Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hi. I miss the forum and I see that there is a lot of new members. We are getting huge :D

okay, so last time I posted I was on my way to New Orleans to help with the animal rescue, we were there for about a 7days in the city of New Orleans and it was really traggic, sad, overwelming, frustrating, etc, etc. So many animals roaming the city, hungry, afraid, and so many dead animals too
so many loyal dogs waiting for their people to return. This was an adventure I will always remember and I learn so much from so many caring people. Just being out there helping made a big impact in my life. I loved it.

So we got back, and the pleas for volunteers was still neede so I packed again and flew to New Orleans for another 7 days, this time I was sent to Saint Bernard Parish, where it was a gost town, this parish was hit really bad and still alot of dogs and cats living on the streets. This time I mostly set up station for food and water and answer calls to rescue animals trapped in homes.

When I left the second time, hubby stayed home to take care of the girls and work( someone had to work, right
) so he calls me one day to tell me he has rescue 2 beautiful chihuahuas. the home where they lived for 4 1/2 yrs, the husband did not wanted them any more and he took them to the animal shelter, at the animalshelter the little chi (her name is Daisy) bit one of the volunteers there and the shelter gave them the death penalty automatically. The mom, who loved her chi's found out her girls where at the AS and went to see them. she found them hidden from where people could see them so she ask and she was told they were going to be euthinized, Needless to say, she got them out of theere and put a sign at a deli shop for someone to rescue them. And that's where hubby came in and with out questions took them (got to love this guy
)
Apparently, the chi's bit the volunteer becuse she was really afraid. but they are the most loving, QUITE, little dogs ever, ther are ajoy to have. They DONT BARk, unbelievable!!! they sit and stay quite and calm all day. Now I'm in the process find a home for them, they are not spay, so I will get them fixed before they live our home, which is going to be really hard I already feel it.

They get along well with the girls, Maya loves the little one, Daisy, she loves to kiss little Daisy. Big Daezie interacts very minimum witht the chi's, Daezie gets really jealous when I show them affection. Luna is great with them too.

Glad to be back, and welcome to all new members :D

Here is a picture of the chi's: THe black one is Julie and Daisy

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Kenya, thank you for the wonderful update on everything that has been happening in your life. What a difference you have made in the lives of so many homeless animals in the past few months!

So many people talk about doing something, but you really stepped up and did it!

P

·
0 Posts
So glad you let us know what is going on! I thought of you several times. Hopefully when you have a chance, you could tell us some heartwarming stories that you witnessed in New Orleans!! Thank you for all the help that you gave those poor babies!! Daisy & Julie are precious!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
How cool is your husband to bring on two more babies without even a nudge! Thats awesome! And what you were able to do is wonderful too. My dad just called me from New Orleans. I am so proud of him. Hes retired and went with a church group to help with the cleanup (hes excited about taking his chainsaw). He said they have such a good group of talent that they could actually help rebuilding but they just cant get the supplies, roofing, drywall, etc.... Just listening to him tell what he is seeing just blows my mind. I'm so glad there are people like you and him that are willing\able to volunteer your time and help everyone, especially those helpless animals
welcome back!

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts
Originally posted by poochiesmom@Nov 15 2005, 05:01 PM
So glad you let us know what is going on! I thought of you several times. Hopefully when you have a chance, you could tell us some heartwarming stories that you witnessed in New Orleans!! Thank you for all the help that you gave those poor babies!!  Daisy & Julie are precious!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119923
[/QUOTE]
I am glad you are back.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your kind words and warm welcome

Most of the rescue cases I did were with dogs that were left behind by their owners thinking they would be back soon for their pets and some just didnt care for their welfare.

This one pitbull mix was at this house in the back yard for about two months waiting for his people to come back, when I ask the neighboor about the owners of the house she toldme they had left one week before the storm hit and they told her they werent coming back and the poor dog in the back waiting, he was skinny, dirty, hungry until we found him and took him with us. All the animals we took in were sent to Mississipi to Best Friends stagin are, for vet ck, picture taken and so thier info would be enter into petfinder.org to be found by their owner or make available for adoption and so the animals could be transfer to animal shelters around the country.

Then there was this dog "Chico" who's onwer who come back and found the dog alive waiting outside their home. He was really happy to see his family. the dog had survive the flooding. the owner though the dog would be dead, they were very surprise to see him alive. We were pasing by their home when they stop us to ask us to take their dog becuse they could take and besides, the dog was dirty, full of germs, since he had been in the water this whole time. I got really angry call dispath to get the okay to take dog got the okay and when it was time for the chico to say goodbye the man didnt even wante to touch Chico. no body in that family want to pet him goodbye. We got Chico in the car and took off and I started to cry. how could this people do this to this faithfull dog. why is ther people like this in the world. The same day at night I heard a volunteer talking about a chow mix named "chico" we confirm that it was the same dog. She really like him, she fell inlove with him. I told her his story and she said she was going to foster him. I hope he had a good end to his adventure. he was about 8 and the owner had him since he was a pup. "what goes around comes around"

It makes me feel good that at least we help those poor animals and got them out of the hands of people who didnt deserve their loyalty. I hope they found a good, loving home.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the update and the wonderful work you have been doing in rescue and disaster relief.
I'm glad you saved those cute little chis.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Wow you are to be commended for your kind heart and goodness to these poor animals. You are a very special person with a very kind heart.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I want to thank you and also thank Holliberry's dad for the help that you have given to the people in the Gulf States. You can not possibly know how much we appreciate those angels who have come to help us. I am 48 years old and I have NEVER in my life seen the kind of help that is coming to this area. It is real, honest to goodness help and it is making a huge difference. Soon, when I can put my thoughts into words I will describe for you the recovery effort and how the people are doing. Believe me when I say that it is not just the Fema money and the Red Cross money - it is the people - people who come week after week from all over the country to do real work. And yes, we are getting lots of help, but it will be needed for such a long time to come. I am accustomed to writing a check when someone has a need. I have learned a lot about what people really need in times of disaster. The money is so important, but the human interaction and caring is more important than anything.

Susan

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I honestly agree... i dunno how people can be so cold hearted to their pets... -_-

I am very greatful that we have people like you able to go and help these poor helpless animals out. I wish i could too but I am not able to go at this time... but if i was I would go. I might come home with a few dogs!! haha..

Thank you for everything you have done! It warms my heart.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
People going tru times like that do appreciate all the human help posssible. it lifts their spirits to know other people care.

Many people there were really appreciative of us helping the animals.

Holly, your dad is a gret person for helping to rebuild the city that is completly damage.

thanks everyone :D

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Kenya,

Thanks so much for all your heartfelt help in a time of such heartache. All those souls waiting were I am sure helped by your kindness...a warm touch for those who have felt such emptyness waiting for those who either had to leave them or choose to.

You truly are an angel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts