Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Swiffer to the vet today because he has a spot where he has lost hair and the skin is thick and slightly red. She took a scrape to send out for a culture test. She wasn't sure what it was.

In the meantime he is suppose to take a 1/2 tablet of an antibiotic. He was also given a vitamin supplement to take for his allergies. It is a fish oil capsule. I can't get him to swallow it!

Tell me how you get capsules down your dogs throats! :unsure::unsure:

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Tofu hot dogs. I bury then in a little bite of the hot dog, and they never even knew they took a pill!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I have had that same problem. Tell your vet you need the pills compounded into a liquid form. Not sure about the liquid capsules - maybe ask the vet if they can be opened and poured onto the food????

My vet's office tried telling me how to get them to take pills - well I've tried every method anyone has ever told me about and well.... it's impossible for me. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i put the 1/2 tablet into a tiny piece of peach. Fiona eats it no problem. you may also try a half or 1/4th of a rasberry or 1/2 of a blueberry instead - really anything that is soft and can hold the piece of tablet.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Try rolling cream cheese around the pill. It worked great for both Star and Scruffy. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I managed to get the antibiotic down him after several tries by wrapping it in food. But he won't have anything to do with the big fish capsule.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
for pills and small capsules I use the 1-2-3 'fire' method. make three chees balls from american chees, holding in my hand a bit to soften.
First ball is tiny and 'empty ( a 'teaser)
2nd has pill TOTALLY COVERED ( the important one)
3rd another empty... but works on the 'greed-factor... they take the 2nd to hurry to get to the 3rd.
I let them see all 3 in palm of my hand and 'fire": 1-2-3-

For the large oil capsules I just poke a hole and squeeze onto food . Naddie could easily take the fish oil as she is bigger.. not Quincy.. it's just too big for his tiny mouth... afraid he'll choke!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for pills and small capsules I use the 1-2-3 'fire' method. make three chees balls from american chees, holding in my hand a bit to soften.
3rd another empty... but works on the 'greed-factor... they take the 2nd to hurry to get to the 3rd.

For the large oil capsules I just poke a hole and squeeze onto food . Naddie could easily take the fish oil as she is bigger.. not Quincy.. it's just too big for his tiny mouth... afraid he'll choke!
This sounds like a good method. :thumbsup:
I wasn't sure if I could just poke the hole in the oil capsule. Thanks for letting me know it can be done this way.

Everyone on here is so helpful! Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,433 Posts

Funny I do almost exactly the same thing. I use cheese beef or chicken, depending what I have on hand. Ohh! pate is a good one too ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
I use Pill Pockets - same concept as the food but it's in a package which I find more convenient. I tear them in half for my little ones.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
My vet tech taught me a trick that works really good cuz some dogs are really good at eating the treat and spitting out the pill/med

She taught me to open the mouth as if i am brushing teeth (but tilt jaw upright), place the pill as far back lifting jaw up...then BLOW a little air into the throat and release jaw...this causes them to swallow (kind of the way we eat cherries and just spit out the seed)...it works like a charm...

my pups were so clever when i buried the pill in food that they would store the pill in their cheek and then go around the corner and spit the pill out on their pee pads...thus i love the BLOW/Swallow method...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have to give Lucy a pill every night before bed for the rest of her life. I lick my finger (so the pill sticks) and put it in the back of her throat. Then I scratch her muzzle and give her a kiss.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
We use Pill Pockets too. If somebody spits it out, then peanut butter on the roof of mouth, and if that doesn't work, I pry the mouth open, shove it in as far as I can, then clamp shut massage throat till I see or feel the swallow.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
My vet tech taught me a trick that works really good cuz some dogs are really good at eating the treat and spitting out the pill/med

She taught me to open the mouth as if i am brushing teeth (but tilt jaw upright), place the pill as far back lifting jaw up...then BLOW a little air into the throat and release jaw...this causes them to swallow (kind of the way we eat cherries and just spit out the seed)...it works like a charm...

my pups were so clever when i buried the pill in food that they would store the pill in their cheek and then go around the corner and spit the pill out on their pee pads...thus i love the BLOW/Swallow method...
:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
My dogs won't take pills hidden in anything as they always chew their treats/food.

I do it the old-fashioned way, and it works...

Open their mouth, slide the pill far back into the throat. Hold their muzzle shut, and with your other hand, massage the throat/adam's apple area in an up and down motion which forces them to swallow. They get a treat after the pill goes down. It takes about 20 seconds for the whole process and it is much better than trying to "hide" it in a piece of food.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found what works! The small pills I roll in cream cheese. He loves it. The oil pill I put cream cheese on too, then blow in his nose/mouth and he swallows it. He's happy and I'm happy!! Thanks everyone!!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Are you having trouble with the antibiotic tablet or the fish oil capsule?

I can easily hide a small pill in a cheese cube. Fish oil capsules are huge so I use a fish oil supplement especially for dogs that has a pump.

"DermaPet" Eicosaderm 8 oz (230 ml)
Marj - how do you use that? Do you just pump a certain amount into Lady's food? Do you put it into a measuring spoon and if so, how much?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts