Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am searching for a "grooming system" for Brit'ny. Right now I am using all people products on her. Bed head shampoo that smells like Pina Colada, Pantene Pro V conditioner and BioSilk serum (which I will definitley continue to use, it smells and feels SO great!). I am going to post some brands and products please let me know if you have tried them and if you are happy or not, or any other suggestions!

1. Bluing (yes bluing like the kind for old ladies!) I have an all white SHih-Poo and his groomer, Tracy, puts bluing on him! He is ICE WHITE and it smells great! Anyone try this on a malt?

2. Mr. Groom products?

3. PetSilk (i have heard great things here)

4. BioGroom (i have heard great things somewhere, but have not heard much lately)

5. #1 All Systems Super Whitening Gel 8 oz (does this stuff work?)

ANd to let you know a little about Brit'ny's hair: She has fine, very silky hair. She has normal skin and I don't believe that it is sensitive.

Any suggestions would be great, all the products that they have available are overwhelming me!

Oh and one more thing: Should I stick to one brand or is it good/okay to mix and match?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I mix and match several things, but am either going to start with petsilk or biolage on him. I also have seen somewhere about a people product that someone put on their face that repelled the moisture from the tearstains. It was like silicone glove or something...I cannot find where I read it, or remember the name of it.

I was on a site that sold petsilk the other day, and they have a new whitening gel of some kind. I thought I might try it for the tearstains/beard etc. I am really leaning towards the petsilk.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I have been using the PetSilk products and so far am very happy with them. I have the Moisturizing Shampoo & Rinse, the Leave in Conditioner, & the Bright White Shampoo.

Someone in a previous post mentioned Vellus Pet Products. I was wondering if anyone has tried them? They are more expensive but they have a sample packet for less than $10. I am thinking of giving it a try when I start to get low of PetSilk.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by adorableaccentsdogbows.com@Sep 3 2004, 07:00 AM
What is bluing?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8226
[/QUOTE]

Bluing is a product used for white clothes, but older women who have white or silver hair have been using it for years because the blue makes the hair super white. My shih-poo's groomer has been using it on CIsco for 8 years now and it is VERY mild and smells great! He is REALLY white, we get compliments all the time.

Sounds like Petsilk is the winner. I guess I will try that first but instead of using the whitening shampoo right away, I think I will use the bluing because it is very mild and she is still just a pup!

Nichole I have used the sunglitz stuff too, its just like the Biosilk stuff right? Where you can put it on your body and hair? I just love Biosilk! It makes Brit's hair so shiny silky and smelling good!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Where do you get the bluing? Only at a beauty supply? Are you sure that it is mild. I did not care for the brand of whitening shampoo I bought. It dried parts of Brinkley's hair really badly. I probably won't use it again, and if I could find the receipt I would take it back. Seems like products like the blueing...color for people hair would be really harsh, but I am not a hairdresser. The brightening shampoo I bought off of petedge did well. It is not "whitening" it says it is "brightening" for white coats and other light colors, or mixes that have light or white areas. I am going to stick with it until I get a petsilk order in. My hubby said that I have so many shampoos and conditioners in there right now, that I need to wait. I guess he is right. He looked fine and his hair was great until I used the whitening shampoo. It is slowly softening up some though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, give Pet Silk a shot. If you're looking for a "system" to develope, Pet Silk will offer all the possible products you could want. I personally wouldn't use human hair care products on my dogs, especially the shampoos as the ph levels are different and may not be that good for your pet. I know nothing about "bluing" but I do know that several "whitening Shampoos for dogs" are in fact blue in color. Is this a coincidence or does anyone know if there is a little bit of "bluing in those shampoos?

I have also tried several "tearstain" items including #1 All Systems whitening gel. They've all been kind of "so-so".

Have great Maltese Day
Don

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've used only Petsilk stuff on Tuffy and haven't been disappointed. I've tried the Oatmeal Shampoo & Conditioner (not super fond of the scent of these, but it goes away pretty fast after they are dry), the Whitening Shampoo & Conditioner (smell great but make sure you wash every bit out, otherwise the hair can feel crusty.. I learned that pretty fast), the Leave in Conditioner (LOVE this stuff, it smells so good and is great between baths and for brushing), Liquid Silk (also smells great and cuts down on the frizzies), and Conditioning Silk Rinse (this is great after using the Whitening stuff because it leaves his hair soooo soft).

I want to buy some detangling stuff because Tuffy has been matting so bad, but I don't know what to use.. has anyone heard of Bless the Beasts by Bo Derek? My mom saw these products on QVC and they had a detangling system that she said looked really good, but I've never heard of this stuff before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts