Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Lucas C. (one of the guys here at VS)

It was after my sophomore year of college that I adopted my first dog. It sort of happened by accident. I went to visit a local shelter – basically to do some window shopping – and walked out with a five-year-old shepherd/beagle/unknown and little idea what I was getting myself into.

Like many college students, I lived in an apartment of dubious quality in a questionable neighborhood and survived off the kindness of my parents, student loans, and a job waiting tables. Not exactly swimming in disposable income and now the caretaker of a demanding pooch that I named Shifty, I rushed off to the nearest pet store to fetch the necessary supplies – food, bed, leash, collar, and dishes.

Seeing as meeting monthly rent payments was a challenge in those days, Shifty had to settle for less than the best dog accessories. In fact, she so frowned upon the bed I chose that she decided to bunk with me. The rest she lived with, including the cheapest plastic dog bowls you’ve ever seen. To be fair, I often ate cereal out of old margarine containers and drank my juice from reclaimed laundry detergent cups, so this was not a home of discerning tastes.

Shifty was with me for nine years and even though I eventually graduated college, found a proper job, got married and bought my own place, I’m not sure I ever bought her that fine set of dishes she deserved.

A year or so later I adopted another dog, this one a Greyhound named Alice, and things were a little different. Alice is afforded the softest beds, fancy collars, and even received a raised set of dog bowls so she wouldn’t have to bend over to eat. Alice proudly ate from these bowls for more than five years, but the wooden stand had seen far better days. It had food/water/drool stains that wouldn’t come off with a chisel! My wife didn’t like the way it looked, I didn’t like the way it smelled, and I suspect even Alice was a little embarrassed by it when other dogs came over to visit. This is where Pet Rageous Designs came to the rescue.

I received a bundle of goodies from Pet Rageous, including a beautiful raised Metal Feeder with sturdy and eye-catching stoneware bowls emblazoned with “Food” and “Water” lest I get confused. Alice now eats like dog royalty! Alice’s feeder is raised 10 inches and each bowl holds four cups, though Pet Rageous also makes a six-inch and a 14-inch feeder in the same design, depending on your needs.

Elsewhere in my Pet Rageous Designs collection is a 3 ½-inch raised Scroll Feeder, which is a little more ornate than the other design. This model houses two 1.5-cup stainless steel bowls. I had a chance to put this one to the test when I was looking after a smaller dog for a couple of days and received no complaints.

A third raised feeder was also included in my Pet Rageous collection. The Toftee’s Paws Pink Pet Feeder is intended for smaller dogs, as it sits just 2 ¼ inches off the ground. Two one-cup pink bowls are ordained with a paw print and sit in a more sleek and modern stand. You can find a host of other raised feeders and pet dining sets here.

In addition to the raised feeders, Pet Rageous sent along a collection of striking stoneware bowls. Three of the bowls come from the Talkin’ Time Stoneware collection and are inscribed with Pampered, Spoiled, and Diva. They come in an assortment of colors, including pink, purple, green, blue and orange and each has a two-cup capacity. Quite frankly, these bowls are nicer than anything I’ve got in my cupboards. I suggested to my wife that our one-year-old daughter could eat breakfast out of the Diva bowl, but my idea was quickly rebuffed. I stand by the proposal.

The two other stoneware bowls come from the Spoiled Furever line. These one-cup bowls are textured with vertical ribs and feature a crown-shaped metal badge etched with Spoiled. Available in Pink Pearl and Lilac Pearl, these bowls are rather feminine and quite fetching.

Fear not if none of these stoneware bowls fit your décor, as Pet Rageous has more than 30 other styles to choose from. It’s a vast collection and you’re sure to find the perfect bowl to suit your pet and match your style.

The final item in our Pet Rageous collection is a Five Piece Pet Travel Kit. Included in the kit is a Travel Bowl, Goodie Bag, Poop-rageous Poop Pouch with bags, and a Carrying Case. The entire set is made of durable nylon and features Velcro straps for easy carrying. My set is in royal blue, but green and red are also options.

This kit is perfect for traveling with your dog, but I’ve also found it quite useful when we go on long walks. Just bring a bottle of water along and you can fill up the bowl so your pooch can have a quick drink and cool off. Also, the Poop Pouch straps securely to the leash, so dog bags are always on hand. As an added bonus, the Goodie Bag makes you quite the popular figure with the neighborhood dogs.

If you think these or any other goodies from Pet Rageous Designs are right for your four-legged friend, you can find them at a variety of on-line retailers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Nice story about the adoption and I'm sure some great products but why is this post taking up nearly the entire first page of the opening page on SM?

·
Administrator
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Susan,

Thanks for your feedback and question. The homepage of SM has always been available for us to use as an avenue to pique the interest of users who land on that page. The story you read is an example of that but in the future, we can use it for posting winners of contests (like even a photo of the month or quarter contest).

As for why it's taking up so much room.. that's my fault. I included 4 pictures and unfortunately, the software on SM does not minimize attachments to thumbnail size. In the future, I'll make sure to post only 1 picture and that address the size issue.

·
Premium Member
10,199 Posts
I guess my question is ... who is paying for this huge ad?? Membership fees that VS collects from us? :w00t:

The story is nice. And, needless to say, we all spoil our pets here on SM. But, when it comes down to the bottom line ... dogs don't care if their bowls or beds are fancy. I bet Shifty just wanted to bunk in the same bed as his best friend.

One of Snowball's bowls is a *Prince* bowl ... but, it's the food that goes into the bowl that he loves. I'm the one who happens to LOVE the bowl.

Snowball has lots of beds. One upstairs. Another in the living room so that he can look out the front window. And, then the bed by our deck doors, so that he can relax and look outside. Right now though ... Snowball is snuggled up next to me on the love seat where he feels comfy and cosy. :wub:

But, you guys got me on the raised bowl holders. We need one ... just not sure what height is the best for Snowball.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
My question is: Is Lucas a paid vendor on SM? I guess I'm confused. We have members who pay to be vendors and sell their stuff on SM. And, I know that we also, regular members, will post links to things we think others are interested in that we have no monetary stake in.

BUT, this post comes off as a sales ad by Lucas and VS. I'd really like an explanation of what this is all about. Is it really just something Lucas thought we'd be interested in? If so, why the front page coverage? Is this website now a paid sponsor? If not, and I were a paid vendor I'd be more than a bit perturbed.

Thanks for listening.

Linda

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I always heard that raised feeders were actually bad for our Maltese...something to do with the angle they eat at or something like that, or something with difficulty digesting, or with their posture or something...wish I could remember. lol

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
I always heard that raised feeders were actually bad for our Maltese...something to do with the angle they eat at or something like that, or something with difficulty digesting, or with their posture or something...wish I could remember. lol
I agree. I remember reading that. Not good for our breed.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Nice pet story. Perhaps Lucas should have taken the time to research our paying vendors to see if any of them carried the product he was applauding. At least then one of our own would have had a shot at a sale. :huh: And this rated a sticky because...???

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Hi Susan,

Thanks for your feedback and question. The homepage of SM has always been available for us to use as an avenue to pique the interest of users who land on that page. The story you read is an example of that but in the future, we can use it for posting winners of contests (like even a photo of the month or quarter contest).

As for why it's taking up so much room.. that's my fault. I included 4 pictures and unfortunately, the software on SM does not minimize attachments to thumbnail size. In the future, I'll make sure to post only 1 picture and that address the size issue.
Hello Yung,

I don't know how the other members of SM feel about this but I find the "Home Page" advertisement for PetRageous Designs outrageous. After 6 days of the post and the not so flattering feedback it is still there. I beleive it should be removed from the front page, and placed where all non-Maltese antedotes are posted - in the Anything Goes forum minus all the huge product pics. Also, it just doesn't even come close to the importance of rating a sticky. This area would be a terriffic place to post information about the present Shelter Challenge Contest - a real way to help our beloved fluffs - and/or posting about Stacy's (bellarata) daughter's recent accomplishment of finishing her girl, and is headed to Westminister! Anything but cheeky, cheesy free advertisements for non-paying vendors! :ThankYou:

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Sorry, but I feel that since VS owns this site, they can do whatever they want to. Perhaps they have a "deal" with Petrageous for exposure on the site ... We should not demand that they conduct their business a certain way .. heck we all could never agree on what that might be, even if that were the case.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Sorry, but I feel that since VS owns this site, they can do whatever they want to. Perhaps they have a "deal" with Petrageous for exposure on the site ... We should not demand that they conduct their business a certain way .. heck we all could never agree on what that might be, even if that were the case.
Guess I'm mistaken then. I thought this forum was member driven with ownership as an overseer. Perhaps that was pre-VS. ;)

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Here's my feeling about this. As per Sher's thread I'm really not telling VS how to conduct their business...I'm saying how it made me feel as a member. I don't really think they were doing that advertiser any favors in my mind, again just as a member.
I was the first one to bring up the surprise of seeing a whole page coming up with what was basically a "personal story" of a person who works at VS and a love note about a vendor whom we had never seen before. I see that PetRageous is apparently one of the advertisers on our site, since I've now seen ads. I guess that must have been the deal struck with VS and PetRageous.
Call a spade a spade - rather than a hokey story leading us into what they are selling. It seemed totally ingenuous to me and felt like cheap, shameless self promotion. Another new advertiser Bloomingtails was handled very nicely with an introduction to the advertiser and what she is selling. No full front pages. I didn't take that as an affront at all. We often are the ones who sing the praises of our vendors or advertisers and our reviews often drive getting their products. We don't get full page spots on the site or stickies for that. I just don't think this was necessary. JMHO as a lifetime member.

·
Premium Member
10,199 Posts
I didn't read where anyone here was demanding how VS conducts their business. I know several of us asked a similar question that I think Yung could answer for us.

Personally, when I don't get answers to intelligent questions ... then my intuition tells me something might not be kosher. I think as paid members we have a right to ask legitimate questions. And, I respect those who do so. And, I've learned that legit businesses answer questions of their customers and members. That's the right thing to do.

Yes, we cannot demand how VS or anyone else does their business. But, I think we have a right to know if a business is there for our best interests ... and, not theirs alone. Again, that goes for any business.

From the day Snowball came here to his forever home, I have done business with one of the links provided in the PetRageous link. However, I am thinking about all the wonderful vendors here on SM, who have smaller businesses, and work so darn hard to please their customers. They are not big businesses who make a fortune. It's probably just the way I am looking at this ... but, I almost see it as a conflict of interest between SM paying member/vendors and the owners of the sight.

Just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone.

·
Administrator
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delayed response. I was home over the weekend and yesterday nursing a cold and I haven't had the energy to read through everything.

The article written by Lucas was to review a product by one of the sponsors for Petguide.com which is owned by VS. If you have concerns about this, please create a new thread and we can discuss about it there. Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts