Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greenies
You guys check this out.What do you think?I found it (that other place) Should we not give this to our babies anymore? I think our furrbutts chew them up to good to do this,but not sure now. :eek: This seems to have been a big dog.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
It looks like the dog broken the greenie into 3 pieces and then swallowed the pieces without chewing. The only time Lexi has a piece that big in her mouth is when it is too small for me to hold. Even then she chews it up.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
parker doesnt swallow anything without chewing it until is is tiny psrticles. if ur dog has swallowed things whole, than anything you feed them large has the possiblitiy of doing this.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@Jan 20 2005, 05:21 PM
Greenies
You guys check this out.What do you think?I found it (that other place) Should we not give this to our babies anymore? I think our furrbutts chew them up to good to do this,but not sure now.  :eek: This seems to have been a big dog.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30592
[/QUOTE]

I don't give Greenies to Kallie any more. She gobbles them up and one night she vomited and there was quite a large piece of Greenie in it. I'm just thankful she got it out of her system or who knows what could have happened. I do give them to Catcher who eats more slowly. It's "funny" because he will leave the very end. So I throw it away so he won't get hold of it and possibly choke.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jan 20 2005, 06:08 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sheila2182
@Jan 20 2005, 05:21 PM
Greenies
You guys check this out.What do you think?I found it (that other place) Should we not give this to our babies anymore? I think our furrbutts chew them up to good to do this,but not sure now.  :eek: This seems to have been a big dog.
I don't give Greenies to Kallie any more. She gobbles them up and one night she vomited and there was quite a large piece of Greenie in it. I'm just thankful she got it out of her system or who knows what could have happened. I do give them to Catcher who eats more slowly. It's "funny" because he will leave the very end. So I throw it away so he won't get hold of it and possibly choke.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30603
[/B][/QUOTE]

Brinkley doesn't like it, but I take the final end from him too when I catch it.
I don't think he would swallow it in pieces big enough to hurt him anyway...but who knows?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Jan 20 2005, 09:20 PM
Any and all chewies should be given only under careful supervision. I have seen greenies act like newspaper and glue teeth together. If your dog gobbles down pieces, larger safer bones would be a better choice.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30622
[/QUOTE]

Jackie, I'm not sure what you mean by "act like newspaper and glue teeth together"???

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
My puppies like those edible nylabones. They last pretty long, and I get rid of them once they chew the ends off. Anyway, I've been reading on the boards about greenies so thought I'd give them a try. On Monday I gave Sassy one while Sadie was chewing the last Nylabone. Of course Miss Sadie HAD to have the greenie and she chewed on it a while. I was watching and she didn't seem to be making much progress. I combed Sassy's hair and did her top knot and then called Sadie to do hers. Her hair was down over her face and when I went to brush it back it was sort of glued down over her eyes - to her teeth. The greenie thing was all over her teeth and the hair was all stuck. I had to use a warm wash cloth to clean her up and that was the END of greenies at my house! LOL

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
OMG.. that was quite horrible.. I think I might upgrade Tuffy to the larger ones just so I can take the end nub away from him. I've never seen him swallow a large chunk but you can never be too careful. Yikes.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jan 20 2005, 09:27 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Jan 20 2005, 09:20 PM
Any and all chewies should be given only under careful supervision. I have seen greenies act like newspaper and glue teeth together. If your dog gobbles down pieces, larger safer bones would be a better choice.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30622
Jackie, I'm not sure what you mean by "act like newspaper and glue teeth together"???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30623
[/B][/QUOTE]

LOL I guess that is a little random. If dogs chew up newspaper it will become pasty and can essentially glue their teeth together and you have to sedate them to remove it with dental tools. We had 2 dogs who got small chunks of greenie in their teeth and it did the same thing.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
My daughter's 100 pound lab swallowed his first Greenie whole. She didn't think to tell her husband about it and from what he says, he nearly had a heart attack when Muttley threw up a huge green toothbrush later on. We're always had a laugh about it, but those pictures are pretty scary. I am forwarding that article on to her.

I stopped giving Lady Greenies simply because she's just as happy with a CET chew of a piece of chicken breast jerky. Also, I did notice pieces of undigested Greenies in her poop when I cleaned up after her.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jan 20 2005, 06:08 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sheila2182
@Jan 20 2005, 05:21 PM
Greenies
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30603
[/B][/QUOTE]

The same thing has happen couple of times with daezie and maya. I have notice chunks of greenies when they throw up. I just run out of greenies and I don't think I will be buying any more

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I don't know. I saw it on the other site too. Kind of scary... I just bought a pack on 10 on friday. . The puppys like it and they always chew it up. I have never seen any cunks around. It take them 4 to four days to finish one each.
I don't know what to do now.. I have never had any issues... that that picture is just scary.

I'm wondering if it just becase it's a big dog and he pit of chunks of it. the puppys naw at it . I've never seen them take a bit out of it.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Jan 21 2005, 11:19 AM
Jackie,  the other day Digby swallowed about a 2 -3 inch piece of bully stick.  I had just come downstairs, hubby was watching TV, not paying too much attention to the size of the bully stick she was chewing on, I think he thought she was chewing on a longer one.  Anyways I had my hands full, so dumped everything to go over and grab it from her, too late she swallowed it. 

I am watching her closely, she seems to be normal, eats, drinks, pees poops, plays. 

I guess my question is how long does it take for symptoms to appear, if it was stuck in her gut, or would I have noticed right away?  IT has been about 3 days now.

Unfortunately I have to fly across the country for a family emergency.  I am going to make sure hubby wattches her diligently.  It is going to be hard, worrying about Digby that she will be okay and being with my Dad who we think is not going to make it, he has been in the hospital for a month now and there is nothing left for them to do.

So if it has been a few days since she swallowed the bully stick,  btw it was rather well chewed, she will be okay?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30660
[/QUOTE]

If she starts vomiting, stops eating, seems lethargic, has a tense of painful abdomen, or strains to defecate she should see a vet. It can definately sit in their stomach for a while, but hopefully it will just digest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@Jan 20 2005, 05:21 PM
Greenies
[/QUOTE]
I've been a lurker here forever, and I happen to be a member at that site, too. How weird is that? That oes site is a panic! Did you see the pictures of the sheepdog on the computer? It's in the pictures gallery or photos place or something like that.

Anyway I posted the greenies link on another board that I belong to. People should have the right to choose what they treat their furkids with based on information.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by BillW@Jan 24 2005, 02:43 PM
I've been a lurker here forever, and I happen to be a member at that site, too.  How weird is that? That oes site is a panic! Did you see the pictures of the sheepdog on the computer? It's in the pictures gallery or photos place or something like that.

Anyway I posted the greenies link on another board that I belong to. People should have the right to choose what they treat their furkids with based on information.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31143
[/QUOTE]

hey u should introduce yourself !!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts