yellow liquid and little bits of her food from last nights dinner. Then she pooped her usual, somewhat firm poop, then shortly afterwards dumping loose stool in larger amounts. Had to wash her bum again. Other than these issues, I feel like she is fine. Is she having problems with her fresh food? (She was fine for the first two weeks of it).

Few weeks ago, in the morning she threw up her prior nights dinner in yellow liquid. She was also pretty restless at night too and shortly after taking her out of her crate, she threw up like more than half her dinner, undigested, that's been in her tummy for like almost 12 hours? (6pm - 5am) Other than vomitting... she seemed normal. But I put her on bland diet for few days and then switched back and seemed normal. I feel like this was just a one off thing, I have no idea what could've caused this one. Maybe the heat? Stress from new environment I created few days prior? (I've been having potty problems so I created a play pen that she doesn't like)

It all started with her not wanting to eat anything, diarrhea, and vomiting yellow liquid in the afternoon, which was... almost a month ago now. I took her to vet next day, to get her blood test, poop test, and urinalysis which all came back normal and she didn't diarrhea or vomit after that one time. I don't think she ate anything abnormal, I live in a tiny apartment. I figured that maybe it started after her eating a tiny piece of treat that had clam in it from her puppy training class (but I'm not confident about this verdict b/c her symptoms didn't start until 24 hours later and she barely ate some).

So now here I am, with her poop just being normal... only a handful of days and vomiting (just 3 in one month, as I described). And I think I need to just restart her diet... like an elimination diet, but I don't know how to begin or if that is suggested. I'm going to vet today for her rabies shot (last shot) and I will ask her questions, but I don't feel like they can help much with diet.

I'm pretty positive that she has some sort of food allergy or intolerance because she also bites/licks her legs and paws. But I don't know how to go about ruling things out. I have a suspicion that she can't do fish. But her fresh food has some fish oil... and she was okay with her fresh food for the first 2 weeks before this whole thing started. Are there tests that can rule out fish intolerance?

Minus the first episode, the rest of the episodes I feel like the following could've contributed to the problems:
  • the heat, it's 80+ degrees in my apartment, I just ordered an AC that's coming Monday to solve this issue.
  • she's teething? she's been losing her teeth the last two weeks, saw tiny bit of blood on her chew toy just the other day.
  • easily stressed? I can't go to the bathroom without her whining, she is blocked off from following me b/c of her play pen. I've also been rearranging things around her play pen so maybe she perceives this as a stressor.

I'm so... frustrated. And lost... how do I get her back to normal? Or is this normal puppy journey?

First time seeing her have loose stool for this long (5 days). But the amount of random treat she ate that day was quite larger than normal, so maybe it's taking time?

Not sure how to go forward... I was going to do this: keep her on fresh diet, and replace all her treats with boiled chicken. If her symptoms don't approve for a week, I think her food needs to get changed. I'm not sure if it's chicken intolerance because her first treat for the first few weeks with me was boiled chicken and she was ok with it.

Another Edit: One thing I forgot to mention is that she doesn't seem to digest her food as well as she did before all this happened... i see more bits of her food in her poop (a lot more with loose stools).
It's so awful trying to figure out what causes distress in our babies!! In your case, I would be greatly concerned about pancreatitis. My baby got an attack of it from ingesting ham at an Easter dinner that was snuck to him and the result was an emergency trip to the vet. They told me my baby was near death and he had to stay overnight on IV fluids and meds. That was 5 years ago and he has had to be on a special low-fat diet ever since. Pancreatitis is a very serious condition and yellow fluid vomit and diarrhea are common signs of it. Please see your vet!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Have you discussed it might be a liver shunt with your vet? That’s what mine has. They can’t digest protein or regular foods.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts