Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
The breeder my bf went to when he got his jack russel terrier said that since Peanut was used to the house being 'his' territory, the best way to handle the first time coming home is for one of us to take Peanut outside, while the other one brings the new dog in and lets him explore for a while. After the new pup got settled in the house, I brought Peanut back into the house. I think that was more for the benefit of Peanut though...it was so that Peanut would accept the puppy more easily in 'his' territory. She said that if we brought the new pup in the house while Peanut was inside, there might be some aggression (I don't know if that's the actual word she used), from Peanut towards the new dog, like the new dog is an intruder, but if the new dog is already inside when PEanut cama in, he would have a calmer response. It worked for us. I'm not sure if it's the only way or the best way.

The breeder that I am getting my new malt from said that I should keep the boys separate for a while when I can't supervise...only because of size differences, and the fact that Peanut is very active. That is to prevent any rough play accidents in the beginning while the two dogs get used to each other. Peanut is going to be 13-14 months old when this new puppy can come home. I don't think that they need to be separated all day and night, but when you are not around or cannot pay attention to them, they should be kept separate. I think that if supervised, they don't need to be kept separated for days.

As for the food issue, I have PEanut on Artemis small breed formula, and it is formulated for 'all life stages' the only difference is that the puppy serving size is double the amount that the bag lists as feeding guidelines. I plan on feeding the puppy in the crate, while Peanut can eat in the kitchen.

So far since I've been researching for my new puppy, the info I mostly got was that Tuffy being potty trained will help teach or be a role model for the new puppy. I hope it's true...

Good luck with your new puppy, and I can't wait to see pics!!!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
We have been so amazing lucky with Shrek. He was a "returnee" -- his first new family had a dog who just wouldn't accept him. Luckily for us

That hasn't been our experience at all. We were fully prepared to have a lengthy introduction period if necessary. We didn't need one. Within an hour of arriving home, the other 2 accepted him into the pack.

Note: We don't crate, so this has been in an environment in which all 3 have free range of the home. Shrek was pad trained when he arrived, so we haven't had a housebreaking period (yaaayyy). We had a couple of "accidents" from Sylphide the first week, but that ended quickly.

Shrek is doing so well. He's a very happy little fellow. He's so calm, easygoing, and outgoing. He is very, very easy to raise--so much more so than Sylphide, who was a little monster as a puppy. He's a momma's boy--comes to me for regular hugs and kisses then goes along his merry way to play and eat more. He's absolutely wonderful for his grooming--just kicks back and relaxes while I brush him, and puts his head down for me to put in his bow (his hair is getting long and hangs over his eyes when he doesn't have a bow in). He watches Sylphide closely and does everything she does, so training him has been very easy so far: for grooming; for getting dressed to go outside; and for going for walks with the harness and leash. Of course, this also works for the bad habits, too.

He and Sylphide are like forever siblings, and Shrek has already developed a wonderful relationship with our older dog, Ozzy. This really surprised me, because Ozzy usually doesn't like puppies very much. They hang out together, and sometimes Shrek gives Ozzy kisses. I was away for two days, and when I came back we all had a group hug
- Sylphide and Shrek on my lap, with Ozzy putting his head right next to theirs (he's bigger) with puppy kisses all around. Ozzy is a submissive, so Shrek sometimes bosses him around just for the fun of it. Ozzy seems so happy with both Sylphide and Shrek.

My husband took some wonderful photographs this morning of Sylphide and Shrek snuggling together for a nap after a vigorous wrestling match. I'll post them as soon as I can get them off his system into mine

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
One thing that helped me with Kallie and Catcher was to have a puppy play pen for Catcher. He is almost 10 months but I still feed him in there and he spends time throughout the day in his pen when I 'm home. The pen is huge, almost 7 feet long and 3 feet wide. This is Catcher's domain and he has toys in there, etc. This way he is safe if I can't watch him and it gives Kallie a chance to roam free on her own without him bothering her.

My two are not natural buddies. Kallie is submissive and Catcher is very bossy so she is still intimidated by him. So, she needs time to hang out without him. I think they like having their own territory.

When I first got him she was scared of him. She was two but had not been around other dogs in a while. He wanted to play and she didn't know how. Now, they do play a lot and I think Kallie enjoys it.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
congrats! is this another malt, or something else?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
aww she's cute!!! parker's best friend is my mom's yorkie
any names yet?

·
Registered
939 Posts
aww that sgreat Chico was 9 months when we brought home buddy ,i mad ea point of bringing chico with me to the breeders house and he liked the puppies .they play alot but a time the puppy will yelp becuse he is total puppy mode and i think Chico gets tired of it and says that ENOUGH!
but they sleep together play and eat together i never regreated foe one minute getting a 2nd fluff butt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts