Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My younger brother (he is 19) went to the doctor in Feb for a yearly checkup. They discovered is iron count was 20. I guess it is supposed to be above 30. The doc had him see another doc 2 days later. His iron count was down to 17. They wanted him to have a colonoscopy and Brad refused. He just went back yesterday for a recheck and his iron count is down to 7! He finally agreed to have a colonscopy and now they also want to do an Upper GI. They are going to schedule it for Monday.

I talked to a nurse that works for our company and she said that more then likely it is not going to be something as simple as changing his diet. Something is seriously wrong. She said it could be colon cancer or leukemia. Of the two she said to pray for leukemia. Since leukemia is usually treatable.

My whole family is scared to death.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
:eek: OMG! My thoughts and prayers are with your family...I hope he gets a good report!!!!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
kristi.. i'm so, so sorry
that is extremely scary. i hope everything turns out OK
i don't pray alot, but i'll be praying for him

i know how you feel.. there was a brief moment where the doctors thought i had leukemia.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Oh my goodness, who would not be scared ! But colon cancer at age 19 ? that would be unusual so young. I hope your brother will be ok. If something is caught early on nowadays there is a good chance of recovery.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I wish him and your family well! This is very sad news. I'll be thinking about ya!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Jun 1 2005, 10:29 AM
Oh my goodness, who would not be scared ! But colon cancer at age 19 ? that would be unusual so young. I hope your brother will be ok. If something is caught early on nowadays there is a good chance of recovery.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67624
[/QUOTE]

My thoughts are with you and your family. Colon cancer can hit the young, unfortunetly it happened to someone I know.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
My Prayers are with you all as you try and figure out what is in fact wrong with your brother. Keep positive and pray.

Susan

·
Registered
323 Posts
That is so scary and he is so young. I am glad he is going to have the procedures done. It is a ruling out process at this point, they start with the easiest possible and start ruling out possibilities. I will keep him in my prayers as well as your family.........

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. Try to stay positive until all tests are done. I've heard of situations where it turned out to be something that wasn't as bad as originally thought. Le'ts pray that that is the situation with your brother.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Kristi,
I will keep your brother and your family in my prayers....don't freak out, that's what testing is for, to find out for SURE what the problem may be. Please, also, do not take "well meaning" advice from anyone, even a "nurse". A nurse should know enough to NOT make guesses....they are NOT trained for that, that's why we have Doctors. Breath, and remember, we are all here to support you in any way we can. PM me if you want to....

Melana

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jun 1 2005, 11:45 AM
I am so sorry to hear this.  Try to stay positive until all tests are done. I've heard of situations where it turned out to be something that wasn't as bad as originally thought. Le'ts pray that that is the situation with your brother.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67638
[/QUOTE]

I agree, try your best to think positive. 10 years ago my Dr. thought I may have sickle cell because I was not keeping vitamin B in my system. It turned out I as just anemic.
I will keep your bother in my prayers.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I am so sorry, try to be positive as much as you can, I will also pray for your brother and your family.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Aw Kristi,So sorry to hear this.Everyone has to try to stay positive. I know how hard it is for you all.Prayers coming that all will end up well. Tell your brother that positive thinking has been proven to help the outcome of many things.So stay strong ,all of you.
We're here for ya girl.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
omg!! leukemia IS treatable? Always?? When i was growing up a girl that lived on my block dead of leukemia.. why couldnt they treat her?

I really hope things turn out good... my prayers are with your whole family.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Kodie@Jun 1 2005, 12:58 PM
omg!!  leukemia IS treatable?  Always??  When i was growing up a girl that lived on my block dead of leukemia.. why couldnt they treat her?

I really hope things turn out good... my prayers are with your whole family.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67684
[/QUOTE]
I think she meant the survival rate is a lot higher then colon cancer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh Hun, I'm sorry to read about this. don't worry, the universe will conspier and everything will fall into place. My best friends mom is dying of cancer, it started in the ovarys and just spread everywhere, she has done many (7) rounds of kemo. Then a few weeks ago we found out his dad has testicular cancer, still to soon to see whats needed. I got to Devins house to see him mom as much as I can, Oh by the way... one of her favorate things is JOLIE!!!!
Your brother is young and strong! With the love around him he will rise.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts