Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
well i know well i get my own hair cut they wash it then cut it..i think some grommer like vacume the dogs when they are dog or something like that lol i would say just give him a bath

·
Registered
939 Posts
I always bath Tiki after a cut and then blow dry.

I checked on the Bhe-Jei site and this is what I found:

Once you have complete the clipping and scissoring you should bath and blow-dry your Maltese.[/B]
I have seen the same instructions on other sites as well.

Maybe next time request that the groomer bath Toby after his cut.

Judi

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
my groomer...well (old groomer) would brush out the hair...so no mats...wash the dogs...and the cut the hair. used a blow dryer to take off the excess hair. so it sounds pretty normal what happened.

does toby like going to the groomers?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, i remember dropping off the dogs and they would be crying when i would leave. my heart would be breaking. it sucked. eventhough the groomers were totally cool and the dogs liked them when they weren't near the grooming areas--they just didnt like being left alone for 4 hours. im starting to do the haircut that the groomers did....i sorta like it more when i do it because i'm able to get it perfect how i want it. gruffi is actually really cool when i trim his eyebrows and whiskers---and he would totally freak when we would do a 5 minute stop at petsmart.

do you have any groomers that go to your house?

i used it once--but the guy that came was HORRIBLE. i think he used a chain on her. i feel sooo bad now.

but i met someone that said that they have someone go to their house and love it. i dont know. just another solution for toby.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i think that if they dont let you watch....then there's something wrong. at petco, the groomers that i had there would let me watch whatever i wanted. i wasnt allowed in the back, but they left the backdoor open while they washed sprite and ellie. and then when my sister was paying them more to do it in an hour---she would cut her hair while i held her. it was really awesome. she would bring the shaver to the front desk and showed me exactly what she would do. the reason i stopped going there in the first place is that they didnt do the cut well. it looked choppy. she used to beg me to let sprite and ellies hair grow long. lol. and then later on i just didnt want to leave them there for so long and the dogs didnt like it.

look at yellowpages.com and see if there are any mobile groomers in your area.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am wondering about the stuff about having them cut his hair really short because he/she doesn't like going in to be groomed. I could be very wrong on this, but my thinking goes something like this. As with anything else, you have to "condition" the dog to it. which means dont' avoid it so he can get used to it. IE: When I got Buddy from the SPCA, he was really afraid of brooms and mops, we won't get into my thoughts as to why he was afraid, but just that he was. Everytime I washed a floor or swept it, he would go crying and cowering off into a corner in another room. Well, we all know, you have to wash your floors and sweep them, but at the same time you dont' want the dog to be afraid of these everyday things. I decided the best thing to do was to make him stay by my side while I did the floors and reached down and pet him every now and then and let him know how good he was doing and how much of a big boy he was for staying. When I spoke to my vet about it, I thought for sure he was going to give it to me good and tell me how cruel I was being to the poor little guy. He did the complete opposite. He said it was obvious something had happened to him, having to do with a broom or mop or maybe both and what I was doing was the right thing. He needed to be conditioned that the mop and broom where safe things and wouldn't hurt him. So my point being, the more they go, the easier it will get. Since I groom Morgan myself, with the exception of the very first time when I got him and he loved it, I am far from an expert on this. But only seems logical to me.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Maybe you could talk to the groomer about a discounted "mini visit" just to have him brushed and trim his feet or something. This way he would get used to the visit without all the "torture"
he thinks is going to happen.

Judi

1 - 16 of 16 Posts