Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
leise is five months old now.. and i never had a maltese before so... i figured this would be the BEST place to ask anyone anything about this little fur ball..

i hear that there are different kinds of adult maltese coats. how do you know what your puppy has? is it hard to tell until they get older? her fur right now is so soft. still no matting or anything. when i first got her, she was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tangled everyday.. after about a week later, she stopped getting knots in her hair. what is normal?

depending on the type of her fur, would it be better to use a certain type of shampoo?

answers are appriciated

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I think it's usually around 9-10 months that the adult coat starts to come in. Tic has a silkier coat and Peanut is more cottony and mats easily. I use Bless the Beasts on both boys and it's great. Since Tic's coat is silkier, any shampoo and conditioner works well, but the BTB works great on Peanut and keeps him from getting any mats. Leise may start to mat more as she comes closer to the coat change as the new coat grows in. Daily brushing will help save both of you from the trouble of mats

bless the beasts

I forgot, you can usually find a bless the beast set on QVC too

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick response!

so i guess i wouldnt be able to tell what type of fur she will have when she DOES reach 9-10 months.. just trying to prepare myself.. are all maltese puppies silky in the beginning? my friend said her puppy NEVER had silky hair.. does this really happen? just curious..

·
Registered
802 Posts
I read that their food has a big effect on their coat, too. I was told to feed Max and egg every week. I will be reading more about coats later. I know he will keep his cotton coat for a while if not always. I kinda love the cotton feel. He doesn't really seem to matt, either. I was told also to use a regular black human comb on him to save the coat from breakage.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry this is a dumb question but... how does a cottony coat feel? i don't know what leise's fur type is.. x__X

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts

so i guess i wouldnt be able to tell what type of fur she will have when she DOES reach 9-10 months.. just trying to prepare myself.. are all maltese puppies silky in the beginning? my friend said her puppy NEVER had silky hair.. does this really happen? just curious..[/B]
I believe the basic type of coat is established when they are puppies. There may be a slight change as they are adults but I don't think you'll see a gorgeous silky coat turn cottony or a cottony coat turn silky. I've had three Malts and I haven't seen any change in coat texture from puppyhood to adulthood.

Catcher has a cottony coat. When it is wet it truly feels like cotton cloth. It is very soft, thick, lightweight and fluffy and does wonderfully in a puppy cut.

A silky coat will have a sheen to it and is cool to the touch. It kind of reminds me of human hair... the type that never frizzes and moves when the person walks.

I would imagine that there are degrees of cottony and silky coats.

·
Registered
751 Posts

so i guess i wouldnt be able to tell what type of fur she will have when she DOES reach 9-10 months.. just trying to prepare myself.. are all maltese puppies silky in the beginning? my friend said her puppy NEVER had silky hair.. does this really happen? just curious..[/B]
I believe the basic type of coat is established when they are puppies. There may be a slight change as they are adults but I don't think you'll see a gorgeous silky coat turn cottony or a cottony coat turn silky. I've had three Malts and I haven't seen any change in coat texture from puppyhood to adulthood.

Catcher has a cottony coat. When it is wet it truly feels like cotton cloth. It is very soft, thick, lightweight and fluffy and does wonderfully in a puppy cut.

A silky coat will have a sheen to it and is cool to the touch. It kind of reminds me of human hair... the type that never frizzes and moves when the person walks.

[/B]

I love the way you describe the coats.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for explaining in detail

maybe leise is just in the middle then... i guess that means i shouldnt explain too much change. thank you once again !

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

[/B]

I love the way you describe the coats.
[/B]
I love the way you describe the coats too. My husband and I are looking at Belle and trying to decide whether we want to go back to puppy cut or leave it long. Belle is somewhere in between and your description is helpful in making the decision.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
leise is five months old now.. and i never had a maltese before so... i figured this would be the BEST place to ask anyone anything about this little fur ball..

i hear that there are different kinds of adult maltese coats. how do you know what your puppy has? is it hard to tell until they get older? her fur right now is so soft. still no matting or anything. when i first got her, she was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tangled everyday.. after about a week later, she stopped getting knots in her hair. what is normal?

depending on the type of her fur, would it be better to use a certain type of shampoo?

answers are appriciated
[/B]
I'm not sure if you've seen this thread on grooming tools but these will help with keeping the coat looking as good as possible!

Grooming Tools Pictorial

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Sher, Belle seems to be hating her hair being longer, especially around her mouth. Her body is starting to look like it is all this hair and not that appealing any more. I have used the CC combs, brushes and I have tried the Bless The Beasts and #1 All Systems shampoos and conditioners. I just received the CC shampoo and conditioner and haven't tried it yet. Your opinions please, should I give it 1 more shot with the CC shampoo and conditioner or go to a shorter hair cut. It seems silly to keep her hair long if she is not going to be happy about keeping it that way any longer. She especially hates the hair around her mouth. She is always licking it and starting to get little hairballs in her stools on occasion. Any input would be appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts