Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella is a year and 3 months. She is professionally groomed every 2 weeks, still her coat is not down to the ground. How do I prevent breakage when I groom her between groomer visits. I am about to order Ice on Ice recommended in some other emails. Is that the best or one of the best to use when combing and brushing? Right now I am using nothing. I have used pet silk in the past and she got so greasy looking that I stopped.

Thanks for your help.

Sharon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Shareyn@Oct 20 2005, 11:14 AM
Bella is a year and 3 months.  She is professionally groomed every 2 weeks, still her coat is not down to the ground.  How do I prevent breakage when I groom her between groomer visits.  I am about to order Ice on Ice recommended in some other emails.  Is that the best or one of the best to use when combing and brushing?  Right now I am using nothing.  I have used pet silk in the past and she got so greasy looking that I stopped.

Thanks for your help.

Sharon
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111661
[/QUOTE]

Never brush a dry coat. That will cause breakage. Ice on Ice is good. I like that product.

Does she run on carpet? Does she do stairs? Wet grass? All of these things will break the coat.

Your brushing technique can also cause coat breakage. What brush are you using? How do you brush?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by JMM+Oct 20 2005, 11:59 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Shareyn
@Oct 20 2005, 11:14 AM
Bella is a year and 3 months.  She is professionally groomed every 2 weeks, still her coat is not down to the ground.  How do I prevent breakage when I groom her between groomer visits.  I am about to order Ice on Ice recommended in some other emails.  Is that the best or one of the best to use when combing and brushing?  Right now I am using nothing.  I have used pet silk in the past and she got so greasy looking that I stopped.

Thanks for your help.

Sharon
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111661
Never brush a dry coat. That will cause breakage. Ice on Ice is good. I like that product.

Does she run on carpet? Does she do stairs? Wet grass? All of these things will break the coat.

Your brushing technique can also cause coat breakage. What brush are you using? How do you brush?


I have been combing then brushing a dry coat. The house does have carpets, but most of the exposed floor is hard wood only. We do have stairs that are carpeted.

I am using a pin brush.

So should probably order something to use when I brush her?

Thanks.

Sharon
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111679
[/B][/QUOTE]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,036 Posts
The Ice on Ice is used for brushing. Until that order comes in you can take a small amount of conditioner and mix it with water in a spray bottlle and use that to mist her hair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
I'll have to disagree about not brushing dry hair. I've been a hairdresser for 20 years (humans) and I've always been told, and read (on humans) never to use a brush on wet hair. (?) Once wet it should be combed, because wet hair is fragile hair. I'm assuming since everyone says that maltese hair is similar to human, it would be the same. I guess we all have to try what works for us though. Its like nails on a chalkboard for me to see a brush hit wet hair


It does take longer to use a comb, but thats what I do when the hair is wet after a bath, and I use a leave in conditioner to help. Maybe you used too much when you had the greaser look?

I also think trimming helps alot, because no matter what, the ends will get funky just from the elements and once they fray, the fray will spread upwards
if that makes sense... 2 weeks might not be necessary though, maybe once a month?

Phoebe's hair isnt on the ground yet and shes one year. I think her legs are long
and I trim her at least once a month.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Oct 20 2005, 02:29 PM
I'll have to disagree about not brushing dry hair.  I've been a hairdresser for 20 years (humans) and I've always been told, and read (on humans) never to use a brush on wet hair. (?)  Once wet it should be combed, because wet hair is fragile hair.  I'm assuming since everyone says that maltese hair is similar to human, it would be the same.  I guess we all have to try what works for us though.  Its like nails on a chalkboard for me to see a brush hit wet hair 
 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111725
[/QUOTE]

Not soaking wet hair, but a light spritz of some grooming spray or a diluted conditioner. It should be a light mist.


What kind of pin brush are you using? Make sure you are brushing the hair in small sections. Also, make sure you keep your wrist straight and don't "flick" it up as you get to the end of the coat.

If you really want a nice coat, keep her off the carpeted areas as best you can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by JMM+Oct 20 2005, 06:57 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Holliberry
@Oct 20 2005, 02:29 PM
I'll have to disagree about not brushing dry hair.  I've been a hairdresser for 20 years (humans) and I've always been told, and read (on humans) never to use a brush on wet hair. (?)   Once wet it should be combed, because wet hair is fragile hair.  I'm assuming since everyone says that maltese hair is similar to human, it would be the same.   I guess we all have to try what works for us though.  Its like nails on a chalkboard for me to see a brush hit wet hair 
 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111725
Not soaking wet hair, but a light spritz of some grooming spray or a diluted conditioner. It should be a light mist.


What kind of pin brush are you using? Make sure you are brushing the hair in small sections. Also, make sure you keep your wrist straight and don't "flick" it up as you get to the end of the coat.

If you really want a nice coat, keep her off the carpeted areas as best you can.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111825
[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't really know the type pin brush, but it was one the breeder recommended.

Keeping her off the carpet will be tough. Also she has a buddy, Topper and I think rough housing with him may be contributing to the hair growth problem.

Thanks.

Sharon
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
Jackie is absolutely correct about not brushing a dry coat. I did not know that until just recently. Ty's coat was very dry and broken. I was using a comb on dry hair. Luckily someone corrected me before it was too late and now I use a chris christiansen pin brush and always spritz him with conditioner, brushing small sections from the bottem up. In just a month I have seem an amazing difference in his coat.

I have also stopped using whitening shampoo. SInce I am not showing Ty I would rather his hair be healthy and silky than white. The whitening shampoo cn be more drying than the conditioning shampoo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Oct 23 2005, 06:55 PM
Jackie is absolutely correct about not brushing a dry coat.  I did not know that until just recently.  Ty's coat was very dry and broken.  I was using a comb on dry hair.  Luckily someone corrected me before it was too late and now I use a chris christiansen pin brush and always spritz him with conditioner, brushing small sections from the bottem up.  In just a month I have seem an amazing difference in his coat.

I have also stopped using whitening shampoo.  SInce I am not showing Ty I would rather his hair be healthy and silky than white.  The whitening shampoo cn be more drying than the conditioning shampoo.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112711
[/QUOTE]

I found that shampooing twice and using one stronger shampoo of Coat Handler kept my dogs very white. I never used whitening shampoo and my dogs got very dirty - Mikey did agility in the dirt.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
I didn't really notice any difference in his whiteness after I stopped using the whitening shampo, I think clean is clean! But, Ty has alot of "lemon" spots so I never really expect him to be bright white.

I was also told to stop using the slicker brush as it can break the hair. Now we use the pin brush almost exclusively with the comb reserved for face and feet (and top knot). It seems like as his hair gets healthier the matts don't even get started.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top