Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm been trying to figure out just how to trim up a Malt using scissors. I've never taken him to a groomer don't think we have anyone in Guymon that knows how to do it anyway.

I have just been trimming a small amount off the ends and sides of his legs. I read on line about trimming the tail using fan method does anyone know exactly how that is done.

I looked at site that Tina suggested but they mainly use clippers and I want to use scissors. Not wanting him in a real short coat it looks ok to me but it could be better.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, or ideas.

Linda and Toby:mellow:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Other than rounding off the feet, I don't use scissors at all. Maybe someone has more experience with this, though. :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hi,

I'm been trying to figure out just how to trim up a Malt using scissors. I've never taken him to a groomer don't think we have anyone in Guymon that knows how to do it anyway.

I have just been trimming a small amount off the ends and sides of his legs. I read on line about trimming the tail using fan method does anyone know exactly how that is done.

I looked at site that Tina suggested but they mainly use clippers and I want to use scissors. Not wanting him in a real short coat it looks ok to me but it could be better.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, or ideas.

Linda and Toby:mellow:
I can't really offer you any help for that, but I was excited to see another Okie! *smiles and waves*. I'm kind of in the Tulsa area :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
Well I guess it's just a trial and error deal, I guess since I only take a small amount off then maybe Toby won't have to be too ashamed of his mommy giving him a trim job.
Yes, it's nice to know there is another Okie, even if it's in opposite part of the state.

Today it was 103 outside.

Linda and Toby:thumbsup:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hi,
Well I guess it's just a trial and error deal, I guess since I only take a small amount off then maybe Toby won't have to be too ashamed of his mommy giving him a trim job.
Yes, it's nice to know there is another Okie, even if it's in opposite part of the state.

Today it was 103 outside.

107 here today (with the heat index...it was really only about 96 or something, but with the humidity...oh man...I can do without that lol)

I've been thinking about trimming Vi with the scissors. I DO trim her feet up with them, but I've never had her hair long enough to trim with scissors (yet). I'm trying to even her coat out tho, so maybe this weekend I'll do a trim up...

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
I have found that using just scissors leave the hair blunt and not blended. After using them go over it with the thinning scissors and that will give it a more blended not blunt look. Of course I am not an expert this is just what works for me and as far as the legs go I haven't got it down yet as Lilly has a hard time standing still when I touch her legs. When I get done and she is walking around I always see bits and piceses sticking out and I think "gees can I do any worse". :)

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I use a variety of scissors and trimmers. I recommend a good pair of barber's shears for a clean cut and small blunt tip scissors. I use scissors on the face(bangs, around the eyes)legs, and tail. I agree with Cindy that using them all over would make it difficult to get the coat to look smooth. I've given a lot of bad haircuts. Fortunately, the hair grows back! :chili:

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I scissor the head, face, legs and tail. I use medium steel scissors everywhere but near the eyes. I don't believe anyone can explain how to do it by typing. It would take some time. There are grooming tapes/discs available on the net. You might do a search. I think yorkies have several cd's regarding grooming, which would help with a maltese.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advice. Toby's coat has gotten down to his feet, but when I go to see my girls that was too long so I've been trimming it a little at a time and have trimmed his legs some also. I've trimmed hair on his back side as poop seems to get stuck sometimes.
I did get me a nice pair of scissors at Sally's and they work lots better than ones I did have.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I learned to scissor from some poodle folks. I believe there are still some good videos on scissoring for poodles out there. The technique will be the same, it is just much, much more difficult to get a finished look on a silky dog.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts