Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very good friend who is also a groomer. She raises nice Schnauzers for pet and show. Yet, she didn't know that a Maltese was not a long dog. She had commented on one of mine on my web site, asking why he wasn't long. Her daughter is also a groomer, and she didn't know either. She said that in Indiana the ones they got in their shops were all long. So, if these people I admire in so many other ways don't know about what a Maltese is to look like, then I wonder if this is why some don't know how to do a grooming when a clip is desired.
I still think there are a lot of lazy groomers out there who just shave them because they don't want to take the time to do it right, but there are others who probably just don't know how it is to be done. I take my Dee Dee over 400 miles to get her hair done (when I visit my friend) because she looks good in the Town and Country, and I wouldn't trust anyone here to do it. The one and only time she was groomed here, she looked like a toy poodle.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You hit the nail on the head

Puddles gets a puppy cut, kinda like a lamb with curly tail and long ears. I really don't think the 3 groomers I have been to know what cuts are for Maltese. They always ask me what I want and never any suggestions.

Then again I can't say anything, cause I can't groom my own dog.
Wash / dry / brush is as far as I go.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I have a groomer down here that raises Maltese! She owns the shop, and they actually know how to groom. Unfortunately they also smoke like chimneys at this groomer, but they let me bring Sassy and Sadie and pick them up 2 hours later, so I figure that they aren't exposed all that long.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts