Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Got a trainer

3K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  mylittlebella 
Before you spend the $500, interview this trainer carefully. With Maltese, the best methods are positive, motivational ones. You can actually train a dog without punishment can get wonderful results. That doesn't mean you permit them to get away with anything, just that you ask them for an alternative instead of saying no. If she is using a clicker, that is fantastic. $95 for an in home consult is reasonable. I'd want to know exactly what the $500 includes.

After your consult with her, depending on what she says, I would find an obedience class with positive methods. That trainer should be able to help you outside of class for a nominal fee and the class itself is usually 6-8 weeks for around $100. The class is actually really important as you will learn a lot about how to interact with your dog by watching the others.

Congratulations for seeking help now! Little dogs are terribly manipulative and it lands them in rescue because many owners are not as committed to getting professional help like you are! Reaching out shows what a wonderful owner you are!

Originally posted by Kodie@Jan 11 2005, 09:03 AM
ummm... I hope i'm not being a BLIND mommy... haha.. how are maltese manipulative??  I wanna be aware of what Kodie is probably doing to me without me noticing it!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28945
[/QUOTE]

Does your dog dictate to you when he gets on and off furniture? Does he dictate when you pick him up and pet him (demand it)? Does he listen when you ask him to do something, including stopping a behavior you don't like? Toy breeds are notorious for having their owners wrapped around their paws. I love my dogs, but we have rules in this house and all dogs, regardless of size, have to follow them. Many people with toy dogs let them get away with so many things that they would never let a 50 lb dog do. My Maltese must be as well behaved as the 90 lb petite Great Dane. This means obedience classes right from puppyhood, the same training and rules apply that I would use on a large dog, etc.

Yes, I let my little ones jump on me, but I also let the Border Collies do it...we all have some things we don't mind. All of the dogs, however, get off when I ask.

Originally posted by mylittlebella@Jan 11 2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks for your comments...I really appreciate the information you gave me.  I am going to try her for the one day training.  She said she will re train Bella to potty and me how to keep training her.  She will also address the issue of her pinching me to get my attention.  She was highly recommended by my vet so I'm going to try the $95 first.  I will look into the classes since I don't have $500.

I would never get rid of Bella but I can see how some people just loose control of their dog and don't get help and end up at the shelter.  I love her too much and if I have to find the $500 I will but I will definitely try to find a cheaper class.  Again, I appreciate all of you guys' comments.

BTW...I already ignore her but that's not working either...I'm telling you, she's totally out of control. :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28952
[/QUOTE]

$500 is a lot of money, I don't blame you. I think the private consult and class is a nice compromise.

For now, until you see the trainer, when she is out of control like that just calmly place her in her crate (she can even have a treat for kenneling up). You getting frustrated won't help. Once you have the basics of attention exercises and a few commands down, it will be much easier. When Mikey was young, there were often times when I just had to put him up for 10 minutes and step away from the situation. I'd get frustrated and we would get nowhere. I would just say "Uh oh let's kennel up" in a happy voice. It wasn't a punishment, but I needed time to calm down and so did he.

The alpha roll is not effective and the wolf researcher who originally published on it found that his initial observation was wrong. I have seen video of a trainer who does it to a Dobie. The dog submits the first few times and then bites him in the face.

The alpha never has to use physical force to assert his or herself. Submissive dogs actually roll over on their own in the presense of the alpha. The physical stuff is what you see from the lower dogs who are trying to assert themselves in the middle of the pack when they are insecure about their position.

The BEST ever book for a new puppy owner is Jean Donaldson's The Culture Clash. It has a nice, simple explanation of learning theory and explains lots of misconceptions about training dogs. She also has step by step for training basic behaviors.

Relationship building changes like Nothing in Life is Free will give you better results and make life a lot more pleasant.

How do you find agility classes/trainers? I would like to put Brink in some agility classes. That would be fun!!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29037

I am quite sure we probably don't have anything like that around my po-dunk area
. One of the downsides of living in the rural areas...I would probably have to look in the bigger cities like Nashville and Memphis that are 2+ hours away. -_- Thanks for the info though!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30481
And I have to drive an hour away from the city for an agility class! We need to trade LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.