Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had Puddles teeth checked tonight at the Vet. She informed me that its a most that they be pulled, 4 of them. She checked him real good and the baby teeth are not loose at all.

We are scheduled for Thursday morning and I am so nervous and upset. What if he don't wake up...or he stops eating cause of the pain.
They will also trim his toe nails and pluck the ear hairs. She said that my groomer was not doing a good job.
They needed to be shorter and cleaner. Heck, this is the 1st indoor dog I have ever had and thought a good job was being done. Gave me the guilt feeling.

As far as the neutered, hubby and I are still on different sides. My vet said it didn't matter with males if we had it done at 7 mons or 1 year. The healing process would be the same and she could not and would not promise that if we have him fixed that he would not lift his leg. So, we are going to hold off on this until we both agree. :wacko: I don't want any, I told you so. lol

Thanks to all that informed me about having the teeth check...anything else I need to watch for ?

Say a prayer Thursday morning, for me and Puddles.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
If you are even CONSIDERING having him neutered...do it all together! Brinkley had teeth pulled ( 2 loose, 2 not at all loose) at the same time...AND eye hairs taken out...he did fine...you would NEVER know he had teeth pulled...and past the first full day...you would never know he had surgery. I would say only put him under once if you can. Just my opinion. He will be fine!
We all are worried and stressed, but now I am glad it is over with...

·
Registered
939 Posts
We had some of Tiki's teeth removed when he was neutered. If you are not going to breed him, have him fixed.....lots of reasons from longer live and better health to less of the negative behaviors that those hormones cause.

Either way, don't worry about the teeth. We had to go back a second time because one was stuck and he had to be put under to get the tooth out. He was fine, though I did opt for the optional pain killer. Tiki was very sleepy, but recovered quickly and was eating his regular food the next day.

Keep us posted!

Judi

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Missy never had to have teeth pulled but at 10 years old has had her teeth cleaned several times over the years. We usually had that scheduled when she had other procedures done so she didn't have to be put under any more than necessary. ( unfortunately she has had to have a lot of things done ).
Did your vet suggest that ideally teeth and the neutering should be done at the same time?
I will say the procedure they used for Missy ( even for her bladder surgery) was a "quick-under.. and quick out"... not a long groggy period after the procedure.
I know I was in a 'twit" when Missy went for the first time to stay all day at the vet for her spay. I thought the clock was NEVER going to move!!!! so I could go pick her up!!!
Will keep your little one in my prayers... I think it will be harder on you than on your baby!

Missysmom

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
when we got ellie spayed she got 2 teeth pulled. she was totally fine!!! and lifting of the leg is a learned behavior---gruffi still squats 90% of the time. its really cute.

·
Registered
994 Posts
when maxi was neutered they also pulled 2 teeth to be honest i think the teeth pulling is a it of a scam for extra money i did it anyway but im sure they would have came out on there own....good thing to do is always smell there ears make sure they have no ear infections , smell there breath make sure they have no tetth infection just be aware of smells ....maxi last week had an odor coming from his mouth i brush his teeth every day i noticed he was missing a tooth on the side now its fine but this is how i know when he doesnt feel good

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Oct 26 2004, 09:57 AM
when we got ellie spayed she got 2 teeth pulled.  she was totally fine!!!  and lifting of the leg is a learned behavior---gruffi still squats 90% of the time.  its really cute. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13301
[/QUOTE]

I don't quite understand about the leg lifting. I have heard people say that their babies had never been around another male dog yet they lifted their legs. If it is learned, how then is this possible? Is it possibly an innate behavior that occurs when adult male hormones start acting up in an un-neutered dog?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I think the leg lifting being referred to is not while urinating, but marking territory. That is instinct, but can be curbed with training. Tiki marks like crazy outside where other dogs have marked. He has never marked in the house or any other home unless he smelled that another dog had marked the area. I know this because I have watched him sniff around homes that have dogs, he won't lift his leg unless he smells another dog has done the same... I have two friends who have dogs that "mark" and he has sniffed and gone to lift his leg, I give him a firm "NO" and he will stop, once or twice is all it takes and he knows he is not to do that. Outside I let him go for it though

Judi

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
tikis mom is totally right---gruffi will lift his leg when the scent of another dog is up high(on a bush or tree), you know? so he tries to pee higher than the other dog and totally cover that dogs scent.

i'm glad that gruffi lifts his leg at times...because when he was younger--he would pee on his chest
poor baby. we had to wash him a lot when he was a baby!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I recently had Kodie's baby teeth pulled and neutered all at once. Kodie had 7 teeth pulled! haha... and hes over 1yr old... the baby teeth just didnt fall out because his mouth is so small. Dont be nervous.. i was but it was worth it because now Kodie has STRAIGHT teeth! He used to have all two rows or crazy teeth!
Kodie even eats better now that those teeth are pulled out.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Puddles surgery went great.

While they were weighing him, my eyes got watery. I knew I was fixing to loose it and maybe take him back home. I had packed him a goodie bag of his favorite treat and asked her to give him some as soon as it was ok. She said sure and he will be fine, but I think we better take him on back. I know she saw my face was so sad.

The day was so long and I was there 30 minute before time for pick up. He was so happy to see me....face licks and all.
I put my face in his fur and kissed and kissed. While driving home, I thought, I would have never guess that this little fur ball would mean so much to me.

He was back to his self the next morning and his mouth looks much better. The tooth fairy delivered so many goodies and toys.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Oct 31 2004, 12:51 AM
Puddles surgery went great.

While they were weighing him, my eyes got watery. I knew I was fixing to loose it and maybe take him back home. I had packed him a goodie bag of his favorite treat and asked her to give him some as soon as it was ok.  She said sure and he will be fine, but I think we better take him on back. I know she saw my face was so sad. 

The day was so long and I was there 30 minute before time for pick up. He was so happy to see me....face licks and all.
I put my face in his fur and kissed and kissed.  While driving home, I thought, I would have never guess that this little fur ball would mean so much to me.

He was back to his self the next morning and his mouth looks much better.  The tooth fairy delivered so many goodies and toys. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14180
[/QUOTE]

So happy it is over and that all went so well for your Puddles!
Terry and Missy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts