Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
I've had several dogs with heart problems, but they were all older (and some were rescued as oldies with neglected mouths). One, who I had before Vetmedin became available, went on for a couple more years, passing at over 17 years of age. A couple others were treated with Vetmedin and other medications.

I know that studies show very good results with Vetmedin. My only complaint about it was that it seemed to leave the system fairly rapidly, and one of my dogs had a fainting episode after I got stuck at work and he got his dose a couple hours late!

That was several years ago, so maybe it's prepared differently now. If not, hopefully you can be consistent about his medication schedule. :)

The older meds that my previous dogs got (cardoxin or digoxin and digitoxin family of drugs) didn't seem to have that problem, but they may have had other side effects. I know my oldest one had to take some additional meds to protect her kidney function.

It sounds like you're a very conscientious and "pet guardian" :) , and I wish you and your dog the best! :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
:grouphug: I'm sorry the diagnosis wasn't better, but with the medications that are available, and help from your medical team and you, I know she'll get the best chance she can have. We'll all be hoping that the treatment gives you good quality and length of time together.

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
This thread is very old, and the person you're directing the question to has apparently not been on the board for several years. I don't know why. :(

If you have questions about heart disease, maybe you could start a whole new thread -- or if that's not possible yet, find a newer one to post in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts