Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you google "maltese" then maltese only shows up.

if you google "maltese forum" then maltese only shows up.

if you google "spoil maltese" then maltese only shows up

how can we fix this??? i was even trying to go through 5 pages on each of these searches and i couldnt find spoiledmaltese.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
if you type spoiled maltese it does..#1...but who would know to search for that.
but if you search maltese dog forum it is #2

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it just sucks because i dont want jay to have any more people. lol.
but i've been trying to help sm. i wear my k9troops sweater all the time and in the "links" page i have sm listed. and on my dogster page i have sm listed. i hope it helps some.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Dec 7 2004, 10:07 AM
it just sucks because i dont want jay to have any more people.  lol. 
  but i've been trying to help sm.  i wear my k9troops sweater all the time and in the "links" page i have sm listed.  and on  my dogster page i have sm listed.  i hope it helps some. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20878
[/QUOTE]

I've been trying to get more people for our Meetup group. When I see someone with a Maltese I tell them about the meetup group and also about SM. I even bought some of those business cards you can print on your computer at Walmart. I was going to print the information about the Meetup group on one side and SM info on the other. Is there a SM logo I could use? I want the SM name and the link.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'd buy a spoiledmaltese t-shirt from cafepress.com if you have an account there. you should have a contest of people submitting a logo or something.
that'd be AWESOME. and then everyone can vote on which is best.

and its free to make the account. and then you can price the t-shirts and sweaters up a couple of dollars and then you can get that money and advertise.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Dec 7 2004, 10:21 AM
If you are really gong-ho (sp?) on bringing people over here, one way to do it would be to go to Dogster and message all the Malt owners and let them know about SM. I am sure some of them are members of MO.  Just a thought. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20895
[/QUOTE]

I've been doing that too.
That is were I met Pippinsmom.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I always use google...
but I do hate it that MO comes up more...

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i have the google tool bar and i love it! i like google esp. when it comes to looking for images., of course sometimes images are found that i didnt ever want to see!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
we'll get there, dont worry

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Internet marketers use advanced keywording techniques and all sorts of methods to artifically force their website up to the top of a google search list. Institutions are spending tons of money and research on how to do this--some hire full time staff with PhDs to figure out how to exploit their "googability".

One thing I find particularly annoying is that a couple of years you could run a search on any topic and find all kinds of useful websites. I was running a search about two months ago on a given topic and couldn't get one single useful site. Instead, I kept getting miles and miles of Internet shopping sites that listed a related item for sale. I ended up using alternatives to google. Even Yahoo and Dogpile, etc. brought up the same shopping lists. My son clued me in to a lesser known search engine and I was successful with that one.

*Sigh*. The people's Internet has been hijacked by commercial and corporate interests.

So, we have to figure out what magic hidden text will put us at the top of the list and embed it in the pages. :D

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@Dec 9 2004, 08:54 AM
Internet marketers use advanced keywording techniques and all sorts of methods to artifically force their website up to the top of a google search list.  Institutions are spending tons of money and research on how to do this--some hire full time staff with PhDs to figure out how to exploit their "googability".

One thing I find particularly annoying is that a couple of years you could run a search on any topic and find all kinds of useful websites.  I was running a search about two months ago on a given topic and couldn't get one single useful site.  Instead, I kept getting miles and miles of Internet shopping sites that listed a related item for sale.  I ended up using alternatives to google.  Even Yahoo and Dogpile, etc. brought up the same shopping lists.  My son clued me in to a lesser known search engine and I was successful with that one.

*Sigh*.  The people's Internet has been hijacked by commercial and corporate interests.

So, we have to figure out what magic hidden text will put us at the top of the list and embed it in the pages.  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=21554
[/QUOTE]

Oh, there is that precious picture!

If you are using Internet Explorer, you can find the code used in the web page by going to the page and clicking on "View" (in the top nav) and then "Source". You will then see the code for the page. Of couse, this doesn't tell you everything about the strategy the company is using to obtain high rankings.

My company pays thousands of dollars a month to a company to work on our rankings. It is very difficult to get up there in a top spot. One technique that is supposedly important to obtaining high rankings is to have lots of links in to your site. It is called "Link Popularity". Another technique is to have lots of relevant editorial on your site... the editorial should have your relevant keywords imbedded in the text. That way when someone searches on a topic, the editorial will come up and there will (should be) a link from the editorial, to the Forum. Notice how much editorial there is on MO....

The techniques above are for natural (organic) rankings but companies can also be seen on relevant search words' results pages by "paying to play". In other words you buy the banners or other listings on pages in which your keyword appears. You can buy by impressions and then the ad goes away after it has been seen a certain number of times... depending on your budget. On some sites you pay per click and the price can be from .01 to over $1.00 every time someone clicks on your name.

All this is quite expensive..... but if you are selling something, you can usually make your money back by those clicking coming to your site and buying something. In cases like SM where there is no revenue for Joe when someone clicks, it can get extremely cost prohibitive.

The way that I happen to find MO was not through the rankings or even looking for a forum.... I Googled on a topic I was interested in and the results pulled up a posting from MO. (Apparently our posts are indexed by the search engine spiders.) I clicked on the topic result and found myself in the MO forum and was then hooked.

IMHO this is the very best way for this site to get new members..... especially members who will be valuable contributors. These are people who are out there searching for information about their dogs, so they are likely to be interested in seeing and sharing information. The more posts we can get on SM that have "meat" to them ... that are more than what you would find in a chat room, then the more likely SM will rise to the top of the search engines because the topics will be picked up as relevant results in a search.

I'm sure you all have noticed that a lot of members come and go. Member retention should be a priority. However, there has to be something here to keep them and IMHO that "something" is valuable information shared among members and the ability to politely express an opinion without being personally attacked. When visitors see members being inpolite to each other, my guess is they may bolt from this site pretty quickly.... often before even becoming members. Don't forget.... we are on display for potential members... they are going to come here and look us over by reading through the posts. Hopefully, they'll like what they see... it is up to each of us who want this site to succeed ....

Sorry... didn't know this was going to be so long!!! :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Dec 9 2004, 09:40 AM
IMHO this is the very best way for this site to get new members..... especially members who will be valuable contributors. These are people who are out there searching for information about their dogs, so they are likely to be interested in seeing and sharing information.  The more posts we can get on SM that have "meat" to them ... that are more than what you would find in a chat room, then the more likely SM will rise to the top of the search engines because the topics will be picked up as relevant results in a search. 

I'm sure you all have noticed that a lot of members come and go. Member retention should be a priority. However, there has to be something here to keep them and IMHO that "something" is valuable information shared among members and the ability to politely express an opinion without being personally attacked. When visitors see members being inpolite to each other, my guess is they may bolt from this site pretty quickly.... often before even becoming members. Don't forget.... we are on  display for potential members... they are going to come here and look us over by reading through the posts. Hopefully, they'll like what they see... it is up to each of us who want this site to succeed .... 

Sorry... didn't know this was going to be so long!!! :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=21558
[/QUOTE]

IMHO:
I think our giggle-fests and silliness are fun!! I need the stress relief.
When I want "meat" I search for the valuable information or I post and ask...
Otherwise the "anything goes" and "everything else" sections are my favorite. The good stuff is here if you want it, but we also can loosen up and have fun. Part of what makes this forum GREAT (to me) is that it has BOTH parts!

As far as the personal attacks, I often just bite my tongue...I know how it has felt to me when people have personally attacked me both here and on MO, when I felt it was undeserved. I try to live by the "If you can't say anything nice" philosophy-(it is REALLY hard sometimes!)...when I feel like venting...I vent on a PM to one of my buddies on here...not on the board. There is nothing wrong with stating an opinion, as I have done here, but I TRY to be tactful (it is not a strength of mine sometimes)-and respond to things the way I would want people to respond to me. I know it doesn't always work that way, because people are sensitive like myself and take things the wrong way. But at least I TRY.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts