Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG, I'm sitting her watching Skittle try to get her collar off. It's so darn funny. Today is the first day we are trying it. I'm only keeping it on her when we are home.

We are getting ready to leave for our first long car trip with her. It will be a 3-4 hour ride but we will stop 1/2 way to let her out to play, potty etc... Hopefully it goes better than her other two short ones. She has gotten sick both time. Once on the way home from the breeders and the other on the way to the vet.

I'm sure I'll have lots of funny stories for you when I get back. There will be 4 kids, 5 adults, a yellow lab, Skittle and my mom's Bitzy all under one roof for 4 days. LOL

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Hi Lisa! Sounds like you're having tons of fun with Skittle! We need more pictures :) Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving. My Bailey used to get car sick a lot as a puppy too but now he's fine. What worked for us in the beginning was waiting a couple of hours after he had eaten to take him in the car. Try not to feed her too much right before the ride...although, with her being so young and the car ride being so long, you may not want to go that long without food. I'm not sure...but hopefully it all goes well with you. Oh and one more thing...when you stop over half way through your ride, I wouldnt let her walk around on the ground. Since she hasnt had all her shots yet, it's probably safest to keep her off the ground outside at all times.

Have a happy thanksgiving!!!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Hi Lisa! Sounds like you're having tons of fun with Skittle! We need more pictures :) Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving. My Bailey used to get car sick a lot as a puppy too but now he's fine. What worked for us in the beginning was waiting a couple of hours after he had eaten to take him in the car. Try not to feed her too much right before the ride...although, with her being so young and the car ride being so long, you may not want to go that long without food. I'm not sure...but hopefully it all goes well with you. Oh and one more thing...when you stop over half way through your ride, I wouldnt let her walk around on the ground. Since she hasnt had all her shots yet, it's probably safest to keep her off the ground outside at all times.

:goodpost: Also hoping she'll either be in a carrier or a carseat. We recently had a tragedy with one of our little ones on SM, Leah and it just pointed up how important a restraint is. Have a great time. Sounds wild and wooly -- or in Maltese case -- hairy. :chili:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the info. I wish I had read it prior to going. I did allow her to walk on the ground to try and pee but it wasn't much. I ended up having to put a potty pad down on the cement. LOL She went though. She's had 2 rounds of her shots. When will it be ok to take her for walks and get her used to a leash?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like fun Lisa. Waiting for lots of pics :)

She was in a carrier so she was safe. I have a harness I will start using too. Right now, she is so scared in the car. She just slept most of the time and didn't move. What happened to the pup you are talking about that got hurt?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts