Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are contemplating getting a second malt. We have had Brinkley almost a month, and I really wanted two all along, now I am thinking of getting a female. I was wondering if anyone had any preference/opinion as to when the best time to get another pup would be? Should I wait a year or so, or should I get one while he is still young, so they can learn/grow together? Just wondering what would be the easiest for us, but mostly the best for him.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Personally I would wait a little bit. I like my dogs to get bonded to me before adding another addition. Angel would never run away. She is glued to me wherever I go.

I wouldn't wait forever though. At 3 mine is a little snotty with puppies. They seem to annoy her.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another thought.

How old are your other dogs and cats?

If they are all young now, then they will all be elderly and in need of extra vet care at the same time. Not to mention the fact that you could possibly have them pass away rather close to the same time. It's hard enough to lose a pet but to lose multiple pets in a short period of time would be even harder.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
wait a couple of years because you want your dog to bond to you....not another dog. and then with the second dog---its going to be hard to have him bond to you because he's going to want to bond with your first dog. but it will be a little easier if he sees that your first dog is bonded to you.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Aww, arent these malts great! We've had Caesar for 5 months and would really like to get him a buddy someday (need a house first
). My breeder had told me when we went to get Caesar, that a lot of people end up getting 2 of them because they are so wonderful. She said if we do choose to do that, she suggested waiting a couple of years in between because then one will be a few years younger and chances are you will lose one before the other rather than losing both when they get older (not a plesant thought
, but that was her suggestion).

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never thought about it that way, but it makes sense. I was trying to do the "grow up together" thing...but the other makes sense.
Thanks for the input....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
its also great when the older dog teaches the younger dog manners and stuff. so ellie and sprite taught gruffi what not to do.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think that you should get another one now and have them grow up together
my neighbor just got 2 sister's they are cockapoos and they are adorable together
i would have prefered to get maxi a sister when i first got now now that he is 10 months i am nervous that if i get another one he won't be happy
he is the king of the house and he might not like competition

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maxismom,

That is what I was thinking, but there are good points to both sides. I may wait until next spring-I want to get a pup when I am home for the summer. So I may start looking and checking with a few breeders that I have talked to in the spring, so maybe I can find one that is ready by the end of May. He does think he is king of the house, but he shares his castle with three cats and two more outside dogs, I think he would like another playmate regardless.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:D We have two Malts and we got them about a month and a half apart, they are a boy(Pudge) and a girl(Josie) and we got Pudge first and my husband was home all summer with him and then he had to go back to work and we felt awful leaving him home so we got a little girl and they are so awesome together. The play all the time with each other and are best buds. However, when we are home they take equal time on our laps-they trade off it is so cute. They sleep side by side on their backs all four legs up in the air on our bed. Also Pudge taught Josie how to go out the doggie door and go potty so she was completly potty trained by 18 weeks :D As I said in another post we now have two baby girls and if we do not keep them they will be going as a pair(not to far just next door-the best of both worlds I will still get to see them and mom and dad will get to play with them) because they are such social dogs that they love to have a playmate. I had not thought about losing them about the same time, but I would not trade them having companionship 24/7 for anything. Just another viewpoint. That is why this site is so awesome, so many different viewpoints......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts