Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Greyhound comb. This is fine/medium. After brushing the coat in layers, I comb through to be sure I did not miss any tangles.

Slicker brush. On a coated dog, I only use this on the feet and underarms. My favorite slicker brush is the small one by Chris Christensen (not the one pictured). Otherwise get a very soft slicker and not a rounded one. On a dog with a puppy cut, you can use this on the body.

Rat tail combs. These are used for making the part down the back and separating hair to do top knots as well as teasing and puffing top knots. The first one has two different lengths of teeth for teasing. You can pick these up at Sally's Beauty Supply very cheaply.

Pin brushes. These are both #1 All Systems. The first is the oblong wooden one. The second is the I'm #1 27 mm pins with white soft pad. I've ordered yet another new pin brush to try (Chris Christensen gold series) and will let ya'll know what I think. The white pad one is the one I use all of the time. Never use a pin brush with balls on the ends. I like this one because it has some "give" to it so is more gentle on the coat.

This is a flea comb. I use it to get goobers off of the face. Be careful not to pull out hair with it.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

First are nail clippers. Second are straight non-locking hemostats to pull ear hair.

First the little blue scissors I use to cut bands out of hair. Always cut bands to remove them. Next are thinning shears. I have these regular ones as well as double-sided thinning shears. They are used for blending on puppy trims. Lastly are shears. I usually use 7 1/2 in shears, but lately am ready for something longer. I usually buy something under $50 and that works well for a home groomer. You don't have to go too fancy.

I use make-up brushes or a toothbrush to apply and remove corn starch used to dry facial hair. Be very careful not to get it in the eyes. I add a touch of baby powder to mine for a nice scent. Straight baby powder I find too dusty.

Grooming sprays (not pictured)...well, I've used tons. Ice on Ice by Chris Christensen is an old stand by. I also use Pantene leave in conditioner. Most commonly I use Thermasilk leave in conditioner. I also like just a touch of Coat Handler conditioner diluted in water. A little Cowboy Magic diluted in water is nice, too. It all depends on the coat and my needs. Always spritz the coat before brushing.

Waterless shampoos (not pictured)...I use either Proline self-rinse in a spray bottle or Absolutely Natural Groom Aid. I go through a lot now so mostly just use the Proline. It is purple. It comes in a squeeze type bottle and I pour it into a spray bottle.

Bows bows and more bows.

Grooming table, drawers, dryer, and temporary shelves (I have different black shelves normally...this pic was taken mid-move). Yes, there is even more stuff than pictures here...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I agree...WONDERFUL information....!!!!!
Now, if I only had the money to go and buy all those tools that I am NOT using (most of them)...and then knew exactly WHAT to do with them?!
When is your tutorial video coming? Ha Ha...in particular, you caught my attention with the thinning shears to "blend" puppy cuts...ha ha...wouldn't have the foggiest idea of what to do there...ha ha...

Where are you?! Maybe you could just come and SHOW me how... he he...

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i was eyeing those thinning shears also...i just trim the hair around parkers head but was wondering how to blend it into his body..now i know. thanks! one more item i have to buy now hehehe

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Dec 29 2004, 10:19 PM
i was eyeing those thinning shears also...i just trim the hair around parkers head but was wondering how to blend it into his body..now i know.  thanks!  one more item i have to buy now hehehe
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26198
[/QUOTE]

Good, when you figure it out...talk me through it...ha ha...
Neither of the groomers I have gone to used those.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
JMM, this is wonderful, thank you. I have quite a few grooming tools, but when I started didn't know which ones were best so I bought what I found.

Looks like I'll be buying some new brushes, LOL! My husband will be rolling his eyes. He thinks I spend way too much money on Sylphide's grooming stuff...

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
THANKS! This is a big help. Anytime that you want to do a puppy topknot session, I would really love that! You are the best!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
so r is there a certain type of thinning shears to use...do u buy the expensive ones..or is that something u can go cheap on?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
WOW! Thanks for taking the time to do that!
Totally cool of ya. Thinning shears are what I need.

TLUNN--That was the biggest difference in my first and second groomer. The first one used the thinners on the body and the second one didnt. Cloud's hair would grow out so perfectly and nicely. The second person did a great job, but it didn't grow out as nicely

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by mee@Dec 30 2004, 01:11 AM
Wow ~~~!!

but where did u buy all your clips and bows?? i dont have a variety of clips and would love to get more 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26234
[/QUOTE]

Marilyn shared her sources for dog bows with me about a year ago and I have been thrilled with them. I don't have 300 (yet), but I've got about 5 compartment boxes full!

http://www.utopiasbows.com

http://mollymariespretties.homestead.com/ (barbara also auctions her bows on Ebay)

http://stores.ebay.com/Vals-Diva-Dos_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

BTW, Jackie also has an awesome top knot pictorial!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thinning shears - I have 2 pair, the ones shown and a pair of double sided thinning shears. I usually spend about $50 for decent shears. I don't need the top knotch ones, and this price range seems to provide a good product.

Bows have come from a variety of places...

To remove mats: fingers! First I spritz with conditioner, then separate what I can with my fingers. Then, depending on the mat and how much I want to save coat, I either use a slicker from the ends slowly working it out or take my greyhound comb and use the last tooth to slowly pull the mat apart, tiny bit by tiny bit.

When you remove a mat and break a lot of hair or cut out a mat, you are going to get more mats as the hairs of two different lengths grow. If you have a really matted dog I would cut it down and start over.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I agree...thank you, thank you for the info. I have been looking a pair of thinning shears. I was going to go to Sally tomorrow and take a look there so thanks for the info. I didn't want to spend a fortune on a pair but I also didn't want to get a cheap pair that I would just have to replace.

I don't have anywhere near the amount of bows you have, but I am working on it. Right now what Lacey likes in her hair are these little clip thingies that are really small. I too like them because they stay in her hair, don't pull at her hair, and are really easy to get out. Plus I like them because I can rearrange her hair and make her pretty again real fast.

I don't put anything under her eyes. I just use water and a washcloth to wipe under her eyes. Should I be using something? Ever since she had her babyteeth pulled she has had no problem with tearstaining, except when she had a yeast infection in her ears. I think I am very lucky with her and tearstaining. But if I should be putting something under her eyes I need to know.

Once again, thank you for all the info.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thinning shears are used to blend two lengths of hair together or to debulk a coat. I use them to blend the head into the body and legs into the body on cut downs. If you debulk a Maltese coat, it will turn into a giant mat so I wouldn't recommend it. I use the double-sided thinning shears for blending the head on a really, really silky coat.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts