Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year, there are two particular people whom I am excited to give gifts to, my brother and my dad. These are two very difficult people to shop for. First of all, they have everything they could ever want and/or need, so try shopping for that!

So, for my brother, I bought him tickets to see Stomp! I was so excited to see that they will be in Chicago in April. He has been wanting to see them since he was a kid! Also, for his birthday (in January) I am buying him tickets to see Rent! WOO HOO! Last year I bought him tickets to see Beauty and the Beast and he was thrilled with it, so I think this is a nice gift. I take him to Chicago and then we always go to dinner afterwards. Just last month we went to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolored Dream Coat. I have listened to the cd and watched the DVD countless times, but seeing it in person and seeing Amy Adams (she was from American Idol :D ) as the narrator was awesome! Okay, I am digressing!

Okay, now for my dad. He is IMPOSSIBLE to shop for. He does things like says he wants something, then someone will go out and buy it for him and the next day he comes home with it.
He did that a few years back and my mom about had a fit. She had like $500 worth of gifts and he went out and bought the very same stuff. She was so mad, she wrapped it all up and gave it to him anyway.
So I bought him a few gifts that he will be pleasant about, but nothing he will LOVE. So the other day, it hit me--TOENAIL CLIPPERS! Okay, before you look at me like
, my dad has this mini-quest to find the perfect toenail clippers and he has been on it for years. So it finally dawned on me that since I am a hairdresser and I get discounts to these things as well as having "connections" I should try to look for them. So I went out looking for them the other day, and found them at one of my supplier stores. I was all prepared to pay big bucks for these things (my limit was $40 for nail clippers). There was no price tag on them, so I brought them up to the counter and are you ready for this? They cost me, with tax, $1.42! Yep, I am the last of the big time spenders. So I bring them over to my mom's to show her and my brother and they both agreed that out of all the gifts he is getting this year, this will be his favorite! :lol: A $1.42! But that is the kind of person my dad is...he doesn't care what it cost, he will be thrilled to finally have a pair! Of course I did buy him some other stuff, but I know he is going to love these clippers!

So are there any gifts that you are excited to give someone?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have some gifts I am excited about giving to my daughter. She is a gymnast and Carly Patterson is her idol. I got her Carly's rookie card, a replica of the olympic leotard she wore- just in my daughters size, a framed Carly poster and 2 other Carly leotards. I know she is going to be super excited about all of it! I cant wait to see her face on Christmas day! :lol: Other than that, things I have gotten for everyone else arent that exciting. I knitted my son a Slytherin techno cozy for his gameboy that matches the slytherin scarf, so that is kinda exciting I guess.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I really enjoy the giving aspect of Christmas. I don't even care if I unwrap a single present (and I really mean that), because I just love the whole season of Christmas. Sometimes looking for presents can be wearing, but when the right idea grabs you it makes things so nice and exciting. I don't have many surprises for my daughters. This is the 3rd year that we've given them money and taken a shopping trip before Christmas. I've wrapped all the stuff we got in Houston, but they pretty much know everything except for some small things that I've picked up. I'm really excited about the gifts for my parents. My dad has had his eye on a SLR Digital camera that is very expensive. He's looked at it for 2 years. Since they are providing us with a place to live while we rebuild our home we got it for him this year. He'll be really surprised and will be excited. I think he'd have eventually bought it for himself, but my Mom is putting up resistance. To sort of equalize the gift for him we had to get her something nice, too. She sees my girls coming home with all their designer purses and always tells them that she'll take one when they get tired of it. So we got her a Gucci signature purse that is gorgeous. I just hope she'll like it since she is in her 70's. The girls and I made sure we like it, just in case she doesn't! LOL.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
while my family hasnt done the "gift thing" in over 20 years, except for an occasional single gift that someone couldn't pass up, since buttercup, i've started making gifts for my dog friends. or actually just the dogs, lol. i make custom dog treat boxes and fill them with whatever kind of unusual treats i can find (or on the rare occasion i get motivated...i'll make doggie cookies). the boxes are always customed to each dog, so they might say on the front (in lieu of a "brand name" logo), "Kody Kookies" or "Daisy Doodles", those are what my friend's newfs got last year (obviously they're named Kody and Daisy, LOL). when i started making these, i made them for co-workers' dogs, clients' dogs, and they'd sit on my counter at the bank and i had a customer who worked at the gift mart in atlanta actually order some from me!! i just love the look on someone's face when they see how "personal" these boxes are and they tell me how they KEEP the boxes long after the treats are gone
i also made one for my friend's dog who was very sick, but for her birthday, i made it "diamond's beauty box" in a very 50's style print and well, style. it had a dress, ribbons, etc in it. very fun! i just LOVE making gifts like these, and since i moved, i've lost my box source
i am making do with the boxes i have left. sad face!

blah. long winded. i'm off to the dog show here in cleveland. maltese showing at 2pm! cant wait!

ann marie and the "all treats in the above-mentioned boxes are all personally tested by----" buttercup

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This is a great thread! What a good idea!

Anyway, the gift I am excited about giving this year is my cookie bags. I have had such fun and great feedback that the hours and hours of aching back, feet and cleanup is more than returned in seeing the happy smiles and wide eyes of the recipients on my "Lucky Cookie Club" list.

I started this two years ago and now, starting in November, some of our suppliers and other people with whom I do business, start giving us "deals" and requesting only to be included on the LCC list! Imagine!
I have a friend and former co-worker/boss who is joining me this year and we will have 18 different cookies on our trays. Actually, she does trays but I package each variety in cellophane bags with Christmas labels naming the cookie. Then I put them in Christmas paper bags for delivery. We also do jazzed up nuts and highly decorated Christmas shaped butter cookies, which REALLY get the oohs and aahs. So many people just don't have time to bake EVERYTHING for Christmas so they really like getting something they can set out for co-workers, friends and family that is really home-made.

I am so looking forward to Monday, when I start my deliveries.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I was so excited to give my son a Thomas the trank engine toddler bed for christmas. so instead i gave it to him way early. He loves Thomas so much that on thanksgiving he was playing with these kids that are related to my step mother and he told them all that HIS name was Thomas. He's so silly. But I bought him all kinds of Thomas trains, books, etc. and i found this thomas bean bag chair and he found it last night and i told him it was for his cousin and he almost started crying

I was so excited to give my son a Thomas the trank engine toddler bed for christmas. so instead i gave it to him way early. He loves Thomas so much that on thanksgiving he was playing with these kids that are related to my step mother and he told them all that HIS name was Thomas. He's so silly. But I bought him all kinds of Thomas trains, books, etc. and i found this thomas bean bag chair and he found it last night and i told him it was for his cousin and he almost started crying
[/B]
thats tank not trank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts