Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If something should happen to you, where would your furball go?
Have you thought about it?

My husband and I have a couple that are dear to us. I asked her last month if she would take Puddles and love him as I do (while she was holding him) if something should happen to us. They have no children, but 2 cats that are at taken well care as Puddles is. Her fast reply was sure we would! But only one problem would be my sisters would want him, they love him a lot but they have hard times with money. Would they be able to afford the vet bills? Would they spend time with him? Would they be able to understand his needs?

I informed my sister that Janice (friend) is to take Puddles should something happen to me. She was kinda disappointed and I then felt bad about my decision. But I want to do what's best for Puddles and my friend would be best.

Should papers be typed up and given to my friend? Or am I going over board with this?

Protected mommy !! (can't help it, love him so much)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Hmm, I would say put her in whomever's care you think will treat her the best. If money is an issue, I am pretty sure you can set up funds for someone in care of your pet! It might just be in some states, but supposedly you cannot leave money to the pet itself. That might be an idea for you. Its definately something you should be thinking about. You're not going overboard!

Now you have me thinking about the same thing...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thats not a bad ideal, never thought about it.
Maybe I can find some info on the web (trust fund for Mr. Puddles).

You know, our babies, not just some dog that needs to be put outside. They are our children !!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
It would have to be my parents. They wouldn't have it any other way!! I have never really thought about this subject, but my family would be my only choice because they love Peanut just as much as I do and I know that his wellbeing would be their top priority.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I haven't really thought about it since John and I are so young. I figure I won't need to think about it either. I really don't know who would take her if something happened to both of us at the same time. We really don't have many friends that could take her and my family lives 12 hours away in NC. I wouldn't want my parents to have her anyway since she hates their poodle and they travel alot and board him sometimes. I wouldn't want her boarded. My brother in NC couldn't take her because they have two babies and they don't have the finances to take care of her health issues when she gets older. I wouldn't let John's parents take her because they have two pit bulls and even if they didn't I wouldn't give her to them. They treat their dogs like dogs not children. My parents treat their poodle like a dog too. Most of our family thinks we are crazy for the way we treat Fantasia. John's sisters couldn't take her either because they also have children and not enough money. I think she would end up going to a shelter or the small dogs rescue in our area. I can only think of one friend that might consider taking her and she already has two yorkies of her own. My friends would know that I wouldn't want her in a shelter so they would do what they could to find her a family in our church.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My husband and I have already discussed this--even though we are still young and far from retirement or old age, one never knows what could happen.

Our furbabies adore our 18 year old son who is wonderful with them, but if something happened to us I wouldn't want to burden him with their care. Unless, of course, he felt a strong need to keep them in his life. He is very responsible and would treat them as they are accustomed.

My sister is a wonderful furbaby parent--she does Daschund rescue and any animal in her home is a lucky one indeed. They would enjoy the same care from her that they get with us.

My husband's parents are also wonderful and would give our furbabies a very loving home--the only downside there is that our boisterous nephews visit almost daily and might be rough on them.

I suppose we need to rewrite our wills to include a clause for the care of our babies.

Of course, I hope that we both live a very long life and enjoy full lifetimes with these babies and more.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have in my will that Lacey and Spoozie (my cat) go to my hubby. If they can't go to him they go to my son. I also have a life insurance policy that my husband will get for the care of my babies. If they go to my son he gets the money. I have it in my will about the life insurance and what my wishes are for the money. You cannot leave money to a pet in Ohio, but I have suggested in my will what the money should be used for. It is an amount that should cover all cost and emergencies if something should happen. My son is only 20 and he loves both of them very much but at his age he doesn't have the money to take care of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts