Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glass bowls are just as sanitary as stainless steel bowls, right?

I was wanting to get about 10 glass bowls (I like simple, plain bowls that don't scream "I have pets!!!") from human dinnerware to use for the dogs' food & water, that I can just toss in the dishwasher daily with our other dishes. I don't really like the "look" of stainless steel dishes...so using human glass bowls will be okay, right? Or even human ceramic bowls?

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
I feed Sassy from glass (and crystal) and the dishes go into the dishwasher after every meal. We have never had any problems.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I switch up the animal bowls for all the holidays. I get cute ceramic ones at the Christmas Tree stores.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glass is good. Anchor and Pyrex are made in the USA.
Yay! Thanks! I just want something that is easy to toss into the dishwasher to make sure they get washed daily. I sometimes forget to wash their water bowls daily and will remember every couple of days so if I have a BUNCH on hand, it will be easy to remember to swap them out. :) :chili:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I switch up the animal bowls for all the holidays. I get cute ceramic ones at the Christmas Tree stores.
London & Preston's grandparents bought them adorable ceramic bowls...but they are inconvenient (at least I think so!) to clean. One is pink and says, "The Princess Eats Here", and the other is blue and says, "It's Good to be King!". :wub:

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I have a glass bowl outside for Macie to drink out of, much easier than plastic.

Delilah has various ceramic bowls, as I use 2-3 per day for her. I had a bunch of those small white ones that you get at restraunts and they are perfect for putting in a small amount of wet food and popping in the microwave.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Toby eats out of Corelle bowls. I got a bunch of them at Wally World for $4. When he is done, I just put it in the dishwasher. I don't really know what Corelle is made out of, but they sure are tough!

I also store his food in the fridge in a glass Pyrex bowl. LOVE IT! I love that Pyrex is one of the only companies to make a glass container with a lid. I HATE plastic (Tupperware). I always feel that the plastic holds the smell in. <BARF!>

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
don't use plastic for food or for water. Ceramic is fine if the paint or glaze used on them is lead free. I don't care for the stainless steel.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I totally agree with you Janine! I used to feed out of stainless steel and now feed out of lead free ceramic. It is so much prettier and whimsical too imo.
V
I currently feed out of ceramic, but I just feel like it's still not as sanitary as glass for some reason. I'm sure it's just me being weird. lol Plus, having to make sure the paint is lead-free is a hassle since so many things are made out of the country, etc, or don't have proper information listed on the product.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I threw out all my plastic containers and now use glass storage bowls from Anchor or Pyrex, and Mason Jars to store everything. They take up space, but everything feels much cleaner and toxin-free.

·
Registered
707 Posts
OMG! That's a great idea. I have a Christmas Tree store 1/2 mile from home. I'm definately going to see what I can find. If they're sold lose and not in a box how can I tell if the paint is lead-free?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts