Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband's uncle sent this information to us. It is true, I just checked our number and had it removed. If you put ur phone number into google, it will bring up your name, adress, and mapquest for directions to your home. Here is the email:

Subject: FW: Fwd: Info on your phone number
>
>A friend sent me the following information. Your phone number will NOT work if you have an unlisted number - but you can test it anyway.
>
>This is kind of scary!!!
>
>Google has implemented a new feature where in you can type someone's telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and then you will be given a map to their house.
>
>Before forwarding this, I tested it by typing my telephone number in google.com. My phone number came up, and when I clicked on the MapQuest link, it actually mapped out where I live. Quite scary.
>Please look up your own number. Read below for details.
>
>Think about it--if a child, single person, ANYONE gives out his/her phone number, someone can actually now look it up to find out where he/she lives.
>The safety issues > are > obvious, and alarming. This is not a hoax.
>MapQuest will put a > star > on your house on your street. > In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, click here: http://www.google.com/<http://www.google.com/> Type your phone number in the search bar with area code and dashes(i.e. 555-555-1212)
>(dashes and no spaces very important) and hit enter. This will divulge your name and address. You will see a link option to the right for MapQuest (click on it), which will use the address to provide a map to your home or place of business.
>
>If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on the telephone icon next to your phone number or the link by your name. I removed my name, but it takes 48 hours.
>If you are unlisted in the phone book, you might not be in there, but it is a good idea just to check.
>

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have 3 numbers and none of them come up. Two are cell phones and one is an internet phone (Vonage) so that's probably why it doesn't come up. Then again I have known about this for a while. Search engines have been able to do this for years now. I have looked up many people on the internet. I can get phone numbers, addresses and other things with just a little bit of information (name and state they live in). Then you just take the address to mapquest and type it in and you can even type in your address too and get directions from your house to theirs.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is nothing new...I underwrite for a mortgage company and we have always been able to pull up this information. If your phone number is listed in the phone book, it is a very simple thing to reverse directory your phone number, type your address into mapquest and get the directions. Mine does not come up because I have an unlisted phone number. To the best of my knowledge this does not work with cell phones, but that may be changing because I have heard rumors that they are going to start listing cell phone numbers in the directories.

You would be amazed the information that can be found from an online public records search. It's almost scary.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Argh!!
I hate that an unlisted number is listed all over the place now!!!! I never thought google would come up with my info...thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
It says:
IMPORTANT NOTE:  Removing your phonebook listing will not remove your personal information from other pages on the web or from other reverse phone listing lookup services, such as: Anywho
Switchboard.com
  Whitepages.com
Reverse Phone Directory
  Phonenumber.com
Smartpages.com
[/B]

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
All it is is a reverse phone directory. Those have been around for years. Example: Reverse Phone Directory

They used to print reverse phone directories (just like phone books). When my mom worked for a financial advicer about 15 years ago they had one. I thought it was the coolest thing (I was 10 at the time).

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Apr 6 2005, 09:21 AM
All it is is a reverse phone directory.  Those have been around for years.  Example: Reverse Phone Directory

They used to print reverse phone directories (just like phone books).  When my mom worked for a financial advicer about 15 years ago they had one.  I thought it was the coolest thing (I was 10 at the time).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49568
[/QUOTE]
But when I searched my number in the reverse lookup it said no match could be found
Well I guess there are plenty of other sites that do have my info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts