Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Has anyone any idea the easiest way to collect a urine sample from Mya?? :huh: For some reason she has started doing tiny little wees on the floor - shes normally house trained and its often after shes been outside so im taking her to the vet on sat, however the girl said if i can try to get a sample that would be great

Now, i know 'how' to do it, i guess anyway. but is there a easy way?? Shes sooo close to the ground i just dont think its going to be too easy!! :blink::blush:

thanks for any ideas! :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Its easier than you think. I had to do this 2 weeks ago. Thankfully Bitsy didn't have a UTI. The best way to get a urine sample is to turn over the pee pad and let her pee on the plastic side - then carefully lift the pee pad and let it drain into a small container. What I do is make sure that the minute she wakes up from my bed, I immediately take her over to the pee pad so that I know she has to go and won't put up a fuss that the pad is upside down.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Its easier than you think. I had to do this 2 weeks ago. Thankfully Bitsy didn't have a UTI. The best way to get a urine sample is to turn over the pee pad and let her pee on the plastic side - then carefully lift the pee pad and let it drain into a small container. What I do is make sure that the minute she wakes up from my bed, I immediately take her over to the pee pad so that I know she has to go and won't put up a fuss that the pad is upside down.

took the words right out of my mouth. Yep, turn the pee pee pad over.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
If she is an outside tinkler you can take a plastic ladle and follow here around when she squats place the ladle underneath her backside and you can capture the urine that way. Transfer to a container and dispose the ladle and your done.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Since Missy was a diabetic I had LOTS of experience collecting pee ( ask the neighbors! LOL ) She wasn't pad trained so the turning over the pad wasn't an option.

Naddie isn't pad-trained either... and a bit of a 'bashful' pee-er. however I still have been able to collect. I use a styro cup cut down to about an inch high. I found approaching from behind between the hind legs is easiest.
Some at our diabetes board have used a ladle (small bowl type works best for these wee ones) that they bent the handle so it is straight and slipped that under to collect.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
If she is an outside tinkler you can take a plastic ladle and follow here around when she squats place the ladle underneath her backside and you can capture the urine that way. Transfer to a container and dispose the ladle and your done.
Yup, a ladle works best! :thumbsup:

I asked my vet about taking a sample from a pee pad and she said "no", that it could be contaminated so they wouldn't get an accurate result.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks ladies! I had to laugh at the thought of you all runnind around the garden after your fluffs. Mya goes outside too so the neighbours will get a good laugh im sure! She doesnt go until sat morning so think i might try a few times before then so as hopefully it will be easy to do on sat before we go. Mya has a terrible habbit of WALKING along while peeing - ive no idea why as the other 2 dont - so this could be fun!!!

Thanks again :)

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
I know what you mean! I am still laughing at the mental picture of running after a squatting dog with a ladel!! Just remind me to skip the soup course if I ever come to your house for dinner!! LOL!

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
A paper plate works great! Just slip it under when she goes pee

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I have lots of experience with a male who was diabetic. What I don't understand is that the vet asks you to bring a sample with you. I never had to do that, not with my vet in Houston and not here. We even had a laugh here with a vet tech because she tried to get the urine thinking Alex will lift his leg (since he is a male), but instead he squatted.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
My vet told me to use a clean sandwich sized plate with a rim. You slip it under from behind just as they are about to go and pour slowly into the urine cup. Worked like a charm!!!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hiya

It wasnt the vet himself....it was the girl at the desk that said it might be a good idea. When they asked what was wrong i explained that shes peeing a lot more than normal but its just very small amounts at a time, on the floor - and since shes house trained i wanted to get her checked out. The girl said if i could bring a sample it might help the vet - so if i dont get one its not the end of the world but i will do my best

1 - 15 of 15 Posts