Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Wish me good luck! please!

I just book my flight to go New Orleans to help with animal rescue in Gonzales.
I been reading so much about the rescue efforst in the disaster areas and they beg for volunteers to help them with feeding, walking, bathing, going out to house and looking for animals that might be still alive. I know is going to be very sad to see so much animal suffering but this is something that me heart is very happy about.
It just made sense for me to do this. I have vacation time accumulated at work and the flight wasn't too expensive so I kept telling my self what's stoping me. I dont have children and hubby is not tooo thrilled but he understands somewhat.

I'll leave on 10/4 for about 6 days. Hubby will stay to take care of the girls.
I will miss my babies so much
but it will be well worth it.
 
G

·
Wow I certainly do wish you good luck! I am very happy for you. It's great what you are doing!
I can't wait to hear the stories you'll have when you get back and hopefully alot with happy endings. Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Sep 26 2005, 07:36 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-maltlover
@Sep 26 2005, 07:06 PM
I wish u all the luck in the world but i just came upon this.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/pet/99552245.html
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103656
OMG!!! IF this is true, I will send it in the HSUS envelope the next time they send me a request for a donation.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103718
[/B][/QUOTE]


:eek: OMG! My stomach is JUST SICK!
SICK!
That was an utterly awful account!
I hope to goodness it is not true...but something tells me that he honesty and details in it sound too real. -_- I wish someone had video/picture proof for the media to go with that story. AWFUL!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Sep 26 2005, 08:52 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 26 2005, 07:36 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-maltlover
@Sep 26 2005, 07:06 PM
I wish u all the luck in the world but i just came upon this.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/pet/99552245.html
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103656


OMG!!! IF this is true, I will send it in the HSUS envelope the next time they send me a request for a donation.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103718

[/QUOTE]


:eek: OMG! My stomach is JUST SICK!
SICK!
That was an utterly awful account!
I hope to goodness it is not true...but something tells me that he honesty and details in it sound too real. -_- I wish someone had video/picture proof for the media to go with that story. AWFUL!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103735
[/B][/QUOTE]

I just now emailed it to the HSUS, New York Times, and the Associated Press (AP).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Sep 26 2005, 08:27 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 26 2005, 07:36 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-maltlover
@Sep 26 2005, 07:06 PM
I wish u all the luck in the world but i just came upon this.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/pet/99552245.html
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103656


OMG!!! IF this is true, I will send it in the HSUS envelope the next time they send me a request for a donation.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103718



:eek: OMG! My stomach is JUST SICK!
SICK!
That was an utterly awful account!
I hope to goodness it is not true...but something tells me that he honesty and details in it sound too real. -_- I wish someone had video/picture proof for the media to go with that story. AWFUL!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103735
I just now emailed it to the HSUS, New York Times, and the Associated Press (AP).

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103753
[/B][/QUOTE]

Good for you!

The HSUS will deny it even if it is true. -_-
They won't let something like that get out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
I congratulate you on your devotion to helping the animals of Katrina. I wish you well on your trip. Hopefully, you are in touch with the group you will be working with, and all will go well. Unfortunately, I am getting many negative accounts on my rescue group lists of what is going on with some of the big name groups. I will post the most recent, which came from a well respected rescue group.
When you get to the area, hopefully, you can give us a first hand account, and put some of the rumors to rest.
Again, good luck and stay safe.


SOURCE: http://www.ericsdogblog.com/

Monday, September 26, 2005

Monday Update


Hard to understand what HSUS is doing. Some of their actions do not support
what they say their mission is - which is to be here for the long term.
Previously I said go to Gonzales. But at this point just call me until I get
clarification on whether or not they will accept volunteers: 443.421.0000.


Unlike almost any other group, we worked right up until Rita came at us full
force. We got in almost a full day of work - working up until 6pm with very
little rain and wind. We actually had a great day that day and put in almost
nine hours. It wasn’t that difficult to talk to the police dept and other
officials to find out when we should get out. We were all safe and secure. Went to
Gonzales to try to sleep there. They now have a password to get in. A girl at
the shell station gave it to us so we could get into the gate. We were quickly
told that we couldn’t stay in Gonzales and what came along with those
statements was despicable behavior; we were told we would be arrested if we rescued
another animal. And some lady, like a rabid animal, was ripping animal rescues
signs from our cars in 70 miles wind. I had one little dog whose owner I had
located. They were trying to take that dog. There was no way I was giving that
dog to the flawed tracking system that they have put together. These people have
made enemies out of the hundreds people who put their lives on hold and spent
thousands of their own money to help reunite pets with their owners and save
other lost animals.

Here’s a fact, I have tried desperately to follow HSUS directions to a tee -
to be official with their rules. The rules change every day; so in the end, it’
s almost impossible to be a rescuer with HSUS. Jane Garrison, a person of
good intellect, responsible, street savvy who uses common sense, is the only
person that I have run across that will help you. But in many cases, her hands
have been tied. I can see it.

I sent 4 volunteers to go to the 6 am meeting. Just as it says to do on Jane’
s voicemail. They got in the night before but they were harassed and treated
rudely. Luckily they got to Jane and she hooked them up and got them in the
field to help with rescue efforts.

RUMOR HAS IT (I state rumor anytime I have totally accurate info) that HSUS
is looking to wind down the Gonzales operation. I predicted that they would use
this hurricane Rita to move out lots of volunteers and then wind down. They
can dispute that right here with a comment or they can call me. They can prove
me wrong in 30 seconds or give me a press release to post. I know that they
read this bog.

HSUS has taken on a strategy that we feel will allow thousands of animals to
starve in their house. Unless things change, they will now only take critical
animals. Other animals in the thousands have been fed in their houses. Now
HSUS premise is that those owners will soon be home and that there will be a big
fat happy reunion. It seems that in their fairy tale world all these animals
are in Victorian houses and the owners will be riding in in any day in their
Lexuses to get their pets. The reality is that in almost every house that we are
dealing with an animal inside is that the likelihood of the owner of ever
coming back is very low. These people left without vehicles, think their pets are
dead, and have been moved to new locations. With new accommodations and jobs,
they may never return. If I leave an animal in a house there are major
problems:

1. I have to be assured that HSUS will continue to feed that animal for
months to come. I have absolutely no confidence that that will happen OR
2. I have to be completely sure that that owner is actually coming home. My
personal opinion in many houses that they are not coming homes. These houses
are disgusting. You seen mold all over the walls, dry wall wet and falling in. 3
weeks of feces, urine on the floor. So this policy of feeding these animals
and this situation and expecting the owners seems a little far fetched. These
animals must be pulled out but they aren’t.

I’d like HSUS to explain their tracking system. It seems that no one there
has heard of an electronic database - something that every 8th grader has been
taught. I have sent 5 owners to Gonzales - all have come back saying that they
are simply told “You can start walking around looking for your pet.” Could
HSUS please describe in detail their tracking system? And don’t say petfinder -
that’s just their way of acting like they have a plan for these animals. In a
concise document, explain the tracking system for the owner who wants to
search for their pet. I know owners who know their animals were sent there but
after days of trying have no idea even which state their pet was sent to. Seems
like everything was done on paper; I hope I am wrong

HSUS you need to absolutely tell the truth because there are too many people
there who saw the inner workings and are ready to tell exactly what they saw -
good or bad. Honesty in the best policy. Animals were pulled from specific
addresses. Why is it when people try to find their pet that they can’t simply
say “My animal was pulled from xyz address” and in some database, this info is
quickly pulled telling exactly where the animal is at this time. As far as I
can tell neither petfinder.com nor HSUS has a way to search by specific
address. Both need to remedy this immediately. Especially petfinder.com who has been
pushed as the place to go to find their pet. You simply cannot expect people
to click on New Orleans and click on 10,000 entries to find their pet.

Next, can we get a complete anthology of what happened and what is being done
about the list of owners who called the 800 number. This is your chance to
tell the truth about that list because I have specific people at HSUS who have
volunteered who know day by day the status of the list, what happened to it,
and why it wasn’t used. And we are putting together a timeline of the list,
which is not going to make HSUS look like the shining savoir of those owner call
ins. We have been in houses where the owners were told that their animals were
rescued by HSUS but when we got there the animals were dead, dying or perhaps
in good shape depending on the amount of food left out.

Next, I have a group ready to run a ½ to full page USAToday ad to alert the
thousands of pet owners who called that 800 HSUS number that their pets have
not been rescued and that they should take other measures to rescue their pets. I
’ll give HSUS the courtesy of today to contact me before we place that ad. I
don’t talk to lawyers. There has got to be someone with some common sense
there at HSUS that is interested in a serious conversation about how to continue
this operation in order to save the thousands of animals that are still out
there. Anybody who has been on the street understands that this crisis hasn’t
even slowed down. I was in St. Bernard parish yesterday and there were 20-30 dogs
and cats every 3 to 5 blocks. What happened to the idea to get a couple of
water trucks in there to water these animals in kiddy pools? Most of these ani
mals were obviously people’s pets and not strays.

Hey HSUS! I met a guy yesterday who came by your facility and no one wanted
to listen to him. He has 20 acres plus the biggest rodeo pen and stables just a
few miles from Gonzales. Don’t cry about space. Anyone with a brain could get
space here. I have been in 3 locations and have never been turned down once.
Doug's number is 985.513.0287. Call him.

Lastly could every one please go to www.oilydog.org and please find this poor
dog so everyone can know he’s ok.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,178 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Sep 26 2005, 09:27 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 26 2005, 07:36 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-maltlover
@Sep 26 2005, 07:06 PM
I wish u all the luck in the world but i just came upon this.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/pet/99552245.html
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103656


OMG!!! IF this is true, I will send it in the HSUS envelope the next time they send me a request for a donation.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103718



:eek: OMG! My stomach is JUST SICK!
SICK!
That was an utterly awful account!
I hope to goodness it is not true...but something tells me that he honesty and details in it sound too real. -_- I wish someone had video/picture proof for the media to go with that story. AWFUL!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103735
I just now emailed it to the HSUS, New York Times, and the Associated Press (AP).

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103753
[/B][/QUOTE]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
So sad...
I had to stop reading...
There are lots of people who would be willing to help....adopt...foster...
Those babies need out of those houses.
It all makes me so sad....I like to be naive and positive and think that they are doing all they can for them and that they just are out of help, resources, and space...but after reading the first report above by maltlover...I just don't know that I believe it. -_-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,741 Posts
how nice of u to help out...it is amazing how all the people are coming from all over to help these guys. maybe ill see u around!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Here is a new site that is for people to post the good/bad about the rescue effort. It appears to be a developing site, so you might want to check back from time to time.

http://saveourdisasteranimals.blogspot.com/

Save Our Disaster Animals

This blog is for discussion of animal rescue efforts after hurricanes and
floods of Katrina and Rita. Personal accounts from volunteers and rescue groups
are welcome. It needs to be made public which humane organizations have helped,
and which ones have hindered. Changes need to be made before future disasters
to protect our pets.

Permission to crosspost
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Ohh, that is sowonderful of you to go and volunteer. I wish I could go and help but that would be impossible as I have too many responsibilities here. I went on that other site and that is just horrible!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by LucyLou@Sep 26 2005, 08:47 PM
I congratulate you on your devotion to helping the animals of Katrina.  I wish you well on your trip.  Hopefully, you are in touch with the group you will be working with, and all will go well.  Unfortunately, I am getting many negative accounts on my rescue group lists of what is going on with some of the big name groups.  I will post the most recent, which came from a well respected rescue group. 
When you get to the area, hopefully, you can give us a first hand account, and put some of the rumors to rest.
Again, good luck and stay safe.


SOURCE:  http://www.ericsdogblog.com/

Monday, September 26, 2005

Monday Update


Hard to understand what HSUS is doing. Some of their actions do not support
what they say their mission is - which is to be here for the long term.
Previously I said go to Gonzales. But at this point just call me until I get
clarification on whether or not they will accept volunteers: 443.421.0000.


Unlike almost any other group, we worked right up until Rita came at us full
force. We got in almost a full day of work - working up until 6pm with very
little rain and wind. We actually had a great day that day and put in almost
nine hours. It wasn’t that difficult to talk to the police dept and other
officials to find out when we should get out. We were all safe and secure. Went to
Gonzales to try to sleep there. They now have a password to get in. A girl at
the shell station gave it to us so we could get into the gate. We were quickly
told that we couldn’t stay in Gonzales and what came along with those
statements was despicable behavior; we were told we would be arrested if we rescued
another animal. And some lady, like a rabid animal, was ripping animal rescues
signs from our cars in 70 miles wind. I had one little dog whose owner I had
located. They were trying to take that dog. There was no way I was giving that
dog to the flawed tracking system that they have put together. These people have
made enemies out of the hundreds people who put their lives on hold and spent
thousands of their own money to help reunite pets with their owners and save
other lost animals.

Here’s a fact, I have tried desperately to follow HSUS directions to a tee -
to be official with their rules. The rules change every day; so in the end, it’
s almost impossible to be a rescuer with HSUS. Jane Garrison, a person of
good intellect, responsible, street savvy who uses common sense, is the only
person that I have run across that will help you. But in many cases, her hands
have been tied. I can see it.

I sent 4 volunteers to go to the 6 am meeting. Just as it says to do on Jane’
s voicemail. They got in the night before but they were harassed and treated
rudely. Luckily they got to Jane and she hooked them up and got them in the
field to help with rescue efforts.

RUMOR HAS IT (I state rumor anytime I have totally accurate info) that HSUS
is looking to wind down the Gonzales operation. I predicted that they would use
this hurricane Rita to move out lots of volunteers and then wind down. They
can dispute that right here with a comment or they can call me. They can prove
me wrong in 30 seconds or give me a press release to post. I know that they
read this bog.

HSUS has taken on a strategy that we feel will allow thousands of animals to
starve in their house. Unless things change, they will now only take critical
animals. Other animals in the thousands have been fed in their houses. Now
HSUS premise is that those owners will soon be home and that there will be a big
fat happy reunion. It seems that in their fairy tale world all these animals
are in Victorian houses and the owners will be riding in in any day in their
Lexuses to get their pets. The reality is that in almost every house that we are
dealing with an animal inside is that the likelihood of the owner of ever
coming back is very low. These people left without vehicles, think their pets are
dead, and have been moved to new locations. With new accommodations and jobs,
they may never return. If I leave an animal in a house there are major
problems:

1. I have to be assured that HSUS will continue to feed that animal for
months to come. I have absolutely no confidence that that will happen OR
2. I have to be completely sure that that owner is actually coming home. My
personal opinion in many houses that they are not coming homes. These houses
are disgusting. You seen mold all over the walls, dry wall wet and falling in. 3
weeks of feces, urine on the floor. So this policy of feeding these animals
and this situation and expecting the owners seems a little far fetched. These
animals must be pulled out but they aren’t.

I’d like HSUS to explain their tracking system. It seems that no one there
has heard of an electronic database - something that every 8th grader has been
taught. I have sent 5 owners to Gonzales - all have come back saying that they
are simply told “You can start walking around looking for your pet.” Could
HSUS please describe in detail their tracking system? And don’t say petfinder -
that’s just their way of acting like they have a plan for these animals. In a
concise document, explain the tracking system for the owner who wants to
search for their pet. I know owners who know their animals were sent there but
after days of trying have no idea even which state their pet was sent to. Seems
like everything was done on paper; I hope I am wrong

HSUS you need to absolutely tell the truth because there are too many people
there who saw the inner workings and are ready to tell exactly what they saw -
good or bad. Honesty in the best policy. Animals were pulled from specific
addresses. Why is it when people try to find their pet that they can’t simply
say “My animal was pulled from xyz address” and in some database, this info is
quickly pulled telling exactly where the animal is at this time. As far as I
can tell neither petfinder.com nor HSUS has a way to search by specific
address. Both need to remedy this immediately. Especially petfinder.com who has been
pushed as the place to go to find their pet. You simply cannot expect people
to click on New Orleans and click on 10,000 entries to find their pet.

Next, can we get a complete anthology of what happened and what is being done
about the list of owners who called the 800 number. This is your chance to
tell the truth about that list because I have specific people at HSUS who have
volunteered who know day by day the status of the list, what happened to it,
and why it wasn’t used. And we are putting together a timeline of the list,
which is not going to make HSUS look like the shining savoir of those owner call
ins. We have been in houses where the owners were told that their animals were
rescued by HSUS but when we got there the animals were dead, dying or perhaps
in good shape depending on the amount of food left out.

Next, I have a group ready to run a ½ to full page USAToday ad to alert the
thousands of pet owners who called that 800 HSUS number that their pets have
not been rescued and that they should take other measures to rescue their pets. I
’ll give HSUS the courtesy of today to contact me before we place that ad. I
don’t talk to lawyers. There has got to be someone with some common sense
there at HSUS that is interested in a serious conversation about how to continue
this operation in order to save the thousands of animals that are still out
there. Anybody who has been on the street understands that this crisis hasn’t
even slowed down. I was in St. Bernard parish yesterday and there were 20-30 dogs
and cats every 3 to 5 blocks. What happened to the idea to get a couple of
water trucks in there to water these animals in kiddy pools? Most of these ani
mals were obviously people’s pets and not strays.

Hey HSUS! I met a guy yesterday who came by your facility and no one wanted
to listen to him. He has 20 acres plus the biggest rodeo pen and stables just a
few miles from Gonzales. Don’t cry about space. Anyone with a brain could get
space here. I have been in 3 locations and have never been turned down once.
Doug's number is 985.513.0287. Call him.

Lastly could every one please go to www.oilydog.org and please find this poor
dog so everyone can know he’s ok.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103767
[/QUOTE]


I read this blog. it is pretty sad what's happening out there with this organizations. So much politics going on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank so much everyone for your kind comments.
This will be an adventure of a life time. I hope Im strong enough for this. I hope to come back with good news and happy endings stories and I will bring pictures too.

Lady Mondatava are you planning to go to? when?
I will be going down there by myself
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
As stated in an earlier post in this thread, I sent a copy of the negative info posted on Craiglist about the HSUS to them and got this "canned" reply via email today:

September 28, 2005

Regarding the statement of “Laura,” a volunteer rescuer, about the Hattiesburg, Mississippi Hurricane Katrina rescue site, between 9/13/05 and 9/17/05.

Rumors and malevolent charges are an unfortunate feature of disaster and crisis work, and during Hurricane Katrina The HSUS has been the subject of several spiteful attacks. There is no substance to this malicious account concerning the operations of The HSUS in Mississippi. The anonymous author’s false claims flow from her anger at The HSUS’s refusal to let her break the rules set by the state of Mississippi, by taking animals of her choosing out of the Hattiesburg facility.

The animals in The HSUS’s care at Hattiesburg are not up for adoption. They are lost and we hope to find their owners. There is a state-mandated hold on lost animals while we attempt to do so. Letting individuals take animals to other states and give them to other people frustrates that goal, places animals in potential jeopardy, and puts The HSUS and all those involved in violation of state law, putting rescue and relief operations in Mississippi at risk.

Apparently the person who wrote this attack on The HSUS feels that those volunteers who come in to help the animal victims of Katrina have a right to take animals away with them as a kind of emotional reward for their work, without giving the rightful owners of these displaced pets a chance to reunite with them.

The unusual circumstances of Katrina have attracted many people with strong opinions about the abandonment of animals in a disaster. Many hold the belief that owners don’t have a right to get their pets back because they left them behind. However, the record is clear that hundreds of residents became separated from their pets through no fault of their own, or under extreme duress. Apart from what the state of Mississippi requires of us, we have our own conviction about what is appropriate. If people want to reunite with animals they have lived with, we are not making judgments.

The management of a temporary animal shelter along with a rescue and relief operation during a disaster is a challenging responsibility. However, it is a burden that The HSUS has effectively assumed on many prior occasions, and that is one of the reasons that the state of Mississippi permitted us to operate a sheltering facility at the Forrest County Multi-Purpose Center in Hattiesburg.

Our onsite staff, consultants, and veterinarians, and other longtime sheltering experts have been overseeing animal care at Hattiesburg, and their work is supervised by the state veterinarian of Mississippi. While the situation could never be ideal, the notion that staff or volunteers onsite are withholding proper care, food, and comforts from the animals in Hattiesburg is patently absurd and downright offensive -- not simply to The HSUS but to the hundreds of volunteers who have helped to care for these creatures.

Given the number of animals at the facility, the amount of work necessary for the sheltering component, and the limited number of staff and volunteers, it is utterly unfair to say that anyone "did not care if the dogs were walked only once per day." I haven't heard of a single person in Hattiesburg -- HSUS staff member or not -- who didn't wish that every single animal was out of crates completely.

Volunteers are the lifeblood of the HSUS operations at Hattiesburg, and Gonzales, Louisiana, and we would not have been able to accomplish our relief work without them. But The HSUS cannot allow volunteers to make decisions about which animals should stay and which should go, when and where they should go, or how they should go. Nor can we let them substitute their conceptions of what sheltering should look like in a disaster scenario for the established procedures and professional judgment that have worked well during prior incidents.

There are many people in the disaster zones who, having lost everything, are frantically searching for their animals. Already, there have been dozens of reunions at Hattiesburg. There will soon come a time when the holding period for the animals displaced by the hurricane will be over. Then The HSUS and other organizations will do their utmost to find homes for these traumatized creatures. But until that point, we will operate under the assumption that these animals have both homes and families that are searching for them, and from the conviction that Katrina’s human victims -- who have already lost homes, livelihoods, and loved ones -- should not also lose their pets.

Our mission in the disaster zone is trifold: First, to save as many lives as possible. Second, to help put those lives back together by reuniting people with their pets. And thirdly, to try and find homes for the animals who’ve truly been made homeless by this disaster. We will continue to pursue those missions -- in that order -- as long as we are working there.

Melissa Rubin
Vice President Field and Disaster Services
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by ilove_d&m@Sep 27 2005, 12:16 PM
Thank so much everyone for your kind comments.
This will be an adventure of a life time. I hope Im strong enough for this. I hope to come back with good news and happy endings stories and I will bring pictures too.

Lady Mondatava are you planning to go to? when?
I will be going down there by myself 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103969
[/QUOTE]
well if ur going to be in gonzales...i live like 15 min away...if u get lonely let me know
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top