Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I have kids 10 and 13 years old and they have wanted a dog for years. My wife's sister has a maltese and we have been dog-sitting some and now the family has their heart set on a maltese. I know almost nothing about buying dogs. We do not want a show dog, just a healthy family dog.

We have so much to learn and to do to get ready for this next step for the family.

-Nate

Registered
Reactions: NateBW

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I definitely plan to keep reading.

In my case, your link makes a really good case for a rescue dog. If it was me, that is what I would do, but the kids have their hearts set on a Maltese.

Premium Member
Welcome to SM Nate! I am so excited to follow your families adventure in finding and adopting a Maltese. Maltese are the best, sweetest, companion dogs around - not to mention cutest. Yes, I am very partial! 馃挒

I should add that many here on SM have adopted rescue maltese - they are available and make wonderful loving pets.
馃惗 馃惥馃尰

Registered
I live in the Tampa Bay area and have had Maltese for 16 years. I have done obedience, rally and agility with my dogs. I don't mean to be a downer, but I have many friends who are Maltese breeders. My friends are show breeders but do sell some of their dogs as pets. Since the pandemic, the demand for dogs of all breeds has increased so it's a matter of supply and demand which has driven prices up. The good news is that some of the best Maltese breeders live in Florida. They spend a lot of time and money on producing the best dogs that meet the breed standard so your best bet is to contact a show breeder who interviews you and your family and will try to make the best match possible. With that said all of the breeders I know have a waiting list for puppies. There is list of Maltese breeders on the American Maltese Association website. American Maltese Association | A National Breed and Member club of the American Kennel Club

One thing I would absolutely not do. DO NOT BUY A DOG VIA THE INTERNET. There are many scammers out there who may or may not have a dog and will send you stolen pictures and often are priced more than reputable breeders.
Some of our SM family have found pictures stolen from this website on internet sites selling puppies. I wish you much luck in finding your new family member. Feel free to pm me if you would like to ask me questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts