Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering... in about 2yrs i will hopefully be moving out and would like to get another maltese. Kodie will be probably around 4yrs old then. Is it bad to get a new maltese puppy when your 1st maltese is 4yrs old? I know that kodie is very clingy and hasnt really "played" with other dogs before. He has been around other dogs but no playing. I was wondering what to expect and if this is a good idea? I rather know now if its a bad idea so i dont get depressed about it in 2yrs that i cant get another baby.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Can't help with most of your questions because I've always had 1 dog at a time.

I just wanted to suggest taking Kodie to a doggie daycare or something. Even if it is only once every week or two. At first he might not interact but after a few times he will get used to it. At least this way he is learning how to interact with other dogs. That might make it easier when you do get another dog. I was lucky enough to find a daycare that had a small breed day. They only allow small dogs to come on that day.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
My former vet had the rule that if you were going to get another one, to do it before the older one was 5 or 6. Following that advice (and I respected his opinions), 4 certainly wouldn't be too old in theory. But only you know your Kodie. Some dogs prefer to be only dogs and Kodie may be one of those. Lady is like that. She is around my daughter's dogs and my sister's dogs but never really interacts with them, let alone alone plays with them. She's not afraid of them, just oblivious to them.

Another thing to consider is Kodie's health in a couple of years. I know he has MVD, but I don't if this will make him sick in few years like Jackie's Mikey or not. If he's showing symptoms when you're ready to get another one, it might not be a good idea. I know when my Lady has "bad days" and isn't feeling well, it is so nice that she can rest and not be bothered by a playmate, let alone a puppy. I had considered adopting another one about a year after I adopted Lady, and am so glad that I didn't now.

There is a lot of puppy fever here on SM now, isn't there???

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahaha.. puppy fever indeed!
but i have had puppy fever ever since Kodie was 1yr old.. hahhaa... i just love this breed so much! I also heard and have seen how cute and wonderful it is to have 2 at one time!

I do agree... if kodie is becoming sickly at that time in his life... i will not get a puppy. Thank you for stating all the possiblities.. cause when you really love something (like a puppy) sometimes you can be blinded by important things.

I dont know of any puppy daycare in this area... see the problem with that is i'm too nervous that the other dogs are gonna be soooo much bigger and stronger than kodie and hes soooooooo tiny... he could get hurt. That is why i have to find a smaller maltese if i were to get another pup.

This is why I love to ask my questions here! Thank you!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wish i could... i dont know anyone that has a dog his size though.

I do try to take him over the breeders house as often as i go... they have 6 matlese there... and maybe 2 more cause the lady is takin in her sisters 2 matleses. Kodies aunt is there.. shes 4lbs... but she doesnt play anymore.. shes about 6yrs old... and that leaves kodie's mom thats about 3 1/2lbs.. but shes about 4 or 5 yrs old... so i dunno if she would play with him. All the other ones are a lot bigger than kodie. The last time we went over Kodie was running around and following the other 2 puppies around.. (they were around 5 - 7lbs, i think.) but they werent playing just walkin around and looking at things. It was a good thing because the 1st time Kodie went over their house he was soo scared he stayed with me the whole time... soo maybe hes gettin better!

Before our beagle (which was 25lbs) passed away.. kodie was about 8months old and he wanted to play with him. He would try to but our beagle was old and didnt wanna be bothered with him... so he would get mad. Sooo.. maybe there is hope..

·
Registered
894 Posts
Huuuuummmmmmmm, Puppy Fever?? Maybe it's something in the water?? LOL. I have no advice, but know that you'll come to a decision that is best for Kodie AND for you!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts