Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its funny now that i think about it but it wasnt funny when it happened last night...
I was on the phone and maxi was playing with his rawhide shoe and all of a sudden he starts excessively sneezing and jerking his head so i immediately grab his face and see that he got the shoelace of the rawhide shoe stuck in his nose and the other end in his mouth
poor baby so i of course pulled it right out
but i was like oh maximoo what happened and he had this bewildered look

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Nov 18 2004, 10:49 AM
Poor little Maxi

Might want to take away the shoelaces, you never know something that small could get caught in his throat
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16986
[/QUOTE]

I know i agree so i didnt give him one this morning or i will let him chew it only when i am home

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
How long are those shoelaces? Swallowing string (or shoelaces) is an all-too-common problem with cats and can be very serious as the string can wrap itself around the stomach and intestines and require surgery.

Rawhide chews can be dangerous for dogs anyway and are not recommended.

http://www.christyscanines.com/rawhide.htm

How about giving Maxi the safer Booda bones or the Nylabones? They have carrot and bacon cheese bones dogs love and can chew safely.

Another great choice is an interactive toy like a Buster Cube ot the new Busy Buddy toys. Lady loves her Twist and Treat. The Groove Thing looks great for chewers - smear it with a little peanut butter or cream cheese.

http://www.busybuddytoys.com/

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 18 2004, 11:15 AM
How long are those shoelaces? Swallowing string (or shoelaces) is an all-too-common problem with cats and can be very serious as the string can wrap itself around the stomach and intestines and require surgery.

How about giving Maxi the safer Booda bones or the Nylabones? They have carrot and bacon cheese bones dogs love and can chew safely.

Another great choice is an interactive toy like a Buster Cube ot the new Busy Buddy toys. Lady loves her Twist and Treat. The Groove Thing looks great for chewers - smear it with a little peanut butter or cream cheese.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16994
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Lady
yeah i better not give him any , maxi has alot of different chew toys that was just one of them i also give him that one that has peanut butter in the inside its like a long tube i get it from the vet i was giving him the shoes because it entertains him and he concentrates until he takes the shoe apart
but no more if its dangerous

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Lol
definantely one of those 'funny after the fact storys'. Poor Maxi, I bet he was like, What happend?!?! We give Caesar the Velvet gnarly bones and he loves those. They are edible and are made or cornstarch or something so they get mushy as he chews on them. Caesar loves the Chicken Santa Fe, or Baby Back Ribs flavor. Maybe Maxi would like these.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 18 2004, 11:15 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16994
[/QUOTE]

Lady i found this on Pet care RX

White Rawhide Shoe
Does your dog love to bite on your shoes? Well, he can now have his own. The rawhide shoe is a fun shoe that your dog will enjoy chewing for hours.

Veterinerians review

These treats promote healthy teeth and gums.

why do they reccomend this if its bad

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Aww.. poor Maxi! But it is pretty funny after the fact! :lol: I used to give Tuffy the velvet Booda bones and he loved them, but one morning he was acting weird and all of the sudden just puked up a huge chunk of the bone. It was nasty. They aren't as digestable as the Nylabone Edibles so since he is fond of eating huge chunks of bones, the Edibles are better for us.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79@Nov 18 2004, 12:16 PM
Aww.. poor Maxi!  But it is pretty funny after the fact!  :lol:   I used to give Tuffy the velvet Booda bones and he loved them, but one morning he was acting weird and all of the sudden just puked up a huge chunk of the bone.  It was nasty.  They aren't as digestable as the Nylabone Edibles so since he is fond of eating huge chunks of bones, the Edibles are better for us. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17032
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm I'll definantely trythe nylabones with Caesar...thanks

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I give Sunny the cornstarch bones, i usully give him the peppermint ones becuase i jsut really dont like bad breath some flavored bones give lol, he really likes them i havnt had a proublem with him breaking parts off but i do have to take them from him when they get to small

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I've been giving Sadie the Nylabone edibles and they keep her busy for a LONG time. She eats RedBarn dog food, which is a roll, so I figure that the Nylabones help her teeth. Anyway, I take them away when she's taken off both ends. She loves them! Last night I gave Jolie the Bichon a bigger one and this morning she had the runs really bad. She didn't eat that much of it, so don't know if it was a coincidence or not. When Jolie was a puppy I would give her a similar product and they turned her fur orange or brown where she was holding it with her paws. These from Nylabone are a HUGE improvement.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Speaking of the bones turning the fur colors.. AVOID the speariment nylabone! Tuffy had green chunks stuck everywhere in his facial hair and on his paws, it was gross and so hard to pull out. It doesn't seem to hold together as well as the others... Tuffy's favorite flavor is Cheese.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Poor little Maxi! I'm glad hes okay!

What type of things are good for chewing that you guys would recommend? And what about for puppies? It gets confusing because ou read this is good then somewhere else says its not...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Originally posted by snoopychan@Nov 19 2004, 03:34 AM
Poor little Maxi! I'm glad hes okay!

What type of things are good for chewing that you guys would recommend? And what about for puppies? It gets confusing because ou read this is good then somewhere else says its not...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17138
[/QUOTE]

I give Bella the Nylabone eatables. She also gets a greenie (we are new to these) about twice a week. I tried the regular nylabones but she didn't go for that. We also tried the velvet bones that are made of cornstarch. She liked those as well. It takes her about a week to chew one of these till they are gone (except the greenies which take about 2 days). I am VERY GROSSED OUT by anything's ears and especially bully sticks so I don't think we will ever try these. But I'm sure they are great for others with stronger stomachs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts