Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a female, spayed that marked..I didn't know it was her until I started watching her..She pees where ever Daisy pees.. She comes in from peeing outside and she actually picks up her leg, like a male and makes little "pees"...
She just started doing this..I took her to the vet, she checked.. no UTI.. She said she thinks she's marking..
When Gracie and Pearlie first came, Gracie didn't charge at the other dogs when they eat..she charges at Daisy...

Gracie is the middle sized of the 3..

I talked to former owner and she said Gracie would charge at Pearlie and not let her eat..

I can separate them while eating.. no problem but the marking is a new one for me..

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
In my life, I've had two females that wanted to pee over another female "housemate's" normal peeing. One I have now, and she also lurks closely behind another female as she is doing her business, she is so eager to do the same thing. She does not do that about the tiniest dog's "spots." I think it is the female who perceives herself to be second in order that is marking over the top female's spots. She will do this outside and also inside where the top female is so excellent about using puppy pads. At least that helps reinforce use of the papers!

The smallest of my three is really the feistiest, but she's so much smaller, and toothless, that I think #2 girl thinks of her as her puppy (she's had a couple). She seems so bemused when the little one gets feisty.

Maybe you could make them stay outside longer so that she's more likely to empty her bladder outside and not have enough left to mark with inside. :giggle:

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my life, I've had two females that wanted to pee over another female "housemate's" normal peeing. One I have now, and she also lurks closely behind another female as she is doing her business, she is so eager to do the same thing. She does not do that about the tiniest dog's "spots." I think it is the female who perceives herself to be second in order that is marking over the top female's spots. She will do this outside and also inside where the top female is so excellent about using puppy pads. At least that helps reinforce use of the papers!

The smallest of my three is really the feistiest, but she's so much smaller, and toothless, that I think #2 girl thinks of her as her puppy (she's had a couple). She seems so bemused when the little one gets feisty.

Maybe you could make them stay outside longer so that she's more likely to empty her bladder outside and not have enough left to mark with inside. :giggle:
I let them a lot longer with it being warm weather..I swear she holds it backk..
The littlest one, and Daisy the biggest onepee in longer bouts..
Old "sneaky pants", she just does little quick ones, but tries to get over the Daisy's spot to dribble on it..
This just started after the newest were here a couple weeks.. .I'm sure she's trying to assert dominance.. she charges Daisy while eating so I set Daisy on my lap and let her et first and "shoo" Gracie back...
Poor Daisy is so skittish, being a former mill dog..
She's bigger than Gracie and could kick her butt..

We supervise eating, just to make sure it doesn't turn violent.

Odd thing is Gracie is also timid, if you come up on her she crouches low and dribbles.. The former owner thinks the breeder was mean to her...
Gracie does act nervous when picked up and clingy when held,but relaxes and loves being snuggled and she loves cuddling next to us.. All three snuggle together too..

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
5,988 Posts
I definitely think its marking behavior. My Suki is like a camel and can hold her urine easily for 24 plus hours, UNLESS a dog comes into my house, or when I brought Ling Ling home or if I take her to someone elses house who has a dog and then she will pee all over in tiny spots.
As far as when Ling came into our house, it was definitely months before Suki stopped marking. I think she just needed to claim her territory and make it clear to my other two.
Maybe you could use diapers for now, idk. 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
11 Posts
We got our Morkie, Mandy, when she was 8 months old. My 1 yr old toy poodle, Hannah, immediately loved her and they became best friends. From the start, Hannah would pee on top of wherever Mandy did, sometimes even as she was peeing! LOL! It was especially important to her when we traveled. We always took it as a sign of protection. After Mandy passed in September, we got Maggie, our Maltese. Hannah was still mourning Mandy, since they had been together for 9 years, when Maggie came home with us. After about 2 months, Hannah started peeing on top of Maggie's pee......and let Maggie kiss/lick her on the mouth and play together. It appears to us that this is her sign of love and protection. Hope this helps. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts