Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of your dogs had a personality change when you cut their coat -- the full coat or just even a semi-full coat? I wondered if the dogs feel different and act weird when they get trimmed real short. Tessa has a nice fluffy coat, not down to the ground... and I want to grow it a little bit longer.... and the thought just came to mind that if I then changed it back, maybe she would feel funny... like when we get a short haircut and aren't sure it's what we really like.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I think Fannymay said that everytime she gives her baby a trim, she gets all embarrassed and hides. LOL I always find it funny that they would feel uncomfortable if you cut their hair.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Jan 11 2005, 06:45 PM
I think, and this is only my opinion, but they are scared.  Have you ever had really long hair and got it cut?  It feels like a weight has been lifted, not to mention you head feels weird.  So I am thinking that is what happens to the dogs and it confuses them and/or scares them.  One minute you feel "normal" and the next you feel cold and naked.  I wonder if they think they are hurt and try to hide (which we are thinking is embarrassment) because it is an animals nature to hide when hurt--right?

Just some food for thought.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29130
[/QUOTE]

That makes perfect sense to me!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by Madeline@Jan 11 2005, 06:19 PM
Have any of your dogs had a personality change when you cut their coat -- the full coat or just even a semi-full coat?  I wondered if the dogs feel different and act weird when they get trimmed real short.  Tessa has a nice fluffy coat, not down to the ground... and I want to grow it a little bit longer.... and the thought just came to mind that if I then changed it back, maybe she would feel funny... like when we get a short haircut and aren't sure it's what we really like.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29124
[/QUOTE]

Yes my maxi has gotten a few bad groomings unfortunately and he acts very sad when they have scr*wed up . Now that his hair is growing back and he looks adorable (regardless) he is back to normal but the first few days after this last horrid cut he was acting strange and i made sure i told him every day how adorable and handsome he is

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jan 11 2005, 06:55 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Jan 11 2005, 06:45 PM
I think, and this is only my opinion, but they are scared.  Have you ever had really long hair and got it cut?  It feels like a weight has been lifted, not to mention you head feels weird.  So I am thinking that is what happens to the dogs and it confuses them and/or scares them.  One minute you feel "normal" and the next you feel cold and naked.  I wonder if they think they are hurt and try to hide (which we are thinking is embarrassment) because it is an animals nature to hide when hurt--right?

Just some food for thought.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29130
That makes perfect sense to me!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29132
[/B][/QUOTE]

Makes sense to me too -- thanks.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yeah Fantasia acts funny when she gets a hair cut too short, but she gets over it a few hours later. She gets excited when my husband comes home from work and she forgets all about the haircut, unless my husband points and laughs at her lol. Then she goes back acting strange again for a little while. Then he snuggles her and she's fine again.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i think the girls LOVED it when i shaved them. they started running around and trying to bite eachother's hair. and since they didnt have anything to grab---they were soo happy and it was more of a challenge. LOL.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Mikey has been cut down once in his entire life and he had no reaction LOL That's my nice solid temperament boy!

Jonathan bounces all over after his haircut. He loves to be done with it and likes his short hair.

I think a lot of their reaction is also our reaction.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I remember we would get the pekenese i had when i was little a lion cut it was the funniest thing ever
he seemed kinda embaressed but it might have been becuase everyone at the vets (where we got him groomed) was laughing i mean it was cute but so funny he really looked like a little lion

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
When I cut down Cookie and Waffle, they acted like little puppies again! They were running around and rolling around. They seemed really happy about it!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
well... haha.. this makes me remember Kodie's first hair cut! He had longer hair and went to the groomer for the first time... they had to buzz him because of all the matts. He barely had any hair... so when i took him home, he would just stand there and shake! I put clothes on him and everything... but nothing worked. He wouldnt run around or anything for the first 2 days. I think he was tramatized!! I have never buzzed him again.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My Will & Grace love their puppy cuts. They don't love being cut...., but after they run and roll around and seem even more playful. Little Brie hasn't had a cut yet, just her foot pads and nails. She is getting a little long, but I don't want her to freeze so I think I'll wait a couple more months.
I do have to stay on top of her brushing though, she seems to mat so easily.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Puddles hair was about down to the floor. I know he hated the wait time while we were brushing him.

Once it was time for the winter sweaters, I noticed several mats that were impossible to brush. Every day he would have more and more.

So we went for the hair cut. My groomer said when I picked him up, she could see this disapointment on my face. He didn't even look like my baby! I was so upset at what I had done, but Puddles was jumping around like he was free.
Well, he was free from all the brushing. I'm not sure we will ever let the hair grow back as long as before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts