Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Grooming

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Saylor 
#1 ·
My Maltese Gianni has very dense, thick, wavy hair. Since a baby he has been impossible to groom. Jumping, twisting and biting, so he goes to groomer every three months. In these troubling times, all groomers are closed. Right now his hair is badly matted. Going to attempt with clippers today. Wish me luck. How can I calm him down. Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

See less See more
#2 ·
Good morning Mollys mom, I'm not sure where you live but here in Calif we have mobil groomers that come to your house - some work out of their van. My daughter has been using this option sine her usual groomer has been closed and she is very pleased. AS far as grooming Gianni yourself I might suggest making sure he is well exercised and some of that energy is expelled (long walk and active play time). Also I have implemented a full body massage on Abella before her "spa day" which was suggested here on SM by Paula (another SM member). I find this helps build trust and gets the pup used to having you touch their body all over. I'm thinking others on here will have more ideas. I know Pippers Mom just attempted her first grooming and did an amazing job - he also has thick hair.

One more thing I'd like to add. With a Maltese it is very important to brush their coat daily covering every inch of their little bodies. This really helps in keeping matting down. Good luck and please keep us updated.
🐶 🐾🌺

Reactions: LROUND
#4 ·
I agree with Abellas mom. Constant conditioning by touching feet often, massaging and daily combing or brushing makes all grooming tasks easier on you and the puppy. Abellas mom thank you for the post on spa day. I found it very helpful. Especially the tips on conditioning to prevent frizzy dry hair. Here in Texas it is heat or air conditioning almost year ounces. Both are drying to the coat. I will try the 15 minute condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.