1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- barking
- walks
- separation anxiety

When I got my pup at 4 months, it was so easy. Hardly barked and loved going outside. Now at 10 months, barking is excessive, afraid to go outside and howls when I leave. I guess it's my fault because I loved the fact that he followed me everywhere in the house. I played with him when he would carry his toy and drop it in front of me. It was just so cute. Now I'm reading I should initiate and ignore when he does it especially when he barks. I understand that I should be the pact leader but just like a child, you give in and want to spoil them. Also, I work full time that I love giving him all the attention when I get home and weekends. I actually got a dropcam and I can see and hear him using my iPhone when I leave. Boy there' days he howls/whines for 30 minutes. I also notice when I am not giving him attention, he quietly whines. I feel so bad. As for the walking, he heard a loud stupid motorcycle and he just wanted to go back inside. Think that scarred him. I've even given him treats to lure him but just doesn't work.

Sorry this is long. I'm just overwhelmed and frustrated. He is a happy and thank God healthy.. I so want to be a good Mom.... And I know he's only a pup and will get better. Does it??

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I don't agree that he should not be able to initiate play. Where did you read that?

I do think that it sounds like he needs more socialization and confidence building. You didn't mention, has he ever been to socialization classes?

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
First, stop reading the Caesar Milan books. All that pack leader stuff is nonsense. Go and find a good trainer that utilizes positive training methods. Try to find one that is APDT certified. And you most likely won't find that at Petco or PetSmart. Get him and you going to training together. It will help you to learn how to train him, socialize him and strengthen your dog/owner bond. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Crap, I just downloaded a couple of Cesar Millan's book... Oh well, they are entertaining if nothing else. I've noticed he talks only about very large dogs...never addresses the smaller lapdogs very much.

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
MiMi barks to initiate play, to get my attention, to get the attention of anybody who comes to visit. For a while it was cute. It is a yap that can make your ears bleed. Lately she has been doing it every time she wants a cookie. Three days ago she started arfing at me to my wits end. Finally, I lost it at screamed at her to shut up. I screamed louder than her arfing. Well, my poor baby looked like she had been totally stricken. But, guess what? The horrible high pitched arfing stopped. Three days and no beasty arfing. I felt so bad, because she looked like I had smacked her in the face. But it worked. That ear splitting arfing is in the past.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Hi Karen

This remind me so much of Biscuit! We too didn't train him right at the beginning and both Mommy and Daddy spoiled him silly. We didn't socialize him much at all so he shy away from socializing with other dogs, actually I think Biscuit doesn't think he's a dog! LOL.... He also have serious separation anxiety if we leave him alone by himself just for mearly minutes. He Barks and Growls, and when we come home finally he whines too!

Bless you for trying to find answers as it show how much you love Angelo! I think you have receive some sound advice there on finding a private trainer! Goodluck and keep us posted on any new development!

By the way! Angelo looks adorable and cute! Please post more pics of Angelo!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Hi Karen,
Little Angelo is so cute! It sounds like maybe he needs to build up his confidence. I agree with others that if you haven't already taken him to puppy kindergarten or basic obedience classes, that is a great place to start. It definitely makes them more confident, and helps build the bond between you. It also helps with socialization. There are lots of positive reinforcement based training classes. Be careful to avoid the dominance based training. We took some really good classes at our local SPCA. Here is a link to find a certified trainer from the Certification Counsel of Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT):
Finding Help

Also, since it sounds like he is home while you are at work, you could try playing with him for a while before you leave. I get up 1/2 hour early to play with Daisy and Max. They need to be tuckered out before I leave for the day! I do the same thing at night too. They are less stressed out when they are tired.

You could also do an internet search to read more about separation anxiety. I faced this recently with our Lhasa, Buddy. You can try to desensitize them to your leaving by repeatedly leaving for a minute and then coming back, and gradually increasing the time gone. We also tried Rescue Remedy and the Thundershirt (which didn't seem to work for us, but seems to work well for some) and the plug in pheremones (DAP) which did really seem to help. After about a month, he got over it and now is fine.

I would definitley try to work things out now, while he is still young, before they really become ingrained habits.
Hang in there! Angelo is probably going through an adjustment phase, and I think there are things you can do to help. You are a good mom for worrying about him and wanting him to be happy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What exactly is rescue remedy? Is that some kind of training? Dropcam is awesome. its a small camera you plug in. It is sooo simple and quick. all you need to do is go to their website and register and that's it. takes 5 minutes! you do need wifi at home though. you see everything in the room and its high definition! you can hear and talk too. you can view in your computer and think all smart phones. I"m so bad, I watch Angelo all day at work using my iphone. and get to see my husband kiss and take care of him.. I swear dropcam should pay me cause I've told all my friends about it LOL. cost $145 but worth it!!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Ok, I am actually not a Cesar Milan hater, I think he's great-in some situations, I doubt we'll ever see a maltese in one of those situations though :)

I HIGHLY recomend kikopup:

She as a TON of videos on UTUBE for free that covers dozens of doggie issues. She is utterly brilliant, uses positive reinforcement and I have a major girl crush on her. Seriously though, she's brilliant, by far my favorite trainer.

Tucker has separation anxiety when it comes to me too so I completely understand how difficult it can be. Have you thought of doing some doggie daycare too? We have some excellent options in our area, you could maybe take him once or twice a week for playtime and socialization while you're at work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't agree that he should not be able to initiate play. Where did you read that?

I do think that it sounds like he needs more socialization and confidence building. You didn't mention, has he ever been to socialization classes?

I read it at other websites/forums to stop the barking..

Think that's what I need to do! he does love playing with other dogs..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First, stop reading the Caesar Milan books. All that pack leader stuff is nonsense. Go and find a good trainer that utilizes positive training methods. Try to find one that is APDT certified. And you most likely won't find that at Petco or PetSmart. Get him and you going to training together. It will help you to learn how to train him, socialize him and strengthen your dog/owner bond. Good luck!

Really? I don't have the books but watched the show a few times. I even watched when I didn't have Angelo. It is entertaining and good endings..

You are right, that's what I need to do. I will research right now and find a good trainer. It's a shame, when he does see other dogs, he just wants to play with them. Now, I do not know because for the past few days, he's afraid to go out. and I live in a quiet private area too. But occasionally, you get a passerby with a loud car or motorcyle...

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Just Dont ever give up!!!!
It will Get better.
I was a Mess The first 4 months. Thought id Never survie it.
Just Learn and seek advice like you are doing. Your a Good Mommy*
Nickee in Pa*

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Karen

This remind me so much of Biscuit! We too didn't train him right at the beginning and both Mommy and Daddy spoiled him silly. We didn't socialize him much at all so he shy away from socializing with other dogs, actually I think Biscuit doesn't think he's a dog! LOL.... He also have serious separation anxiety if we leave him alone by himself just for mearly minutes. He Barks and Growls, and when we come home finally he whines too!

Bless you for trying to find answers as it show how much you love Angelo! I think you have receive some sound advice there on finding a private trainer! Goodluck and keep us posted on any new development!

By the way! Angelo looks adorable and cute! Please post more pics of Angelo!

Oh yes he does the same except he loves to see other dogs and play with them. It just the noise that scares him..

Sounds like you love Biscuit too! they definitely stole our hearts.. and thank you so much. will definitely post more pics.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
What exactly is rescue remedy? Is that some kind of training?
Rescue Remedy is drops that you can give for stress or anxiety. It is made from flower essences, sort of like us drinking chammomile tea when we are stressed out. It seems that most people have good luck with it.
Here is a desciption and reviews -
Bach Rescue Remedy Dog Cat Flower Essences

The dropcam sounds really neat, but I think I would get nothing done at work because I would be watching all day!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Karen,
Little Angelo is so cute! It sounds like maybe he needs to build up his confidence. I agree with others that if you haven't already taken him to puppy kindergarten or basic obedience classes, that is a great place to start. It definitely makes them more confident, and helps build the bond between you. It also helps with socialization. There are lots of positive reinforcement based training classes. Be careful to avoid the dominance based training. We took some really good classes at our local SPCA. Here is a link to find a certified trainer from the Certification Counsel of Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT):
Finding Help

Also, since it sounds like he is home while you are at work, you could try playing with him for a while before you leave. I get up 1/2 hour early to play with Daisy and Max. They need to be tuckered out before I leave for the day! I do the same thing at night too. They are less stressed out when they are tired.

You could also do an internet search to read more about separation anxiety. I faced this recently with our Lhasa, Buddy. You can try to desensitize them to your leaving by repeatedly leaving for a minute and then coming back, and gradually increasing the time gone. We also tried Rescue Remedy and the Thundershirt (which didn't seem to work for us, but seems to work well for some) and the plug in pheremones (DAP) which did really seem to help. After about a month, he got over it and now is fine.

I would definitley try to work things out now, while he is still young, before they really become ingrained habits.
Hang in there! Angelo is probably going through an adjustment phase, and I think there are things you can do to help. You are a good mom for worrying about him and wanting him to be happy.
Hi Kathleen, Thank you so much. so funny because yesterday, I went upstairs to the bedroom and stayed there for 5 minutes. My husband was asking what I was doing. I told him that it's not good to take him everywhere I go in the house. I should leave him a bit and then go back. I should do this more often and longer so he will get use to it. I will take your advise and get up earlier, 6 instead of 6:30 and play with him a lot longer. I do however, play with him at night since I have more time.. best part of my day! :)

Sorry to hear you had the same issue but happy to know it worked out after all. Gives me hope.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts