Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GiGi is one of my Malts. She is the most well behaved out of my three girls so she gets to hangout unsupervised a little more. She always goes to the potty in the right place and she doesn't get in to too much. She barks here and there but as long as she can see me or know which direction I went in, she's just fine.

Well the problem is that my husband doesn't really LIKE the dogs but more so tolerates them (except for Mia, the yorkie). He didn't like it that GiGi was allowed to stay in the kitchen 24/7. He said a kitchen was no place for a dog and that the baby gate at the doorway was a pain (trust me, he's never really home for it to bother him). The final straw was when GiGi decided to destory something. The corner of the wall in the kitchen. I didn't see it as a big deal. She's still a puppy and compared to some of the other things she could have done, this was minor (meaning, it could be fixed). Well after that he decided to go out and buy her a crate and put her with the other two girls at bedtime. Well, that's been pure he** all week. GiGi barks all night long and its so loud you can't ignore it. I know she's mad and that's why she's doing it, but I don't know how to get her to stop. The other two have always been crated at night as they are still working on their potty training stage but GiGi is very well mannered and has even slept in our room before w/out messing up a thing. The wall was just a mistake and she hasn't gone back to it since.

Any suggestions on how to help her transition?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
What size crate would your husband fit in?

I think its going to take small steps. Maybe a few minutes at a time and gradually increasing the time. I think if shes already hating that crate now, its even going to be harder. I read that you can tie their favorite treat to the back of the crate to get them to go in (door open) by themselves and eventually start shutting the door.

I am not an expert though. I know alot of people here will offer good advice

I just wanted to say good luck!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Try feeding her in the crate. Place her dish at the back of the crate. Also try tossing treats into the crate so that she has to go into it to get her treats. You can also make a game of tossing her favorite toy into the crate so that she has to go in and get it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@May 3 2005, 12:17 PM
Try feeding her in the crate.  Place her dish at the back of the crate.  Also try tossing treats into the crate so that she has to go into it to get her treats.  You can also make a game of tossing her favorite toy into the crate so that she has to go in and get it.<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59254
[/QUOTE]

I can get her to go in. Its just after she's in, look out. GiGi is very demanding but in a smart way. If she wants more food in her dish, she'll bark until you give it to her. The way that I know she wants something is she will ignore her "quiet" command. Any other time, if I say "quiet", she'll do it. But if she wants you to do something, in this case to come and get her, she will not stop.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Me, too. I feel so sorry for Gigi. I think animals know when someone doesn't like them....
[/B]

That's so true. When my husband comes home, the other two go running but GiGi starts to bark and move away. I know he'd never harm them just because when something is wrong with one of them, he's very concerned. But agree, I think she can sense his feelings.

Aren't dogs wonderful! I think I'll buy my daughter one of her own when she gets of dating age to help weed out the idiots!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by gigimom@May 3 2005, 12:29 PM
Me, too. I feel so sorry for Gigi. I think animals know when someone doesn't like them....

That's so true. When my husband comes home, the other two go running but GiGi starts to bark and move away. I know he'd never harm them just because when something is wrong with one of them, he's very concerned. But agree, I think she can sense his feelings.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59265
[/B][/QUOTE]
Awww, that's sad- poor baby!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Oh, dear. You mentioned in another post that the two Maltese "forget" their housebreaking when they are around the unhousebroken Yorkie. Do you think the stress of having 3 puppies in the house at once is getting to your husband? Was getting so many puppies so close in age a mutual family decision that he was in favor of?

Puppies don't come housebroken, destroy things and do all sorts of puppy things. That is to be expected. Triple that and you may have a situation that your husband just finds intolerable. Dogs (and cats, too) can become a real bone of contention (pun intended!) in a marriage if a husband and wife have different ideas of how they should be treated.

He isn't insisting that Gigi be crated more during the day, too, is he? Many dogs are crated at night and accept it as their own bedroom, but I hate to see them crated a lot during the day, too. My Lady spent most of her first 4 years crated before I adopted her and it breaks my heart to think about it.

Do you think he's just angry and will calm down?

·
Registered
994 Posts
yeah i mean its very hard one when one party doesnt get into this furbaby world
my friend is going through that with her live in boyfriend who she recently once again threw out of the house and its al over her dog she will pick her dog over him
as for your situation how were you able to get 3 furbabys if your husband isnt into it, its hard to change a routine so i hope she isnt miserable
maxi and i wish you good luck!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by gigimom+May 3 2005, 12:24 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@May 3 2005, 12:17 PM
Try feeding her in the crate.  Place her dish at the back of the crate.  Also try tossing treats into the crate so that she has to go into it to get her treats.  You can also make a game of tossing her favorite toy into the crate so that she has to go in and get it.<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59254

I can get her to go in. Its just after she's in, look out. GiGi is very demanding but in a smart way. If she wants more food in her dish, she'll bark until you give it to her. The way that I know she wants something is she will ignore her "quiet" command. Any other time, if I say "quiet", she'll do it. But if she wants you to do something, in this case to come and get her, she will not stop.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59262
[/B][/QUOTE]
Have you tried throwing a sheet or towel over the crate? Lexi likes her crate to be dark (more den like).

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I don't think your husband minds the dogs or they would not be in the home at all.
I think he just want them to be proper behaved and not get into messes. That really hard for puppies. My dad likes dogs just not in the home. I would never think of bring the chelsey and chester with me to his home. He would have a fit and just put them outside.
Our in laws are great, so long as they don't mess in their home they are fine.. I mean on the rug that happens to be the same green as grass.
and it has been three years no issue. They even watched them for us for a week.

What we did was to move chester ot our room when we slept so he would not bark then we moved him back in the kitchen slowly week by week,

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by LadysMom@May 3 2005, 12:46 PM
Oh, dear.  You mentioned in another post that the two Maltese "forget" their housebreaking when they are around the unhousebroken Yorkie. Do you think the stress of having 3 puppies in the house at once is getting to your husband? Was getting so many puppies so close in age a mutual family decision that he was in favor of?

Yes, they do forget their housebreaking rules IF they are left together without my supervision but this isn't a true issue with him. I am very diligent about cleaning up behind them so he's never complained about that. I wouldn't call his comment a result of "stress". What happened was when we agreed to get the two Malts (yorkie was already there), it was never a part of the deal that the kitchen would be their 24/7 home. This was just something that happened along the way. He doesn't hate the dogs by any means. He's just not a dog person. And yes, we made a mutual decision to bring the girls home. Granted it was something for me but it was also something he could live with to give me what I wanted.

Puppies don't come housebroken, destroy things and do all sorts of puppy things. That is to be expected. Triple that and you may have a situation that your husband just finds intolerable. Dogs (and cats, too) can become a real bone of contention (pun intended!) in a marriage if a husband and wife have different ideas of how they should be treated.

I never said that either one of us thought that they did. We were well aware of the long road to maturity that we'd have to take with the girls through their puppy stages. And yes, I'm sure in some relationships family pets can cause issues between a husband and wife but that's due to a break down in communication. My husband and I are very good with compromising with one another. In this case, yes, GiGi can't use the kitchen as her 24/7 home but she can still have her playpen in my room and we are buying another one for the kitchen/dinningroom area for those times when they are up a little later than usual or whenever. There. A compromise.

He isn't insisting that Gigi be crated more during the day, too, is he? Many dogs are crated at night and accept it as their own bedroom, but I hate to see them crated a lot during the day, too. My Lady spent most of her first 4 years crated before I adopted her and it breaks my heart to think about it.

No, he never said they had to stay in their crates and never come out. As soon as I get up in the morning (4am) they are let out to eat, potty and play. They are returned to their crates before I leave for work until I get home (still just b/c they don't behave when left out together). Then when I get home in the afternoon (3:00pm) they are let back out to potty, eat and play with mommy until bedtime. And yes, he's perfectly fine with this. Wow, I guess i need to go back and see how I posted this. I never meant to make him sound like a tyrant. Dogs just aren't his cup of tea...lets say it that way.

Do you think he's just angry and will calm down?<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59270
[/QUOTE]

He's not fussing to the point that he wants the girls gone. He just didn't want the kitchen to be used as her "home". Now that she's out of the kitchen 24/7, he's fine. But again, my purpose of posting this question was to find out how to help her get used to a crate when she's been used to being in a large open space 24/7.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Chelsey@May 3 2005, 01:40 PM
I don't think your husband minds the dogs or they would not be in the home at all.
I think he just want them to be proper behaved and not get into messes.  That really hard for puppies.  My dad likes dogs just not in the home.  I would never think of bring the chelsey and chester with me to his home.  He would have a fit and  just put them outside.
Our in laws are great,  so long as they don't mess in their home they are fine..  I mean on the rug that happens to be the same green as grass. 
  and it has been three years no issue.  They even watched them for us for a week.

What we did was to move chester ot our room when we slept so he would not bark then we moved him back in the kitchen slowly week by week,
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59294
[/QUOTE]

Ah, you understood exactly what I was trying to say. He doesn't hate them, but he's no dog lover either. But you're right, the fact that he agreed to let three come into the house shows that he doesn't hate them. He just doesn't want to be effected by their being there (I guess that's a better way to say it). Having to step over a baby gate to get into the kitchen "bothered him" I guess. Then with her chewing the wall, that just helped his case. He really wasn't all that mad about it (not like I thought he'd be any way).

its easier when its your love. You're able to overlook the small set backs or mistakes. When it falls on someone elses shoulders who isn't as "in love" with the situation as you are, it takes a little more to turn the other cheek.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
If you are home in the day with them... try training ,play with puppy's so they will be less energetic and quiet at night . They will be little anges when he comes home .
We have a yorkie as well. Spend lots of time with her and treats..., treats treats.

It will take a while for her to get used to sleeping in there and ear plugs

she will get used to it in time... try to set it up with treats , toys you can leave one of your t-shirst in there as well for her to snuggle with at night.

One more suggestion ,does she get along with one of the other puppies well?
Maybe they can sleep together. For the first few weeks chester and chelsey slept in the pay pen together and chelsey did not make a peep. She just wanted company

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
what about getting one of those pens instead? The big circle ones. You said he didnt like going over the gate, do you have room for a pen that he wouldnt have to go in? Or, of course, you could put him in there instead and he would have more room than a crate

Maybe the limited space is too much all at once and the pen will work. I hope so! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by gigimom@May 3 2005, 03:19 PM
He just doesn't want to be effected by their being there (I guess that's a better way to say it). Having to step over a baby gate to get into the kitchen "bothered him" I guess.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59316
[/QUOTE]

I LOVE dogs but I HATE baby gates so I can understand your husband on that issue, for sure. If you want to use baby gates there is one at Target that FannyMay got that is really nice and you don't have to step over it. Here is FannyMay's thread where she tells us about the new gate:

Baby Gate Thread

Also, I had two doors in my house made in to "Dutch" doors so I can contain K & C and not have the baby gate issue. Here is the one in my bedroom that I posted once before:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i cant keep my mouth shut!

i dont like your husband because he should treat the dogs like they're his babies. you guys are a couple....the dogs are your children!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts