Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning Sunny got into a huge ant pile, when i got in the house i thought his feet were black with dirt but it was really tons of ants. Well i manged to get them off of him (i had to kill them first becuase i have a bad reaction of ant bits so now his feet smell like vinagar, rubbing alchohol, and bactein). He feet dont seem swollen or anything but there were just so many ants on him and like when i tried to brush his feet tonight i started whinning like it really hurt so i didnt do it. Should i be worried about this? like i said his feet arnt swollen or anything but he has been chewing on them a lot, its just i react to bad to just 1 or 2 ants the idea of him getting bitten by so many scares me.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
How about filling the sink with some warm water and letting him stand in it and sort of swoosh the water around to get any ants out that could be hiding in there. And maybe the anti-ant stuff you put on is bothering him and this will get it all off.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Apr 9 2005, 07:32 PM
Awww, I have no idea.  Are they the kind of ants that bite?  If he doesn't seem to act any different I don't think I would worry about it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50967
[/QUOTE]

Yeah they bit, despite my best efforts a few did get me (just one bit on my hand and now its actully hard for me to type how pathetic is that lol)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Apr 9 2005, 07:33 PM
How about filling the sink with some warm water and letting him stand in it and sort of swoosh the water around to get any ants out that could be hiding in there. And maybe the anti-ant stuff you put on is bothering him and this will get it all off.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50969
[/QUOTE]

I got them all off i am positive of that i am just worried about the bits that a already there, i cant see any but like a said he has been chewing on his feet and it really seemed to hurt when i tried to brush his feet.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Ugh! Were they the tiny ants, or the big black carpenter like ants?
I would think if they were the tiny ones, that maybe they wouldn't bother him too much, but the bigger, biting ones....they can hurt BAD! We have some of those big carpenter ants in our yard that we have to put stuff down to kill every year. They bite, it hurts, and they are SO hard to kill! Indestructable!

Anyway, kisses to Sunny. I hope they weren't the biting kind, and that they just tickled her enough to bug her...maybe the alcohol/vingegar and stuff has irritated her feet too. Hugs to both of you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by tlunn@Apr 9 2005, 07:36 PM
I would think if they were the tiny ones, that maybe they wouldn't bother him too much, but the bigger, biting ones....they can hurt BAD! We have some of those big carpenter ants in our yard that we have to put stuff down to kill every year. They bite, it hurts, and they are SO hard to kill! Indestructable!

Anyway, kisses to Sunny. I hope they weren't the biting kind, and that they just tickled her enough to bug her...maybe the alcohol/vingegar and stuff has irritated her feet too. Hugs to both of you.
  Good luck.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50974
[/QUOTE]

I think he might have gotten into more than one pile becuase some of the ants were tiny but others were HUGE lol, i wouldnt have done the alchohol vinagar except that i had to kill them before trying to pick them all out.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521+Apr 9 2005, 07:38 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Apr 9 2005, 07:36 PM

Good luck.

I think he might have gotten into more than one pile becuase some of the ants were tiny but others were HUGE lol, i wouldnt have done the alchohol vinagar except that i had to kill them before trying to pick them all out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50976
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, she might have gotten bitten too, poor thing...
I wonder if soaking her feet in baking soda or something might help? Maybe even a dose of Benadryl, although I don't know the dose. It might help the itch/irritation if she did get bitten. -_-

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by tlunn+Apr 9 2005, 07:40 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2005, 07:38 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Apr 9 2005, 07:36 PM

Good luck.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50976

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, she might have gotten bitten too, poor thing...
I wonder if soaking her feet in baking soda or something might help? Maybe even a dose of Benadryl, although I don't know the dose. It might help the itch/irritation if she did get bitten. -_-
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50977
[/B][/QUOTE]

I but bactien on his feet to try to helpt with the itch but that was hours ago, i might give him a benadryl before bed though i know the vet said 1/2 was safe for keeping him sedated on the plane ride so i assume i would give him 1/2 for this as well

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
My bad...I was calling HIM a HER...sorry!
Give him my biggest apologies.

I would try the Benadryl...don't think it could hurt, only help.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by tlunn@Apr 9 2005, 07:45 PM
My bad...I was calling HIM a HER...sorry!
Give him my biggest apologies.

I would try the Benadryl...don't think it could hurt, only help.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50980
[/QUOTE]

LOL its fine EVERYONE thinks he is a girl.

Wonder if soaking in Epson salts would help...that is supposed to be soothing.....[/B]
Maybe, i dont have any around the house though and its almost 9 so i wont be going out it still seems to be bothering him tommorrow i might get some though, i dont want him chewing on his feet so much he could get an infection or something (used to happen to my old dog all the time when i think back i dont know how he survived so many staph (staff, staf ? i dont know how to spell it) infections)

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
This web site offered the following advice: http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/skin.htm

1 quart water, 1 heaping teaspoon of thyme, 1/4 tsp. Epsom salt. Boil everything together for 5 minutes then let it sit overnight. Strain off the herbs and refrigerate unused portion. You can add it to shampoo and make a medicated shampoo, also works for ant bites, red bumps flea dermatis, etc.

Were they fire ants?

EDIT: 1 heaping teaspoon of dried sage should be added to the recipe above.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Apr 9 2005, 08:08 PM
This web site offered the following advice:  http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/skin.htm

1 quart water, 1 heaping teaspoon of thyme, 1/4 tsp. Epsom salt. Boil everything together for 5 minutes then let it sit overnight. Strain off the herbs and refrigerate unused portion. You can add it to shampoo and make a medicated shampoo, also works for ant bites, red bumps flea dermatis, etc.

Were they fire ants?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50984
[/QUOTE]

No they wernt fire ants (not that the yard isnt full of those as well)

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
OOOPS.... the mixture for the ants was missing an ingredient... sage... here is the corrected recipe:

1 quart water, 1 heaping teaspoon dried sage, 1 heaping teaspoon of thyme, 1/4 tsp. Epsom salt. Boil everything together for 5 minutes then let it sit overnight. Strain off the herbs and refrigerate unused portion. You can add it to shampoo and make a medicated shampoo, also works for ant bites, red bumps flea dermatis, etc.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Oh feel so bad for Sunny, I know my husband and kids get ant bites all the time in the summer and it HURTS and iches I like JMM idea Benadryl.
Hope he's OK
Summer sends her love

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521+Apr 9 2005, 07:34 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Caesar's Mommie
@Apr 9 2005, 07:32 PM
Awww, I have no idea.  Are they the kind of ants that bite?  If he doesn't seem to act any different I don't think I would worry about it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50967
Yeah they bit, despite my best efforts a few did get me (just one bit on my hand and now its actully hard for me to type how pathetic is that lol)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50970
[/B][/QUOTE]

they bit you?
wow... i've never encountered an ant that bit before... its proabbyl hurt from ant bites then.. good luck and he will get better soon!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
OMG! Thank goodness they weren't fire ants. I think they could kill a small dog. Hope everything is OK now. I didn't know that other ants would bite. The sting of a fire ant is terrible pain. I have horrible memories of looking down and finding myself standing in a fire ant mound; not once but several times!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts