Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! My friend is having a babyshower this weekend (same time as southern women's show
). Triste and Tlunn have given me GREAT ideas on what to get or what to think about getting my friend. My budget is about $50. Triste suggest to buy something that she will need RIGHT AWAY! Both of them suggested A bouncer and/or Boppy.

Any ideas or suggestions or things to think about? Triste made me scared of buying diapers and Baby wipes! LOL

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I have always thought that the Baby Moniters was a great gift. Seems like no one ever thinks to buy one for them selves and that would be in your price range.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@Mar 30 2005, 09:06 PM
I have always thought that the Baby Moniters was a great gift. Seems like no one ever thinks to buy one for them selves and that would be in your price range.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47680
[/QUOTE]
Baby Moniter? Like the walkie talkie thing? I don't know what that's called...

What about a blankie for the baby? Just an idea...

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
maybe if you join with one or two other people, you can buy the video baby monitor. OR one of those nanny cameras in stuffed teddy bears if they ever get a babysitter. those gadgets are awesome....i want one. :lol:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Mar 30 2005, 09:58 PM
maybe if you join with one or two other people, you can buy the video baby monitor.  OR one of those nanny cameras in stuffed teddy bears if they ever get a babysitter.  those gadgets are awesome....i want one.  :lol:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47699
[/QUOTE]
Hmm? You have a baby?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Did your friend register at Babiesrus or Target? I'd check there first if I were you to see what she wants and what others have already gotten her.

If not, I would recommend the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders bouncer. My little grandaughter was in it from the start and loved it. It vibrates and makes soothing water noises. She would fall alseep in it better than her crib or bassinette. Friends of my daughters with babies have raved about it also. My daughter says it was the #1 best gift she got!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...s=baby&n=549054

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Some other ideas...for Mom-to-be...a certificate for a pre-natal massage. A nice set of jammies (with easy access for breast feeding), a new robe and slippers.

For baby...clothes that are for an older baby...18 to 24 month sized. Everyone gets the teeny tiny clothes. Stick with basics that can be worn in most seasons. Things like cute tees, stretchy pants, jeans, or even a baby denim jacket. While it may not be practical for a newborn, a denim jacket for a baby is practical for any time of year. In summer it can be worn inside (how many times are places over air-conditioned) and in winter, it can be a layered item.

Another suggestion are items for the car... a splat mat for the seat that goes underneath the car seat. It prevents the juice box overflow from ruining the car's upholstery. Also car toys that can be easily transported in a mesh bag.

And probably the life saver for me...any of the "Kidz Bop" cd's. These are cd's of current songs performed by kids.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lady'sMom--She is registered at Target. But still, I don't know what to get her. Nothing is marked off and she has 3 pages of stuff (they print tiny too LOL).

SaltyMalty--I'm not going to get her baby clothes. Her sister had a daughter afew yrs ago and I bet she's taking all of her EXPENSIVE namebrand clothing! LOL Plus there's no baby clothes on the registry AT ALL.

Let me show you the bouncer she wants:

•  Provides soft cuddly support for neck, sides and head
•  Calming vibrations and 8 soothing songs
•  Deluxe velour blanket and soft plush toy attach with hook and loop
•  Machine-washable and dryer-safe seat pad
•  Nonskid feet
The plush padding of the Fisher-Price Baby Papasan seat contours to your baby's shape, providing soft cuddly support of the neck, sides and head. Luxurious fabrics and rich textures offer tactile variety for Baby while being comforted by calming vibrations and 8 soothing songs. Folds partially for portability or completely for storage and includes easy-carry handles. Deluxe velour blanket and soft plush toy attach with hook and loop and remove easily. Also features adjustable head support, a machine-washable and dryer-safe seat pad, and nonskid feet for added safety. Maximum weight: 25 lbs.[/B]
Here's the one that I like better because it has more features and you can use it up to 40 lbs.

•  Infant seat that converts into a toddler rocker
•  Sooths yourSooths your little one with calming vibrations or a parent can gently rock the seat
•  Seatback adjusts to an upright position for a toddler up to 40 lb.
•  Removable toy bar with 3 fun toys

As your child grows, this Fisher-Price infant seat converts into a toddler rocker. As an infant seat it soothes your little one with calming vibrations or a parent can gently rock the seat. As the child grows, the seatback adjusts to an upright position for a toddler up to 40 lb. Seat features toys that can be arranged to provide stimulation depending on your child's age. Includes toy bar with 3 removable toys.[/B]
I can see why she likes the first one--beause of the way it looks.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I would stick with the one she wants. She has selected that bouncer for a reason. You risk her having to take it back for exchange if she doesn't get the one she wants.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I agree. Stick with the items she's picked out even if you like something better! I do agree - that first bouncer looks boring. Maybe there is something else on the list you like better?

Remember to ask for a gift receipt, too, in case she gets duplicates.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
My mom and I always give gifts that can be used when the baby is a little older (9 months or older). Everyone seems to always give gifts for when the baby is small, so the parents get tons of newborn outfits but none for when the baby is older. That's way we always try to give stuff for later on. I went to a shower last fall for a baby expected in Dec. I gave an outfit that will fit this summer.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some of the things on her list:

$35 Boppy pillow..NOT the plain one. The "LUXE"

$30 Monitor (no camera)
$24 Genie Pail
$43 Breast Pump(yeah right, I'm not getting that! LOL)
$80 Bassinet (over my budget)
$50 Bouncer
$20 Grooming Kit

The rest is the usual blankies, bottles, socks, etc.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Mar 31 2005, 11:24 AM

$35 Boppy pillow..NOT the plain one.  The "LUXE" 

$30 Monitor (no camera)
$24 Genie Pail
$50 Bouncer
$20 Grooming Kit

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47794
[/QUOTE]

If $50 is your limit, maybe get her the Genie Pail and stuff it with blankies, bottles and socks... just a thought... (Okay fine, it's what I would do
)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Genie Pail and extra wrappers gets my vote. I loved that thing...otherwise you're running a diaper to the trash every 10 minutes.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Mar 31 2005, 11:24 AM

$35 Boppy pillow..NOT the plain one.  The "LUXE" 

$30 Monitor (no camera)
$24 Genie Pail
$50 Bouncer
$20 Grooming Kit

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47794
[/QUOTE]

Did she actually sign up for the Diaper Genie? That was the original one, I think, but the newer Diaper Champ gets much better reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...s=baby&n=542422

That's the one I got my daughter (I was a one woman baby shower if you haven't already guessed!)

Another idea if you have mutual friends is to go in with a couple of them and get her one of her high ticket items, like a stroller or that bassinet.

I also put together a little home health kit. I got everything from gas relief drops and infant Tylenol to Waterbabies suntan lotion and even picked up an inexpensive (about $15) vaporizer from Walmart. I wanted to make sure she had everything on hand when Sarah needed her nose "sucked out" or had a diaper rash. Here's a basic list:

Filling the kit
Here are the 25 must-haves:

• Infant / child thermometers (both digital and ear or rectal)

• Children's and infants' non-aspirin liquid pain reliever (acetaminophen), as recommended by your pediatrician

• Topical calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream (1/2 percent) for insect bites and rashes

• Rubbing alcohol to clean thermometers, tweezers, and scissors

• Petroleum jelly to lubricate rectal thermometers

• Hydrogen peroxide to clean cuts and scrapes

• Antibacterial cream, also for cuts and for scrapes

• Tweezers for splinters and ticks

• A pair of sharp scissors

• Child-safe sunscreen lotion (click here for details on baby sun safety and sunscreen guidelines)

• Child-safe insect repellent

• Pediatrician-approved children's-strength liquid decongestant

• Nasal aspirator bulb (not the pointy ended ear syringe)

• An assortment of adhesive bandage strips in various sizes and shapes. (Since there are children in the house, get the less sticky kind.)

• Gauze rolls (1/2 to 2 inches wide)

• Gauze pads (2x2 and 4x4 inches)

• Adhesive tape

• Sterilized cotton balls

• Cotton-tipped swabs

• Mild liquid soap (most antibacterial and deodorant soaps are too strong for babies' sensitive skin)

• An oral syringe or calibrated cup or spoon for administering medicines to infants and children

• A package of tongue depressors to check sore throats

• A heating pad

• A hot-water bottle and ice pack

• A small flashlight to check ears, nose, throat, and eyes

• First-Aid manual. Janet Zand's Parent's Guide to Medical Emergencies gives advice for handling a wide range of emergencies.

Additional item to include only if recommended by your pediatrician:

• Rehydration fluids, such as Pedialyte, to treat infant diarrhea.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok ya'll. I originally walked into Target with the intentions of getting the bouncer. But, then I got to thinking, "Gosh, it really sucks all over the place to buy something that they can only use for 3 months (that's what the reviews said)." And plus her hubby is over 6 ft tall so I wonder if they could even use it for that long(assuming that their baby will grow fast). So I got the Bopper and this diaper organizer thingy. I felt like I made a good choice.

<span style="color:green">THANKS FOR ALL YOUR IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS!
</span>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts