Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about something that happened with the breeder that I was dealing with when considering buying a puppy. I remembering one of the first emails that I sent to the breeder, after being on this list as a lurker for a while, and learning about genetic testing. This breeder seemed really irritated that I asked about genetic testing, saying that she had been breeding and showing Maltese puppies for 38 years and none of them required genetic testing. It is just too expensive to have this test done. A couple of months later when I asked for the price of the puppy for the second time she told me the the female is $3,500 and the male is $2,500. I guess expensive depends on whose pocket the money comes from.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jun 20 2005, 10:26 AM
This is an excellent article about the "code of silence" among breeders as far as genetic testing goes:

http://www.caninechronicle.com/features/misc/milton_404.html
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74042
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this wonderful article. It has a lot of truth to it, unfortunately. Testing in my area can be done for less than $100 for the liver bile. Now, that is cheap, in my estimation, given what could happen down the road.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I rest my case. Buying from a reputable/show breeder versus hobby breeder does not garanty a healthy pup. It most certainly garanties a healthy price.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MALITDA@Jun 20 2005, 01:32 PM
exactly what is a hobby breeder?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74074
[/QUOTE]
I think of a hobby breeder as a small scale home operation that breeds whatever dogs they happen to have. And they don't breed too often nor have a lot of breeding pairs. They aren't breeding to better the breed. I think of Kallie's and my first Malt's Rosebud's breeders as hobby breeders. They both were breeding their pet store pets for the first time . Hobby breeders often do not know a lot about the breed, as was in the case of both Kallie's and Rosebud's breeders.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Jun 20 2005, 11:27 AM
I rest my case. Buying from a reputable/show breeder versus hobby breeder does not garanty a healthy pup. It most certainly garanties a healthy price.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74054
[/QUOTE]

As you say, there are no guarentees, but buying from a reputable breeder as opposed to a hobby breeder greatly improves your odds of getting a healthy, genetically sound puppy. Second and third generation puppy mill puppies (when the hobby breeder's pair is from a puppy mill or pet shop) carry just as many genetic time bombs as their parents do.

I think the "heathly price" could be argued to. Sure you'll pay more upfront for a puppy from a good breeder, but the difference between $700 and $1200 will seem pretty small if your puppy is diagnosed with a liver shunt at 6 months old and needs a $3000 surgery.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jun 20 2005, 12:50 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MALITDA
@Jun 20 2005, 01:32 PM

I think of a hobby breeder as a small scale home operation that breeds whatever dogs they happen to have. And they don't breed too often nor have a lot of breeding pairs. They aren't breeding to better the breed. I think of Kallie's and my first Malt's Rosebud's breeders as hobby breeders. They both were breeding their pet store pets for the first time . Hobby breeders often do not know a lot about the breed, as was in the case of both Kallie's and Rosebud's breeders.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74076
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think of a hobby breeder as someone who enjoys the sport of showing, has a few dogs, and breeds to get dogs for the ring. They sell a few to others as pets, or to other show homes. They do not sell inferior dogs for breeding, and require spay/neuter for pet quality pups. Those sold with full registration/breeding rights must be shown and finished before breeding.
I think of a backyard breeder as someone who has a few dogs, breeds without knowing or caring about standard or health, and sell to whoever comes along with the money.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I think of a hobby breeder as a small scale home operation that breeds whatever dogs they happen to have. And they don't breed too often nor have a lot of breeding pairs. They aren't breeding to better the breed. I think of Kallie's and my first Malt's Rosebud's breeders as hobby breeders. They both were breeding their pet store pets for the first time . Hobby breeders often do not know a lot about the breed, as was in the case of both Kallie's and Rosebud's breeders.[/B]

I think that's describing a BYB.

EDIT: I didn't refresh the page and see LucyLou's reply, I agree with her.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Hmmmm, LucyLou that makes sense... I guess I had thought of "hobby breeder" as someone breeding "for the fun of it" but what you say does make sense..... I think there is a wide range, then, regarding a BYB... Kallie's breeder was just a family breeding their two Malts for the first time and raising the puppies in their home. This seems so different in scope from what I think of as a BYB who has lots of breeding pairs and breeds all the time... always seems to have an ad in the paper and is doing it to make money. They run the operation like a business.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou+Jun 22 2005, 07:02 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 20 2005, 12:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-MALITDA
@Jun 20 2005, 01:32 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74076

[/QUOTE]

I think of a hobby breeder as someone who enjoys the sport of showing, has a few dogs, and breeds to get dogs for the ring. They sell a few to others as pets, or to other show homes. They do not sell inferior dogs for breeding, and require spay/neuter for pet quality pups. Those sold with full registration/breeding rights must be shown and finished before breeding.
I think of a backyard breeder as someone who has a few dogs, breeds without knowing or caring about standard or health, and sell to whoever comes along with the money.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74535
[/B][/QUOTE]
I totaly agree with you LucyLou,I feel the same way.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Jun 22 2005, 08:02 PM
I think of a hobby breeder as someone who enjoys the sport of showing, has a few dogs, and breeds to get dogs for the ring.  They sell a few to others as pets, or to other show homes.  They do not sell inferior dogs for breeding, and require spay/neuter for pet quality pups.   Those sold with full registration/breeding rights must be shown and finished before breeding.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74535
[/QUOTE]

Thinking more on this... so people like yourself, Rhapsody, Divine, etc. would be called hobby breeders?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Thinking more on this... so people like yourself, Rhapsody, Divine, etc. would be called hobby breeders?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74572
[/QUOTE]

People have hobbies and spend money to enjoy them. People have a business and make money at it. Some of us spend our money we make elsewhere in order to be able to raise dogs. Others have a lot, show them, and make money at it. Some show breeders are hobby breaders, and some have a business of raising dogs for profit.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Thought I would give you something else to think about:

A puppy mill can be someone with one dog. What if someone buys a dog purely for the reason of breeding, feeds poor quality food, knows nothing about quality or health of the dog, keeps it outside or in other poor living conditions, and breeds it every heat? Then, runs ads in the paper or on the internet and sells to whoever comes along with the money. To me, this is a puppymill just as much as the person with 100 dogs.
I have two very dear friends who raise a type of terrier. Each has a few dogs, loves them as part of their family, studies genetics/pedigrees and considers the health of their pups. They don't breed on the first heat, or on every heat. They screen the people who get their dogs, and they produce sound, well socialized pets for families. To me, these are people who fill a real nead for those looking for quality pets at reasonable prices. Yet, many times people like them are lumped in the category of puppymill or back yard breeder. When you look at breeders, please think kindly of people like them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts