Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can we say... Shadow's family has LOTS of questions...

Shadow has been going up the steps since we brought her home at 11 weeks.. but... she will NOT go down them - or even attempt. Is this normal? How long before the pup will feel comfortable going down the steps? (I don't want to continue to spoil her by carrying her down if she should be doing it on her own by now!)

·
Registered
939 Posts
We carried Tiki down the stairs for 9 months! He was always afraid then one day he was more afraid of the vacuum cleaner and took of down the stairs
. Shadow will go down when she is ready; you can't spoil her to much

Judi

·
Registered
346 Posts
Morgan just turned a year old and he still isn't going up or down the stairs and that is perfectly fine with me. He also can't/won't jump up on the furniture. Spoil? What's that? lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"9 months"... "a year old"... ugh! You've got to be kidding me!

I don't so much mind carrying her down the steps...but she thinks it's a game and backs away, prances at me, runs around, barks, etc. It can take almost 10 minutes for me to even catch her sometimes! The only good thing is - since she knows how to go 'up' steps... she just keeps going up another level - and then another - till finally I have here cornered on the top level! Darn split level houses... :eek:

·
Registered
939 Posts
For a long time we had a low gate in front of our stairs. I was to worried that Tiki would get up and not be able to come down or fall. The gate doesn't have to be very tall; so you can step over it easily and she won't be able to go up. You may want to have her come to you and sit for a small treat before you pick her up to come down; once she learns that "come, sit" command life will be much easier!

It took Tiki a LONG TIME to learn this command; he now knows if he wants that treat he better be sitting at my feet. Of course if he doesn't want the treat and is to busy to be bothered I have to go after him

Judi

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Sampson learned to go up and down pretty quick on his own, he takes his time on certain ones though, it was years before he would go down the ones to the basement at my mom and dads house, Maggie would go up them but not down them for the first few months when we got her, dont get mad at me ladies but the way she got over her fear of going down them was be pulling her down the first step, just gently pulling her leash until she went over the first one and from that moment forward she has went up and down without a problem

·
Registered
346 Posts
I dont' want Morgan to learn! lol And he does the very same thing, plays his little "catch me if you can" game, running & jumping & spinning in circles when I ask him if he wants to go downstairs...I personally love it and play right along with him. I think he does it out of excitement,,he knows alot of his toys are downstairs in the family room and he wants to be with everyone else too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Colette will go up the two steps leading into our house. She has only gone down them once....she's 6 1/2 months. I have 2 Chihuahuas which only do the two front steps.....up and down. I, therefore, am not holding out much hope for Colette. Now my German Shepherd was the stepmaster whiz when she was alive. :lol: It's good I never had to carry her!!
Gail

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

Is your baby going up and down the stairs yet? My first one, Jasmine is 3 pounds as an adult but was going up and down from the time she was about 10 weeks. Treats are a great insentive for them to go down one stair at a time. My daughter and I placed a treat on the stair below her until she made it all the way down. It was so cute at that point. She realized she did it so she ran all the way to the top and ran all the way down. That is all it took.

Chester is now 14 weeks and 4 pounds. He is our bruser! :D The first night I had him home he followed us upstairs and then went down on his own. I'm not sure he had stairs before as when he got to the bottom he did the same thing. He ran up and down the stairs like it was new to him. Jasmine is only 3 pounds, but you should see that girl go when she goes up and down. Jumping is another matter and she doesn't jump up on anything. She just is too little.

Best of luck,
Joanne, Jasmine, and Chester

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bitsy is the same way, she could go up the stairs almost immediately when we got her, she's about 14 weeks now and is still terrified of going down the stairs. I guess when she's ready she will?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sydney was afraid to go down the step going to the patio so my husband built her a little half step and we would take her to the step and put her paw down on her half step and she finally got comfortable going down. Eventually she was confident to go on the regular step on her own. Then sooon after she would go up and down the other 3 patio steps to the yard on her own....took her about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Morgan is about a year and half and still will not go up and down a full set of stairs. He will go up and down the back deck steps because it is only two, but will not go down the stairs to the basement's family room, I have to carry him. If I go upstairs from there for any reason, he will follow me, but will sit at the foot of the stairs until I come back down. If I am gone too long for his taste, he will sit and cry for me. Of course, it was just a few months ago he started jumping up on the bed and furniture. If he never learns the art of the stairs, that is perfectly fine with me. I dont' mind carrying him up and down the stairs and I know where he is at all times.

·
Registered
994 Posts
maxi started to go up and down steps at 6 months fully and he relaly did it on his own when he felt comfortable i tried teaching him and he did it when he was ready...he is cautious and wont do something if he feels unconfortable

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Caesar started to go up stairs at about 10 weeks, but he was too scared to come back down. My husband taught him how to come down at about 13 weeks. He would bring him down half way and then Caesar would go down, I guess from the top it seemed to scarey
. Now he goes up and down as often as he wants. Our steps are carpeted, he is still hesitant to go up/down wooden stairs though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My Maltese learn't how to go up and down the stairs as they come to bed with us every night,

in the night as soon as the TV goes off they race to the top of the stairs and wait for us to come up.

in the morning they go to the toilet when my husband makes a cup of coffee and race down stairs.

I think they race each other ! :D :D

I think their insentive is being with us !

·
Registered
346 Posts
My house is a ranch so the only stairs to climb are for the basement to get to the family room, so I love carrying him. So I spoil him a little and he may never learn to go up and down the stairs..okay, I spoil him ALOT! lol I don't mind and like that he depends on me for it. What more can I say? lol My yorkie on the other hand, is still so tiny, (he's only 15 weeks old) with no fear of anything and I am afraid the little dare devil will have the stairs down to a science in no time flat! I had to buy a small playpen for him for when I am cooking and cleaning as he keeps getting under foot, I put a bell on his collar, that didn't help a whole heck of alot so figured a playpen would take care of the problem, well, no go, he jumps and pulls himself up and over and out! (it was good for about 2 weeks! lol) So having one who wants to be carried and needs me is a nice thing! lol

·
Registered
939 Posts
You better keep an eye on Morgan; once that little yorkie starts going up and down stairs, Morgan is sure to follow

Judi

1 - 20 of 28 Posts