Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cody came down with Glaucoma from having Cataracts. My vet has him on pressure drops. But sometimes his eye lens luxated. Has anyone experienced this with their Maltese baby? I can still see him in pain even with the drops? His other eye has perfect pressure. I hear it’s very painful. Any suggestions? I did hear about laser surgery and removal of the eye . However these are not options because of his situation and he also is getting to be an old man which is not recommended for anesthesia. Feel terrible to see him in pain.

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
I don't think she's on here much anymore but another long-time SM mom just had the eye removed on her baby. Drops helped some but they had to make a decision between risky surgery and quality of life, so they chose the surgery. She came through fine and is doing great!

I recommend seeing a veterinary ophthalmologist if you haven't yet done so to weigh the options. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
How did you know there was an issue to see the ophthalmologist for his diagnosis?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cody’s Eyes we’re super bloodshot red. He has cataracts so it’s from that. Also he was rubbing his eye and the top lid at one point looked wrinkled and Swollen all at once. Prior to that his eyes were bloodshot and my vet said he had lens luxated. That’s was the signal. But I am soooo upset because I could do Everything and anything to treat him but Cody will NOT LET me give him his drops.. it’s awful. I am awful and he’s awful…. I was just wondering if anyone knew if maybe a spray eye bottle for dogs ? To put the eye drops in that instead of using the eyeball medication. It’s really upsetting to me. I have put him in a carrier snuggled up I try to give it to him when he’s just about sleeping but he is now aware and toooo smart for me!!! Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks so much! Hope your babies are doing okay too!!!

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
how to get eye drops in dog
The secret seems to be coming up from the bottom of the eye instead of the top so they do not see it coming. . . . but that may just be wishful thinking !;)

Reactions: Coster

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou!! I will certainly try! I guess this little guy must have alittle sight left! Right!

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
Let us know if it works! Kitzi has refused some of his heart meds for a couple of weeks now & gone off the food I had transitioned them both to---I have had to put peanut butter on the meds to get him to take them. I am sure he smells it in the covering I have used successfully until now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts