Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am concern when taking Puddles out to potty in the cold. It's going to be 19 degrees tonight with wind chill @ 10 or less and I'm not sure he should go out side. Since its gotten cold, I would bring him in the house as soon as finished.

Today, he would stand, look out the window and bark (not the potty bark). We put on his heavy sweater and a coat over that and headed out side. I found a nice spot where the wind could not hit us and he played for about 30 mins. I felt bad when we came in, his feet were cold.

What is a safe temp that Maltese can handle in the winter outside? I don't mean for a long period at a time, like when going to potty. Will I be safe to stay out a few mins after he's done his business and let him sniff around?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've heard that it's not good for them to be out in this type of weather, due to the cold and also beacause people are putting down salt which can cause possible irritation of the fee burning and such, does the baby have boots. I think most pet owners are opting for the puppy pads on a day like to day.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
One of my dogs doesn't use potty pads at all, under any circumstances so she has to go out even in the worst weather. I think you are smart to find a protected area so the wind isn't so bad, but I would probably let Puddles do his potty and then go right on in. Maybe you could play extra hard in the house - throwing a ball, or playing chase, or something.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had thought about getting some boots, don't really think he will wear them. Wish I could find a cheap set to try.

I guess the ole rule should stand, to cold for me, to cold for him.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
My dogs have always gone outside year-round. I think it is important that they get outside for a few minutes at least. Mikey goes out without a coat at all because he loves the cold. I don't think it is ever too cold for him. Put a coat on them and off you go. If they want to go in, limit it to only a short time outside.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi doesn't seem to mind the cold. At first I put a coat on her when ever we went out but I forgot a couple of times I've forgotten too and she didn't seem to mind at all.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sylphide loves the snow and cold. Most of all, she loves her walks! It's been very cold here in upstate NY. The only day it was really too cold for her she was shivering despite her coat so I brought her right back in. When it's ultra cold they only get to go out for a few minutes.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I think it depends on the dog.. Most dogs will be able to handle it. Our last dog went outside all the time.. but kodie doesnt. Hes trained inside. He's just too delicate. The vet also told me to keep him inside. If I did have a Maltese that wasnt delicate like Kodie... I would probably buy booties (kodie has those for walks too) and just put a sweater or coat on my baby when i take them outside.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Chelsey our malt loves the snow . Chester our yorkie is not to thriled about it.
Chelsey would stay out until she is frozen. So we have to really keep an eye on her.
We got a lot of snow over the weekend our back yard is full of snow.. chelsey went down the stairs and right in it up to her neck.

I was so socked... chester just stood at the top of the stairs stairing at her like she was nuts. I'm sure everyone heard me calling her.

she just kept tuging around the deck.. I mean tuging as she could not walk the snow was so high. Since I could not catch her i desided to go back up the stairs and she quickly followed thank goodness .

We put her boots, sweater and nylon water poof jaket over her sweater as she collects lots of snow on her . The news said in cold conditions not to leave them out for more then 3 min.
last week we had a winchil of -30 so it was cold. I let them out log enough to go bathroom and they are back inside.

We only walk them outside in winter, if it is a warm day. Depeding on weather... they may stay outside in the backyard longer...but not when it cold.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady actually tolerates the cold better than the heat. She has a nylon jacket with a sherpa lining that she wears when it's cold and she does fine. I'm the one who hates it!

She came to me outdoor trained and although I've been able to train her to to use a pee pad if necessary, she is still outdoor trained. We were out Sunday morning at 5:30 am in all that wind (diabetics have to eat and get shots on a strict 12 hour schedule so no sleeping in!) and I fantasized about her being totally pee pad trained......!

Mentally she seems to like to be able to go outside though. She loves to sniff and explore and loves her walks which really helps with her arthritis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts