Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I'm extremely new at this and I need some reassurance =]

After Lucy zooms around the house a little bit and drinks some water, she breathes really funny- kind of raspy or wheezey. It makes me a little afraid, like she can't get enough air? Anybody heard of this?

I'd appreciate replies and advice

Thanks,

Jessica

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
All I can say that the exact same thing happens with Catcher. I figure he is breathing hard and drinking the water too fast and some may go down wrong and sort of choke him .... ? It only lasts a few seconds....

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Feb 6 2005, 12:55 PM
All I can say that the exact same thing happens with Catcher. I figure he is breathing hard and drinking the water too fast and some may go down wrong and sort of choke him ....  ?  It only lasts a few seconds....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33803
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thank goodness it only lasts a few seconds =\ I just get worried sometimes, you know? Anyways thanks for letting me know, I figured it was something like that.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy+Feb 6 2005, 12:58 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Feb 6 2005, 12:55 PM
All I can say that the exact same thing happens with Catcher. I figure he is breathing hard and drinking the water too fast and some may go down wrong and sort of choke him ....  ?  It only lasts a few seconds....
Yeah, thank goodness it only lasts a few seconds =\ I just get worried sometimes, you know? Anyways thanks for letting me know, I figured it was something like that.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33806
[/B][/QUOTE]
Don't feel bad for being worried..... Loving these babies makes us worry.... we can't help it!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Feb 6 2005, 12:55 PM
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it happens when Brinkley does that too...

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Ya, it's nothing to worry about. It's what they call reverse sneezing. It happens to them when they get too excited or drinking, I too think the water goes down the wrong way. That's why I mostly use a water bottle, but even with the bottle he manages to have the water go the wrong way.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes that is exactly what it is...it is caused from having a weak trachea. dogs have rings of cartilage that make up their trachea, but they dont form a complete cirlcle like humans do. they are C's. in small breed dogs it is common for this cartilage to be weak and sometimes the trachea collapases on them. a good way to make them stop the "spasam" is to pinch their nose and force them to breathe out of their mouth. but it is nothing to worry about unless it starts to occur more often, even when your pup is not excited, and then they start to turn blue. this situation would be an emergency, and would prob. need surgery to strangthen the rings of cartilage.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Lady Montava, that's interesting as well as reassuring. I like learning things like this from you. Have we told you yet how great you're gonna be?!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by Carol Ann@Feb 6 2005, 08:12 PM
Lady Montava, that's interesting as well as reassuring. I like learning things like this from you. Have we told you yet how great you're gonna be?! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33880
[/QUOTE]
thanks..glad i didnt bore u with technical info
i like people to be informed!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
On the subject of weak tracheas, make sure you always use a harness on your Malt and not a collar which can cause collapsing tracheas.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Feb 7 2005, 11:42 AM
Also a good idea is elevating the water dish so they do not have to bend their little necks to drink water.

We elevated Digby's food and water dishes and we have noticed a difference.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33982
[/QUOTE]

That makes a lot of sense :]

I'll definitely try that

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts