Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine sent me this today. I can't believe it.
Dog Treat May Carry Danger
Wayne Havrelly
KIRO 7 Consumer Investigator

UPDATED: 9:01 am PST November 15, 2005

A KIRO 7 Consumer Investigation exposes a potentially deadly problem involving one of the most popular dog treats on the market.

Millions of dogs chew on the treats every day, and there's a good chance your pooch is one of them.

Consumer Investigator Wayne Havrelly discovered the danger.

These dog treats are called "Greenies." They're sold in stores everywhere.

But our investigation found Greenies and products like them can pose a real danger to dogs.

Matthew Balkman of Issaquah uses cheese to reward his dog "Beau."

He used to use Greenies, a doggie treat designed to clean teeth and freshen doggie breath.

"The dogs do like 'em. They're tasty; he liked eating them," Balkman said.

But last May, Beau acted started acting sluggish after eating one.

"He wasn't eating at all," Balkman said. "I took him to the vet, the vet monitored him for a day and said there was something obstructing his bowel, 'We need to go in and operate.'"

Dr. Jayne Jensen performed the operation and removed a large green lump from Beau's intestine.

"She handed it to me, asked me if I knew what this is, and I said, 'Yes, that's a Greenie,'" Balkman said.

The package says Greenies are "100 percent edible" but a company spokeswoman told us they are "85 percent digestible."

"That was not 85 percent digestible," Jensen said. "That was not digestible."

Constance Odle's dog Berkley is recovering from the same emergency surgery. But instead of a Greenie, a similar product was blocking the dogs intestine.

"At first, I thought he ate a piece of a toy and when the vet told me what it was, I felt terrible guilt because I was the one who gave it to him," Odle said.

MORE ON THIS STORY
greenies.com

Berkley is the latest of several dogs Dr. Jennifer McBride has operated on after eating teeth cleaning products, mostly Greenies.

"We will see things in abdomens that will dissolve like bones and over time, they will dissolve and go away. But these are mostly indisolvable, so they tend to get stuck more often," McBride said.

Our investigation discovered the results are sometimes fatal.

"I tried to revive her," said Gilbert Wright.

Wright lost his prized show dog, "Pompey of the Desert" after feeding him a petite size greenies treat. He feels an overwhelming sense of guilt.

"And I will feel that ways for the rest of my life!" Wright said.

During our investigation we tracked down nine people who claim their dogs died after eating greenies. We passed that information on to the company.

A warning on the Greenies label says to make sure you're giving the right size Greenie for your breed of dog. It also cautions you to "monitor your dog to ensure the treat is adequately chewed".

"They don't chew. They don't even have the muscles to chew. I mean, we chew, we do that. Dogs don't do that," said Jensen.

"They also say on their Web site to avoid gulping or sloppy eating but heck people can't even train their children not to do that," said Gilbert Wright.

Company officials with Greenies declined our request for an on-camera interview.

They sent us a statement expressing sadness over all the dogs in our investigation. They say "millions of Greenies are sold and enjoyed by dogs, every week without incident."

And "though injurious incidents are rare, more often than not, the pet is not fed according to our feeding directions."

Gilbert Wright just got a new Pompey, but his heart will always be with the show champion original who won countless awards for agility.

Beau has recovered from surgery and Mathew Balkman feels lucky.

"I'm saddened for the people that have actually lost their pets because we came very close."

Vets say nearly all dog treats, chews and toys can make your pets sick.

They say it's important to keep a close eye on them.

Heres the link http://www.kirotv.com/investigations/5325021/detail.html

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Vets say nearly all dog treats, chews and toys can make your pets sick.[/B]
i think this is a very good statement, i'm not saying greenies are harmless, agreeing or disagreeing with the report, but there are many reported and probably even more unreported problems like these with many other treats, food, toys, etc etc

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
That's true. And your dog can also choke on something he or she finds outside while on a walk. He or she could also eat it and then it prove to be undigestible or give him/her food poisoning. Anything they put in their mouths (and anything we put into ours) could prove to be toxic, fatal, or a choking hazard.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Originally posted by Joe@Nov 21 2005, 11:07 PM
Vets say nearly all dog treats, chews and toys can make your pets sick.
i think this is a very good statement, i'm not saying greenies are harmless, agreeing or disagreeing with the report, but there are many reported and probably even more unreported problems like these with many other treats, food, toys, etc etc
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122091
[/B][/QUOTE]

agreed. i've not said anything on this topic until now, because my stand has always been "where do you draw the line?". buttercup chokes very regularly on water. do i rush her to the vet each time? wait until i realize "oh, it's just water"? even more so, do i stop giving her water all together????

i'm not saying that i take this topic lightly, but i think greenie brand is getting the brunt of consumer angst because it is a product that is supposed to be beneficial for dogs' breath/teeth. toys that dogs choke on (parts that come off, etc) are toys, nothing nutritious or "beneficial" to them. thus, less of a "this product is REALLY good" letdown.

what can i do to keep buttercup from choking on water? aside from NOT give her any? water bottles dont work, she's figured out how to keep the little ball far enough "in" to keep a steady flow of water going into her mouth. buttercup also chokes on kibble. i will still continue to give her kibble. am i any less of a "good dog mom"? sure, in the eyes of some, i am. to me or the buttercup (the only two that matter to ME)? meh. no complaints yet.

just my two cents.

ann marie and the buttercup

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by TheButtercup+Nov 21 2005, 09:43 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Joe
@Nov 21 2005, 11:07 PM
<div class='quotemain'>Vets say nearly all dog treats, chews and toys can make your pets sick.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122091
[/B][/QUOTE]

agreed. i've not said anything on this topic until now, because my stand has always been "where do you draw the line?". buttercup chokes very regularly on water. do i rush her to the vet each time? wait until i realize "oh, it's just water"? even more so, do i stop giving her water all together????

i'm not saying that i take this topic lightly, but i think greenie brand is getting the brunt of consumer angst because it is a product that is supposed to be beneficial for dogs' breath/teeth. toys that dogs choke on (parts that come off, etc) are toys, nothing nutritious or "beneficial" to them. thus, less of a "this product is REALLY good" letdown.

what can i do to keep buttercup from choking on water? aside from NOT give her any? water bottles dont work, she's figured out how to keep the little ball far enough "in" to keep a steady flow of water going into her mouth. buttercup also chokes on kibble. i will still continue to give her kibble. am i any less of a "good dog mom"? sure, in the eyes of some, i am. to me or the buttercup (the only two that matter to ME)? meh. no complaints yet.

just my two cents.

ann marie and the buttercup
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=122102
[/B][/QUOTE]

I totally agree. Sometimes Miko slurps down water way too fast and seems to chocke on it. Why?? I am not really sure. We can't stop giving him water :new_Eyecrazy: .

We continue giving Miko greenies. Not all the time -- just a few times a week as we have been doing for over 2 years. It gives him such joy in life -- I can't deprive him of it. I can't be sure that his other chewies are any safer. Do you not let your dog walk outside for the fear of stepping on glass, being bitten by a bee or being attacked??? Not us, sorry!! He needs to live a little even if he is a slightly chubby 7 lb white doggy. I am sure this could be added to my bad mommy list (along with bringing him with us to restaurants
) but oh well.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I sent this question to the company regarding the reports on greenies as I too am concerned about the product and what has been reported and here below is a copy of my question to them and their response.

Subject: Greenies Question/Answer

Question:
------------------------
I have heard of pets suffering intestinal obstructions from this
product. Some have been reported to result in the death of the animal and
others have required surgical removal of the swallowed portion of the
greenie. Are you attempting to rectify this problem?

Answer:
------------------------
Millions of Greenies® are sold each week. On rare occurrences, we
are troubled by an incident where a pet owner has said that his/her dog
has had a problem with Greenies®. When we do hear of these reports,
we always conduct a thorough investigation. Typically, the results of
our investigations have revealed that the pet has been given the wrong
size Greenies® by its owner or the pet has swallowed an abnormally
large piece of Greenies® without chewing it. As such, we strongly
recommend purchasing the correct size Greenies® according to the size and
weight of your pet. Additionally, we recommend all pet owners supervise
their pet's eating and chewing habits. And not just with Greenies®,
but when given dog bones, treats, rawhides, and even while eating meals.

Our size recommendations are as follows:

Lil’ Bits: Dogs under 5 pounds, dogs less than 6 months old, dogs of
any size or age who tend to gulp

Teenies: Dogs between 5 and 15 pounds, over 6 months old and good
chewers

Petite: Dogs between 15 and 25 pounds, over 6 months old and good
chewers

Regular: Dogs between 25 and 50 pounds, over 6 months old and good
chewers

Large: Dogs between 50 and 100 pounds, over 6 months old and good
chewers

Jumbo: Dogs over 100 pounds, over 6 months old and good chewers.

Hopefully this information makes you feel better about our product. Any
additional questions can be sent to Dr. Bradley Quest, our technical
services veterinarian, at [email protected]. Please feel free to pass
this response on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi,
Honestly, I do agree with "most" of your opinions. BUT, to the contrary, Greenies are NOT that great for them....... They are FULL of CHLORPHYLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Try "FLOSSIES". Best ones are from Merrick. 100% pure beef tendon... GREAT for the teeth & FULLY digestable!!!!Jellybn1

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is true about more than just greenies its also rawhide bones. If you read my post "HELP" you could see the horrible thing that happened to obi. Im glad i never gave him a greenie because he obviously cant digest things very well. Thanks for posting this Kelly!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am not suprised - my Ethel picked up a greenie from another dog, the owner said it was fine... she in haled it and I had to do the puppy heimlich and run her in the vet.

I don't give my girls anything like greenies - but I do give them flossies and bully sticks. They don't chew up as much and I can leave them alone with them at a certain size and then come back and know immediately when they are too small then I take them away... they don't chew down quickly.

But I hate greenies!

and so do Lucy and Ethel!

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I just ordered Chloe some CET Chews off the internet. Has anyone heard of these or had any problem with them?

TIA
Lynda

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I just ordered Chloe some CET Chews off the internet. Has anyone heard of these or had any problem with them?

TIA
Lynda
[/B]

My vet has 3 Maltese and when I told him Pico won't touch Greenies, he suggested the CET chew sticks. I give Pico maybe one a week and he will let it lay around sometimes then will pick it up and chew it until it's gone. It seems to break up into small pieces as he chews and it takes him almost an hour to chew a single small stick. (they are flat sticks). He's never had a problem choking or coughing or anything like that with these so I feel pretty good about him eating them.

He is always with my husband or I so we are supervising him too.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
My opinion on the issue is no secret...... Here is yet another article reposted from a Maltese Breeders Forum . Very true that a dog can choke on water (not sure I have ever head of a pet dying as a result of that) or on any treat but never have I seen the number of articles warning against use of a treat like those against the use of Greenies. Everyone makes their own choices in life for themselves as well as for their pets. I can't imagine choosing to give my pet something for which the overwhelming evidence shows is potentially lethal. But then we often make unhealthy choices for ourselves so I guess it would follow that we occasionally make unhealthy choices for our pets.

Manufacturer of Pet Treat “Greenies”
Sued over Dog’s Death

The popular dog treat sold under the name “Greenies” is the subject of a lawsuit filed November 30, 2005, with the Supreme Court of the State of New York. The complaint contends that the product, manufactured by Missouri-based S&M NuTec, is unsafe, inadequately labeled, and ultimately caused the death of the plaintiff’s 4-year old dog, named Burt.

S&M NuTec has made claims that Greenies are “highly digestible,” and the product comes with packaging statements such as “100% edible” and “veterinarian approved!” Given these claims, the plaintiffs were stunned by the cause of death of their family member Burt, a rescued Miniature Dachshund. Burt died this summer after an undigested portion of a Greenies dog treat became lodged in his intestinal tract. In an attempt to save his life, Burt underwent emergency surgery that resulted in the removal of over 3 feet of dead intestinal tissue along with the cause of the obstruction: an undigested piece of a Greenie. Despite the necessary surgical procedure, Burt died 48 hours after the surgery with the plaintiff’s, Ms. Jennifer Reiff and Mr. Michael Eastwood, by his side.

Billed by S&M NuTec, as a way to “promote healthy teeth and gums,” Greenies are an enormously popular dog treat sold by most pet supply stores. The plaintiff’s have prepared the following statement:

“Our dog didn’t choke to death on the product. He died from it not digesting and obstructing his intestines. We followed their instructions. Burt was always supervised and he always chewed his Greenies well. Yet he died a painful, horrible death. We believe that S&M NuTec chooses to blame the dogs or their owners instead of taking responsibility. Many owners have come forward and shared their similar experiences, leading us to believe that the company is very much aware of the problem.“

Ms. Reiff and Mr. Eastwood allege the “benefits” of Greenies do not outweigh the risks associated with the product. The indigestibility of Greenies is a defect, and had the manufacturer adequately warned of its dangers, the couple would not have provided the treat to Burt, thereby avoiding the cause of his death.

Their attorney, Alan Sash, partner at New York law firm McLaughlin Stern, represents the plaintiffs. The lawsuit seeks damages to be determined at trial for each of the 4 Causes of Action which include: Design Defect and Failure to Warn (Strict Products Liability), Breach of Express Warranty, Negligence and punitive damages in excess of 5 million dollars.

·
Premium Member
20,072 Posts
See what happens when I leave this website for a few months! I start doing things wrong again. Archie and Abbey just love their greenies - I give them the teenie size - probably once or twice a week. They absolutely love them. Should have known they're no good for you....anything too good to be true usually is bad for you!

·
Registered
5,656 Posts

TIA
Lynda
[/B]
Toby and Wally get a CET Chew everynight before we go to bed. They LOVE them! Toby gets the petite (or is it small?) size and he tears through it in under 5 minutes. In fact, if I forget to give him the chew at night, he actually pouts! He will do a crazy sigh that is really loud and then "flop" down on the bed. One night I ran out and he would not let me go to bed, so I had to drive over to my mom's at 2 a.m. to get some from her! :eek:
Can we say spoiled?

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Thanks Toby's Mom, I feel better now, after reading about the greenies. Hopefully Chloe will like the CET Chews. I brush her teeth everyday with the CET toothpaste and an automatic tooth brush. I am hoping the chews will help also with keeping her teeth clean. After bushing her teeth with a finger brush and leaving the automatic tooth brush next to her so she could get used to the sound she finally let me put it in her mouth. Now, I think I will get my husband an automatic toothbrush for Xmas. Is Chloe spoiled, you bet

Lynda

1 - 16 of 16 Posts