Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The spam on SM is getting worse and worse. I know quite a few of us have to report threads for iphones, streaming football videos, etc. on a daily basis now. Spambots are getting smarter and smarter. The other day was terrible - it went on all day. Poor Maggie! It's got to drive the mods crazy constantly getting reports of spam.

All the other forums I have belonged to don't allow a newbie's first few posts to automatically post to the board. The first 3-5 posts have to be approved by a moderator before they show up on the forum. This stops the spambots from bombarding a forum with ads. The mods can just block their IP address and we never have to see all those ads.

I think this would work well on SM as it would allow the mods to keep one step ahead of the spam.

·
Premium Member
17,195 Posts
Maybe we should all buy one of those "Spam" watches! :brownbag::smtease::smtease:

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I see three on there right now for iPhones. I just don't click on them. The only time these things are aggravating to me is when I come here on my phone and it takes up space that I could've otherwise seen new posts. But it still doesn't cause me that much trouble since I can just scroll past them.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see three on there right now for iPhones. I just don't click on them. The only time these things are aggravating to me is when I come here on my phone and it takes up space that I could've otherwise seen new posts. But it still doesn't cause me that much trouble since I can just scroll past them.
I wasn't referring to the pop up ads, but actual spam threads. Most are from other countries so the spambots crawl in the night. Quite a few of us report all the new ones every morning when we log onto SM. I always click on "new posts" and the index is full of them. I know it must drive the mods crazy to keep getting spam alerts.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
All the other forums I have belonged to don't allow a newbie's first few posts to automatically post to the board. The first 3-5 posts have to be approved by a moderator before they show up on the forum. This stops the spambots from bombarding a forum with ads. The mods can just block their IP address and we never have to see all those ads.

I think this would work well on SM as it would allow the mods to keep one step ahead of the spam.
Yea - i think it was last night that the one person opened about 7 threads. Nothing to do with Maltese. Not a bad idea.:angry:

That's a wonderful idea Marj! I know Sue, i was reporting last night it was rather ridiculous.

I just want to take a moment to thank you Maggie for all you do! :aktion033:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has been worse than usual the past few days for some reason - I will point Yung to your suggestion and see what he says.
Thank you, Maggie ..... once again!

Just having the first few posts screened shouldn't be a problem for legitimate newbies. What most do is write an introduction post, then maybe ask a question in a second thread. When those two posts are approved and posted, all they have to do is respond a couple times and they are "official".

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You KNOW I am all for it. I just finished complaining about this two days ago :D
Anna, your thread is why the lightbulb finally went off for me! You asked if there was anything that could be done and it took me three days to figure out why none of the other forums have this problem! :rofl:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Anna, your thread is why the lightbulb finally went off for me! You asked if there was anything that could be done and it took me three days to figure out why none of the other forums have this problem! :rofl:
Heheh!!!
Well, I can't say anything...3 days later and I STILL hadn't come up with a way to solve it...so you've gone me beat :HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
587 Posts
I used to help run a forum (not as large as this one though) and we got hit with spam pretty bad too. One thing that helped was blocking certain spammy email domains from registering. A lot of spam was coming from people with @mail.ru addresses, so blocking them cut down on it quite a bit. But yeah, getting rid of spam is a neverending battle!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It has been worse than usual the past few days for some reason - I will point Yung to your suggestion and see what he says.
Maggie, have you been able to talk to Yung yet? I just reported six spam threads. I am getting really sick of this and I am sure you are, too!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bumping this again as nothing has been done yet. This is what I saw when I logged on to SM this morning, five new spam threads.

I am getting so tired of reporting all this spam every day when there is an easy way to cut down on it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts