Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7,405 Posts
Good for you for getting some help NOW. We learned the hard way with a cocker spaniel that you have to have control. We treated her like a baby and she ruled our house. I was even kind of scared of her when she was snappy. I swore that when she died I would NEVER have another dog. It wasn't long before we were looking for our bichon but this time we did the research and made sure that we were the alpha at all times. I've never had one minutes trouble from her. We are doing the same with our puppies. Our methods are positive. We relied heavily on the Monks of New Skete. Please post after the trainer has been there. I'd really be interested to know what they have to say.

· Registered
7,405 Posts
We never really had to do the rollover and the shake. We did use their suggestions for sleeping and keeping the dog right by us to help with house training. I don't think the rollover is really necessary for small dogs. I did notice on another board that someone who has a wolf rescue uses that method and is highly successful. Maybe it works better for big dogs.

· Registered
7,405 Posts
I can't find my copy of the book. We didn't use any physical punishment but I can't honestly remember if that was in there or not. What I recall that we did was a lot of bonding stuff with Jolie to make her part of our pack, but to insure that she knew that she was lower in the pack than the rest of us. I wish I could find the copy.

· Registered
7,405 Posts
Good for you! I think that I'll look into a trainer in my area, too. Please update us about your progress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.